←  The Lounge

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Sherpa's Film Chat

Willikn's Photo Willikn 14 May 2018

View Postbazooka, on 14 May 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Greedy or smart?  There's 2 ways to look at this.  

..and that is why I thought it was so cool.

ATLien's Photo ATLien 14 May 2018

View Postbazooka, on 14 May 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

So....i'm curious.  Have you guys watched Black Panther more than 1 time?  Did it not impress you as much the 2nd time around?  It just felt strange to me.  Most of the other MCU films have a similar tone that makes them great.  This one IMO felt a little bit like it was on the level of most DC films....loosely slapped together.  Not as well written.  I might watch it again sooner, just to put together a list of my nitpicks.   As of now, its slightly above the last Fantastic Four movie for me.  I think....hell, i know i like the Ben Affleck Daredevil flick more than this one.  And i say this despite liking Chadwick Boseman and a few other cast members' performances.  Andy Serkis....nice to see him in a non-CGI role.  He played a crazy villain pretty well IMO.
Only seen it once.  I'd watch Infinity War a 2nd go around before Panther.  Not because I think it sucked by IW was just that good.  I've never been compelled to watch the Affleck Daredevil flick or should I say, finish watching.  Haven't even fooled with more than just a few minutes of the F4 flick.   Panther delivered for me.  I though it was good.   The conflict of values and ideals in the movies are really no different that the conflict black leaders have had in the past in regards to how they want the people to be led and what's good for the people.  It's a real subject.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 14 May 2018

View PostATLien, on 14 May 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

Only seen it once.  I'd watch Infinity War a 2nd go around before Panther.  Not because I think it sucked by IW was just that good.  I've never been compelled to watch the Affleck Daredevil flick or should I say, finish watching.  Haven't even fooled with more than just a few minutes of the F4 flick.   Panther delivered for me.  I though it was good.   The conflict of values and ideals in the movies are really no different that the conflict black leaders have had in the past in regards to how they want the people to be led and what's good for the people.  It's a real subject.
Agree.  The subject matter is real.  The presentation...i'm trying to find all the right words for it.  It just felt off to me on several occasions. That and several other things.

View Postbazooka, on 14 May 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Agree.  The subject matter is real.  The presentation...i'm trying to find all the right words for it.  It just felt off to me on several occasions. That and several other things.
You also have to take into account that this flick brought out alot of people that normally don't do comic movies as well.  So their critique would be different as well.  Kinda like the difference between casual and hard core boxing fans.  Also, the movie was symbolic to alot of people.  Like you said earlier it made alot of people feel good.  There some people that would damn near be ready to fight you for even offering up a critical word on the movie.   The CGI fighting at the end was a bit much for me as well.  Sometimes you can get away with it but it seemed a bit overpowering, which kinda took away from the fight scenes level of enjoyability.  Compare it to Spidermane which is CGI dependent, I think a better job is done there.

View PostATLien, on 14 May 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

The CGI fighting at the end was a bit much for me as well.  Sometimes you can get away with it but it seemed a bit overpowering

That was my one drawback after the first viewing.  Then again, I was stuck in a theater front row.  I'm hoping it pulls together better on the HDTV.

View PostATLien, on 14 May 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

You also have to take into account that this flick brought out alot of people that normally don't do comic movies as well.  So their critique would be different as well.  Kinda like the difference between casual and hard core boxing fans.  Also, the movie was symbolic to alot of people.  Like you said earlier it made alot of people feel good.  There some people that would damn near be ready to fight you for even offering up a critical word on the movie.   The CGI fighting at the end was a bit much for me as well.  Sometimes you can get away with it but it seemed a bit overpowering, which kinda took away from the fight scenes level of enjoyability.  Compare it to Spidermane which is CGI dependent, I think a better job is done there.
Good analogy.  Very good points mane.  I think that definitely is a factor here.  Lots of black pride is what i saw when watching various reaction and analysis videos on YouTube.  I respect that.  Only makes sense that the casual comic film viewers would show up in droves and defend this film like the Pactards when Manny became a PPV star in America.

BTW....despite all this, i love the Black Panther as a hero in the MCU.  Fantastic character.

View Postbazooka, on 14 May 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

Makes sense that the casual comic film viewers would show up in droves and defend this film like the Pactards when Manny became a PPV star in America.

I don't understand this part.  You mean me?

I prefer to think I'm the opposite of this.  I revel in the stories I loved as a kid becoming blockbuster hits.  A part of me continues to be surprised that these stories are so popular now.  Another part of me feels, "Of course this stuff is the sh!t."  One thing for a Spider-man movie to go over big.  X-Men.  But Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Panther, these have never been flagship characters in the Marvel Universe.  Movies with them at the core kicking arse?  I'd be lying if I said I thought that would ever be possible.

I'm pretty sure this is not the film that needs defense. Right or wrong, it has as much critical acclaim as any movie in the last few years.  It has made more money than any recent movie aside to Force Awakens and (eventually) all three Avengers movies.

Willikn, on 14 May 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

I prefer to think I'm the opposite of this.
I don't think you're sentiments are coming into play here regarding the analogy, considering you're the hardest of the hardcore fans who watches these types of movies, whereas there's a crowd who doesn't really watch this stuff that may not have as a discerning eye but can be border on being belligerent towards there fellow man for the least bit of criticism of this movie.

ATLien, on 14 May 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't think you're sentiments are coming into play here regarding the analogy, considering you're the hardest of the hardcore fans who watches these types of movies, whereas there's a crowd who doesn't really watch this stuff that may not have as a discerning eye but can be border on being belligerent towards there fellow man for the least bit of criticism of this movie.

I must travel in more narrow circles.

In the end grown ups in super hero costumes.. there is ample reason to cast shade on that.  Don't like that?  (Johnny Ghost Rider) No problem.  Don't like Mike Jordan?  There was a time I didn't like Bob De Niro.  No problem.  

I only pop up to debate when we kick out the notion that both sides had strong arguments.  That isn't a flaw IMO.  That's what makes it compelling.

Willikn, on 14 May 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

You're boy Bomani even spoke on this very thing in his podcast.

View PostWillikn, on 14 May 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

I prefer to think I'm the opposite of this.  I revel in the stories I loved as a kid becoming blockbuster hits.  A part of me continues to be surprised that these stories are so popular now.  Another part of me feels, "Of course this stuff is the sh!t."  One thing for a Spider-man movie to go over big.  X-Men.  But Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Panther, these have never been flagship characters in the Marvel Universe.  Movies with them at the core kicking arse?  I'd be lying if I said I thought that would ever be possible.

I'm pretty sure this is not the film that needs defense. Right or wrong, it has as much critical acclaim as any movie in the last few years.  It has made more money than any recent movie aside to Force Awakens and (eventually) all three Avengers movies.
No, not you.  I was referring to the people that ATLien said would want to fight anyone who criticized the film at all. Many of those people are probably casuals who otherwise don't necessarily watch MCU films.  Aren't there some parallels between those fans and Pactards?  I think we all at DHB know how hardcore those boxing fans ended up being.  I mean.....where are they now?  Even Simba is gone.  Only 9sec remains

View PostWillikn, on 14 May 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

In the end grown ups in super hero costumes.. there is ample reason to cast shade on that.  Don't like that?  (Johnny Ghost Rider) No problem.  Don't like Mike Jordan?  There was time I didn't like Bob De Niro.  No problem.  

I only pop up to debate when we kick out the notion that both sides had strong arguments.  That isn't a flaw IMO.  That's what makes it compelling.
There was a time i didn't think Eva Mendes was all that.  Now....i wonder why i thought that.  There's a few other big name actors i like that others love, and definitely a lot more that i like and many others tend to dislike.
Thing is...i don't really despite Mike B. Jordan as an actor.  I just didn't love him in his 2 Marvel flicks.  The early roles i had previously remembered  him most for were in The Wire and Parenthood.  I thought he was fantastic in both of those.  I don't know what to say about him in these Marvel flicks.  I just ain't feelin' it.  He wasn't horrible.  He just wasn't great either, IMO.

Sugar_Dean_Cuntly's Photo Sugar_Dean_Cuntly 14 May 2018

bazooka, on 14 May 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

There was a time i didn't think Eva Mendes was all that.  Now....i wonder why i thought that.  There's a few other big name actors i like that others love, and definitely a lot more that i like and many others tend to dislike.
Thing is...i don't really despite Mike B. Jordan as an actor.  I just didn't love him in his 2 Marvel flicks.  The early roles i had previously remembered  him most for were in The Wire and Parenthood.  I thought he was fantastic in both of those.  I don't know what to say about him in these Marvel flicks.  I just ain't feelin' it.  He wasn't horrible.  He just wasn't great either, IMO.

He was good in FNL too.

bazooka, on 14 May 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

Have you seen Creed or Chronicle?  He wasn't the star in Chronicle but it was an entwrainog enough flick to watch when it's on.

View PostATLien, on 14 May 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

Have you seen Creed or Chronicle?  He wasn't the star in Chronicle but it was an entwrainog enough flick to watch when it's on.
No to both.  I have Creed on the DVR but have not watched yet.