←  The Lounge

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Former #1 Nhl Pick Now Homeless

ATLien's Photo ATLien 11 Oct 2018

Doodle?
Quote

bazooka's Photo bazooka 11 Oct 2018

I expected this to be Eric Lindros.
Quote

ATLien's Photo ATLien 11 Oct 2018

 bazooka, on 11 October 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

I expected this to be Eric Lindros.
That was the first name that came to mind for me.
Quote

bazooka's Photo bazooka 11 Oct 2018

 ATLien, on 11 October 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

That was the first name that came to mind for me.
Yeah. I am glad it wasn't former Badger Dany Heatley! I'm guessing you might be familiar with that name? Although he may not have been taken as the overall top choice in the draft...
Quote

ATLien's Photo ATLien 11 Oct 2018

 bazooka, on 11 October 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

Yeah. I am glad it wasn't former Badger Dany Heatley! I'm guessing you might be familiar with that name? Although he may not have been taken as the overall top choice in the draft...
Yeah, he never really lived up to expectations when he was here.  His career was probably lost in the car crash here.  Not sure what became of him after he left the ATL.
Quote

bazooka's Photo bazooka 11 Oct 2018

 ATLien, on 11 October 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

Yeah, he never really lived up to expectations when he was here.  His career was probably lost in the car crash here.  Not sure what became of him after he left the ATL.
Ottawa, Minnesota and several other stops along the way. The car crash more than likely did take lot out of him. He was still a good player. Probably not as disappointing as Eric Lindros was. Although I think his disappointment can mostly be blamed on concussions.
Quote

ATLien's Photo ATLien 11 Oct 2018

 bazooka, on 11 October 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

Ottawa, Minnesota and several other stops along the way. The car crash more than likely did take lot out of him. He was still a good player. Probably not as disappointing as Eric Lindros was. Although I think his disappointment can mostly be blamed on concussions.
Yeah, Lindros was literally knocked out of the game.
Quote

jimbag's Photo jimbag 11 Oct 2018

 bazooka, on 11 October 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:


Yeah. I am glad it wasn't former Badger Dany Heatley! I'm guessing you might be familiar with that name? Although he may not have been taken as the overall top choice in the draft...
Manslaughter Danny Heatley. Never liked that wad of crap.
Quote

jimbag's Photo jimbag 11 Oct 2018

 bazooka, on 11 October 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:


Ottawa, Minnesota and several other stops along the way. The car crash more than likely did take lot out of him. He was still a good player. Probably not as disappointing as Eric Lindros was. Although I think his disappointment can mostly be blamed on concussions.
How was Lindros a disappointment? Before the concussion issues he was the best power forward since Tocchet. Even after, he was always s #1 center.

Yeah, Philly gave up too much to get him, he didn't make many fans in Quebec refusing to play there, he was traded twice to different teams on the same day by the Nordiques, but that was not his fault.

There's about twenty first overall picks that couldn't lace his skates for him, and that's in the past 35 years. Which only leaves a dozen even in the conversation, with less than half of those going on to careers better or equal to his.
Quote

bazooka's Photo bazooka 11 Oct 2018

 jimbag, on 11 October 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

How was Lindros a disappointment? Before the concussion issues he was the best power forward since Tocchet. Even after, he was always s #1 center.

Yeah, Philly gave up too much to get him, he didn't make many fans in Quebec refusing to play there, he was traded twice to different teams on the same day by the Nordiques, but that was not his fault.

There's about twenty first overall picks that couldn't lace his skates for him, and that's in the past 35 years. Which only leaves a dozen even in the conversation, with less than half of those going on to careers better or equal to his.
In America, Lindros was touted as if he was going to be greater than Jon Mark's hero Jesus, aka Humperdoo.
Quote

jimbag's Photo jimbag 11 Oct 2018

 bazooka, on 11 October 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:


In America, Lindros was touted as if he was going to be greater than Jon Mark's hero Jesus, aka Humperdoo.
Every first pick overall gets some of that hype. Maybe not to the extent Lindros did, but some. But just to check one contemporary "peer", look at Yashin's career.

Lindros wasn't Gretzky (only one of those, so far), and he wasn't Lemieux, but he had a physical dimension to his game that they didn't.

I'd rather have Gary Roberts out there than guys who might post twenty more points in a season, because he makes everybody on the team better. Lindros was able to do that, as well.

And I'm not touting him because he spent a few weeks with the Leafs. That was the absolute end of his career, he wasn't particularly effective then. But having watched him, if we had him in '92, hoo-boy.
Quote