←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Are Uk Boxing Fans Getting Less Knowledgea...

stevieb_8006's Photo stevieb_8006 06 May 2018

It seemed back in the day, everyone had some basic understanding of the game, but the newer fans (the matchroom era) just have a bizarre narrative. They insist bellew is a "shit" fighter despite him continuously proving them wrong,  yet consider a fighter like Dillian Whyte to be a legit killer. Its very strange.

They seem very easily drawn in by the look, athleticism and patter of fighters, instead of what they actually do in the ring. Ohara Davis being the perfect example, many considered him to be a future world beater.  Anthony Yarde is another they laud before hes achieved anything.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 06 May 2018

i admit to being on board with yarde. :D

he does look surefire world class tbh.

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 07 May 2018

Boxing has become one of the few sports aimed at people who don't know anything about it.

Every PPV is hyped for ages, during football matches and the like. Hearn prefers people to know little about the sport, so they can't analyse whether the fight is good, whether the £18 is worth spending or not. It doesn't matter if a fight is decent, as long as people believe Sky when they tell them it is.

It's the Hearn business model. Sacrifice the sporting element. Ramp up the 'entertainment value'.

stevieb_8006's Photo stevieb_8006 07 May 2018

hitman_hatton1, on 06 May 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

i admit to being on board with yarde. :D/>

he does look surefire world class tbh.
he hasn't been hit yet

BoxingFan, on 07 May 2018 - 12:04 AM, said:

Boxing has become one of the few sports aimed at people who don't know anything about it.

Every PPV is hyped for ages, during football matches and the like. Hearn prefers people to know little about the sport, so they can't analyse whether the fight is good, whether the £18 is worth spending or not. It doesn't matter if a fight is decent, as long as people believe Sky when they tell them it is.

It's the Hearn business model. Sacrifice the sporting element. Ramp up the 'entertainment value'.
thats it exactly. I said on a forum on Tuesday that haye had two rounds in him max and then he'll fade and some 'fan' replied Sunday morning 'haha you must feel stupid, he went five...' they don't comprehend how the game works. It's like constantly conversing with hitman lol

Sugar_Dean_Cuntly's Photo Sugar_Dean_Cuntly 07 May 2018

Is it boxing 'fans' or is it casuals you're referring to? Hearn hype machine eaters are basically hatton fan fans redux

Sugar_Dean_Cuntly, on 07 May 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Is it boxing 'fans' or is it casuals you're referring to? Hearn hype machine eaters are basically hatton fan fans redux
Im not sure. I've heard people say over the last few days how Bellew is a risky fight for joshua. these are from guys in boxing groups on facebook.

Also the hyping of guys like jamie cox.....

I think as a nation we have grown dumb about the sport. even tho every fucker i seem to meet calls himself a boxing coach, they don't seem to know basic shit.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 07 May 2018

stevieb_8006, on 07 May 2018 - 02:23 AM, said:

he hasn't been hit yet

i don't blame em for turning down beterbiev though.

like every fighter u earn it first.

Sugar_Dean_Cuntly's Photo Sugar_Dean_Cuntly 07 May 2018

stevieb_8006, on 07 May 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

Im not sure. I've heard people say over the last few days how Bellew is a risky fight for joshua. these are from guys in boxing groups on facebook.

Also the hyping of guys like jamie cox.....

I think as a nation we have grown dumb about the sport. even tho every fucker i seem to meet calls himself a boxing coach, they don't seem to know basic shit.

You can join a boxing group and still be an ignorant fucknut.

Plus the internet makes everybody think they're an expert.

I think genuine boxing fans dwindled when it went to sky in the nineties and it never really recovered. Mostly casuals who think they're fans now.

Menty's Photo Menty 07 May 2018

stevieb_8006, on 06 May 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

It seemed back in the day, everyone had some basic understanding of the game, but the newer fans (the matchroom era) just have a bizarre narrative. They insist bellew is a "shit" fighter despite him continuously proving them wrong,  yet consider a fighter like Dillian Whyte to be a legit killer. Its very strange.

They seem very easily drawn in by the look, athleticism and patter of fighters, instead of what they actually do in the ring. Ohara Davis being the perfect example, many considered him to be a future world beater.  Anthony Yarde is another they laud before hes achieved anything.

Agree. There’s someone on this very forum who proudly boasts a 100% record in calling fights wrong - mainly because he believes all the bullshit that Eddie apples and pears Hearn spouts.

dazzler's Photo dazzler 12 May 2018

I remember there was a poster on here who kept calling us mug punters and was on a one man mission to educate us about the truth of boxing.  I seem to remember he left when we refused to share the love for Tyson Fury that he had :lol:

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 12 May 2018

dazzler, on 12 May 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

I remember there was a poster on here who kept calling us mug punters and was on a one man mission to educate us about the truth of boxing.  I seem to remember he left when we refused to share the love for Tyson Fury that he had :lol:/>

No, it was Amir Khan he hated.

stevieb_8006's Photo stevieb_8006 12 May 2018

I've just read from a knowledgeable uk fan saying sexton and fury are earning a million each tonight. Fuck me, it's true, we've turned into idiots.

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 12 May 2018

Shit. Forgot to tape it.

Menty's Photo Menty 12 May 2018

Shades of Ali :sleep: