←  The Lounge

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

The Americans - Final Season

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 13 Apr 2018

So far so good for the final season. Can’t help but think something bad happens to Paige. What’s with Philip and the tuition issue? Figured they’d have access to cash with their double life. Oleg and Stan meeting again was cool.

True Fist's Photo True Fist 14 Apr 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 13 April 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

So far so good for the final season. Can’t help but think something bad happens to Paige. What’s with Philip and the tuition issue? Figured they’d have access to cash with their double life. Oleg and Stan meeting again was cool.

I'm guessing the travel biz isn't making as much money anymore. I think the era of time shares is about to show up too, which probably hurt a lot of these businesses as well.

True Fist's Photo True Fist 01 May 2018

I just got caught up on last week's episode. Man, is Elizabeth piling up the kill count!

Page kicked some ass, that was actually pretty cool. I think her mom is overreacting though. It shouldn't be that unusual to set a girl do that. They 80's were all about that karate too, so I'm sure it wasn't too surprising to see. :lol:

I'm glad Philip limited pumped the brakes on that mission. After hearing Stan's story, it struck a nerve with him.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 02 May 2018

I finally got caught up on last season.  For whatever reason, i never finished the last couple episodes.  Watched them the other night.

I was fully expecting Oleg to end up busting his father for corruption.  Not sure where they're going with this storyline or if it gets dropped in the final season.  I can't decide if the people above Oleg in power are going to push back by investigating him to the point where he gets scared and defects.  Or....will it actually lead to him catching his father in something?  Defecting seems possible.  I get the impression that Oleg enjoys America quite a bit.  He misses it.

Nice to see Martha find a purpose now.  She has clearly fallen in love with that little orphan girl upon first sight.

Elisabeth killing that Russian woman who killed her own in WW2, and killing her husband as well....i take it she did that because she knows the killing is taking a toll on Phillip.   Not sure i'm enjoying this story line that much.  Kinda annoys me like the writing on The Walking Dead where we still have people who won't kill when they have to.  Funny thing is, Elisabeth is more hard core and for her country, yet at the same time i think she loves America as much or more than Phillip.  I got the impression that her looking at her closet full of shoes and clothing is something she didn't want to part with.  Perhaps that scene was about the job, or perhaps it was about the good life they are living there otherwise???

Disappointed that we still don't know what's going on with Stan's new girlfriend.  Is she monitoring him?  Perhaps pushing him to press Oleg?  I don't know how much longer Stan can resist trying to flip him.

Pretty cool to see Phillip's son get to meet his uncle, aunt and cousins.  I wonder if there's more to this story line for next season?

No Gabriel next season?  Too bad.  And good fucking riddance to Pastor Tim.  Fuck that faggit.  Couldn't stand him and his bitch wife.  What's with the Russian girl and the Soviet hockey player she is marrying?  Is that anything significant?  He must be a spy.  He's sure shaking the FBI down for more cash.

Overall i thought the Season 5 finale was underwhelming.  No huge developments other than the decision to stay in America.  So i guess that means Henry gets to go to boarding school now?
Will binge and catch up with season 6 soon...

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 11 May 2018

Ol’ Stan is getting mighty suspicious.

True Fist's Photo True Fist 11 May 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 11 May 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Ol’ Stan is getting mighty suspicious.

To many common factors are happening at once, and his cackles are all raised up!

At least he wasn't able to find anything incriminating. But he's really going to be looking hard at them now.

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 11 May 2018

View PostTrue Fist, on 11 May 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

To many common factors are happening at once, and his cackles are all raised up!

At least he wasn't able to find anything incriminating. But he's really going to be looking hard at them now.
Only a couple episodes left. He’s gonna kill Philip.

True Fist's Photo True Fist 11 May 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 11 May 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

Only a couple episodes left. He’s gonna kill Philip.

Probably huh. Especially with that personal moment they had before he left for Chicago. It would be cool to see them defect, but there's not much drama in that.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 30 May 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 02 April 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

First episode was solid. Looking forward to seeing how they wrap it all up.
Finally started watching this season.  First episode was more than solid IMO.  It was very tense!  Skipped ahead a few years to 1987.  Elizabeth is getting very dark.  The job is taking its toll.  She's just willing to do whatever for her country.  She doesn't know what to do without the job.  Makes me think that if she survives all this, she might be completely lost in a few years when the Soviet Union ceases to exist.

Oleg giving up his family life and good job to get back into working Intelligence.  His meeting with Phillip was a great scene.
Phillip seems happy as ever with being a normal American father and businessman.  But now with the news that Oleg brought him, he is back in again.  And Oleg lays it all on the line to him....that Oleg himself could be imprisoned or shot to death.  He has no protection.  With Elizabeth walking around with a capsule of cyanide on her necklace, and Oleg in his predicament....the Russians are playing a more dangerous and more high stakes game than ever before.  Now....their own country is facing a serious divide.  Reagan's star wars program is fucking those commie bastards up!  :wav:

BTW...i can't believe the show ended tonight.  I thought i had a little more time to catch up before the finale.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 31 May 2018

Trying to avoid spoilers last night and today. I did read something about a bittersweet ending which of course has to mean that at least one person died.
I am only 3 and 1/2 episodes into the season and based on Elizabeth almost getting shot in the first episode or two and then telling her daughter that she is not afraid to die, I get the impression that this is how she is going to go out.

Also could see Oleg getting shot by his own if the feds here arrest him.

Paige being groomed to become a double agent some day?

I can't decide yet if this family ends up staying in America or leaving for Russia...
I have to believe at some point that Stan finds out, which means they can never live here without government intrusion in their lives.

Also wondering if the lady who is dying will end up drawing a sketch of Elizabeth that eventually gives her away? I'm sure that has already been answered on the show but that was one thought I had as soon as I saw she was an artist.

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 31 May 2018

That ending was.....kind of lame. Not a whole lot happened. Overall, this was a good show from start to finish. If you haven’t watched it, I’d recommend it.

True Fist's Photo True Fist 01 Jun 2018

I thought the ending was good. Philip and Elizabeth were hurt mentally and emotionally than anything else. It's tough, they lived an American way of life for so long....

It was a great series overall. We didn't get enough closure in the series finale IMO. I would like to see a feature film or something in the future, where we pick up on everyone about 5 years in the future.

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 01 Jun 2018

what happened to Paige? Is she safe or was she arrested?

True Fist's Photo True Fist 01 Jun 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 01 June 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

what happened to Paige? Is she safe or was she arrested?

I assume she's safe. Stan is the only one that knows she initially left with her parents. Outside of that, he doesn't know she was actually spying. Maybe she get to live on like Henry, and get adopted by Stan in some way?

It was kind of funny that she was like, hell no I'm not going to Russia after all. :lol: Heartbreaking for her parents, but I'm sure they understand. Their kids are true Americans... Well, I'm not sure what they would do as to getting them (Henry and Paige) real identification now...