←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Joe C. Vs Ward Mythical Match Up Who Wins?

Menty's Photo Menty 07 Apr 2018

Even at the lighter weights Toney had some close scrapes/dodgy decisions - Dave Tiberi, McCallum, Williams etc
Quote

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 07 Apr 2018

View PostMenty, on 07 April 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

Even at the lighter weights Toney had some close scrapes/dodgy decisions - Dave Tiberi, McCallum, Williams etc
He lacked motivation big time. Had he had Haglers mentality....man, what could have been.  The skills were off the charts.  I remember back in the early 2000's, well into his 30's, Toney was running guys from middleweight to heavyweight out of the WildCard  Gym on the regular.  Doug Fischer used to write about it all the time.  Some great stuff.
Quote

rayajr's Photo rayajr 07 Apr 2018

View Post9secondko, on 07 April 2018 - 01:02 AM, said:



He claimed it was for a torn tricep. And that was the second time. The first time he claimed it was from an accident.

He was a great fighter at the lighter weights prior to Jones Jr.

But as he climbed up, he was juicing.
I would think that Ward beating and stopping Kovs is more than anything Toney did at LW, SMW or MW. (Especially considering how highly you regard Kovs) Add in Ward's wins in the super 6 and I have a hard time seeing how Toney was more special than Ward.
Quote

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 07 Apr 2018

View Postrayajr, on 07 April 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:


I would think that Ward beating and stopping Kovs is more than anything Toney did at LW, SMW or MW. (Especially considering how highly you regard Kovs) Add in Ward's wins in the super 6 and I have a hard time seeing how Toney was more special than Ward.
More skilled than Ward. Just nowhere near as disciplined. Toney was a brilliant fighter when he chose to be.
Quote

El Juan's Photo El Juan 07 Apr 2018

View Postrayajr, on 07 April 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:


I would think that Ward beating and stopping Kovs is more than anything Toney did at LW, SMW or MW. (Especially considering how highly you regard Kovs) Add in Ward's wins in the super 6 and I have a hard time seeing how Toney was more special than Ward.

Not to mention the Ward that stopped Kovalev was a shell of himself.
Quote

El Juan's Photo El Juan 07 Apr 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 07 April 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

More skilled than Ward. Just nowhere near as disciplined. Toney was a brilliant fighter when he chose to be.

I kind of agree with this. He had some pretty good defense that he used to counterpunch pretty effectively. I think Ward’s skills were more fundamental and less flashy so we take them for granted.
Quote

Menty's Photo Menty 07 Apr 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 07 April 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

He lacked motivation big time. Had he had Haglers mentality....man, what could have been.  The skills were off the charts.  I remember back in the early 2000's, well into his 30's, Toney was running guys from middleweight to heavyweight out of the WildCard  Gym on the regular.  Doug Fischer used to write about it all the time.  Some great stuff.

Yeah I get that - especially against the likes of williams and tiberi. There’s good reason why eubank and benn never stepped into the ring against toney.
Quote

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 07 Apr 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 07 April 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

More skilled than Ward. Just nowhere near as disciplined. Toney was a brilliant fighter when he chose to be.
He was like Broner his punch out put was low. Good power and timing. Remember when he fought that Russian for the cruiserweight title? He was out worked in my opinion gift decision. That same Russian nearly killed Baby Joe
Quote

El Juan's Photo El Juan 08 Apr 2018

James Toney is currently the Word Boxing Foundation Heavyweight champion of the world.
Quote

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 08 Apr 2018

View PostEl Juan, on 08 April 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

James Toney is currently the Word Boxing Foundation Heavyweight champion of the world.
Toney is also Brain dead as well
Quote

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 08 Apr 2018

View PostEl Juan, on 07 April 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

I kind of agree with this. He had some pretty good defense that he used to counterpunch pretty effectively. I think Ward's skills were more fundamental and less flashy so we take them for granted.
Yeah, I'm not knocking Ward in my assessment of Toney.  Ward is a hell of a fighter.
Quote

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 08 Apr 2018

View PostHomo Erection, on 08 April 2018 - 01:02 AM, said:

Toney is also Brain dead as well
The irony.
Quote

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 08 Apr 2018

View PostEl Juan, on 07 April 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

Not to mention the Ward that stopped Kovalev was a shell of himself.
How so?
Quote

ATLien's Photo ATLien 09 Apr 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 08 April 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

The irony.
:lol:
Quote

rayajr's Photo rayajr 09 Apr 2018

View PostATLien, on 09 April 2018 - 05:26 AM, said:

:lol:
lol
Quote