←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Mayweather Vs Mcgregor 2?

Willikn's Photo Willikn 12 Apr 2018

View Postchewbie, on 12 April 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

It will be interesting how this business evolves.

I can tell you one change that has occurred and it is obvious.

There can be no question that the biggest boon to any sport's growth in the 21st century is how conducive it's product is for gambling/fantasy sports.  The NFL has embraced this for decades albeit with more of a, "Who me?" front.  The NBA is more transparent.  A huge issue with players deciding to take the night off with no warning is that it F'd up the daily fantasy leagues and game odds.  Not allowed to pull that crap anymore.  Not without getting fined.  You can sit for rest but you have to declare it early.

The UFC has taken it a step further.  Since the purchase happened they've begun to push the Draft Kings stuff with free promos in the lead up to each card.  The studio hosts pick their preferred Draft Kings lineup.  They post odds and talk about line movement before, during and after each fight.  Even the fighters are encouraged to talk about the betting odds. "You should bet on me because I'm gonna cash!"

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 12 Apr 2018

I had no idea UFC had Draft Kings. Do you pick a whole line up or individual fights?

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 12 April 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

I had no idea UFC had Draft Kings. Do you pick a whole line up or individual fights?

Line up of six fighters on each card.

It is tons of fun mane.

It is the only sport where I don't get my arse kicked.

View PostWillikn, on 12 April 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

Line up of six fighters on each card.

It is tons of fun mane.

It is the only sport where I don't get my arse kicked.
Sounds like fun. I'll have to check out the card Saturday. It's on Fox?

ReggieJay's Photo ReggieJay 12 Apr 2018

View PostWillikn, on 12 April 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

The UFC has a dozen or so PPVs every year.  In the US, boxing PPVs are a thing of the past.  Alvarez is pretty much the only fighter that can sell a PPV here.  

They do not break a million buys as often as they used to.  The overall product is a lot more saturated now though.  There is a live televised card nearly every week. The real expansion has been in other countries.

I’m sure you know this, but this is largely true of boxing as well, and has been for quite a while (though, the affected countries between the sports do not overlap much). Moreover, boxing has consistently strong cable ratings over the target demographics for combat sports. As far as PPVs are concerned, boxing’s PPV peak coincided with MMA’s. Both have declined dramatically since the heyday. I applaud the UFC for still being able to sell PPVs largely on their brand and a unified promotional vision that boxing’s fragmented, shortsighted leadership has always lacked.

That said, anyone (read: mainstream sportswriters) who thinks boxing is dying has had that narrative pounded into their head and hasn’t actually paid attention. I recently read a boxing article from a generally reputable sports site who retread the same lazy “boxing is dying” narrative. This is untrue (and has been untrue since at least the 1960s), but the narrative persists. What struck me about this particular article, though, was that its author was young. Like, early 20s young. That means that, in all likelihood, the false narrative of boxing’s health has been bludgeoned into his skull by his sportswriting elders. It’s sad, it’s lazy, and it continues. And I really don’t know why.

chewbie's Photo chewbie 12 Apr 2018

View PostWillikn, on 12 April 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

I can tell you one change that has occurred and it is obvious.

There can be no question that the biggest boon to any sport's growth in the 21st century is how conducive it's product is for gambling/fantasy sports.  The NFL has embraced this for decades albeit with more of a, "Who me?" front.  The NBA is more transparent.  A huge issue with players deciding to take the night off with no warning is that it F'd up the daily fantasy leagues and game odds.  Not allowed to pull that crap anymore.  Not without getting fined.  You can sit for rest but you have to declare it early.

The UFC has taken it a step further.  Since the purchase happened they've begun to push the Draft Kings stuff with free promos in the lead up to each card.  The studio hosts pick their preferred Draft Kings lineup.  They post odds and talk about line movement before, during and after each fight.  Even the fighters are encouraged to talk about the betting odds. "You should bet on me because I'm gonna cash!"
Smart move

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 12 April 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Sounds like fun. I'll have to check out the card Saturday. It's on Fox?

Yes.  The final eight fights are televised on Fox.  The first six fights are on UFC Fight Pass only.

Pay close attention to how points are scored.  

Plus Gaethje is in the Main Event against a guy that will stand and trade with him.

View PostWillikn, on 12 April 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

Yes.  The final eight fights are televised on Fox.  The first six fights are on UFC Fight Pass only.

Pay close attention to how points are scored.  

Plus Gaethje is in the Main Event against a guy that will stand and trade with him.
I saw that guy once, and I'd watch him again anytime.

Thanks for the heads up!

View PostReggieJay, on 12 April 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

I'm sure you know this, but this is largely true of boxing as well, and has been for quite a while (though, the affected countries between the sports do not overlap much). Moreover, boxing has consistently strong cable ratings over the target demographics for combat sports. As far as PPVs are concerned, boxing's PPV peak coincided with MMA's. Both have declined dramatically since the heyday. I applaud the UFC for still being able to sell PPVs largely on their brand and a unified promotional vision that boxing's fragmented, shortsighted leadership has always lacked.

Not quite apples and oranges but not a pair of apples either.  We are comparing one sports league with an entire sport broken up in to hundreds of pieces all over the globe.  

Also, I'm not in the "boxing is dying" camp.   It (IMO) is an entity that has been raped and pillaged by a scant few to the detriment of many and the sport as a whole.  However, it remains a well that doesn't run dry.  It could just be so much more.

My initial salvo surrounded the UFC specifically being on the decline.  It is not.  The number of fighters on the roster continues to grow.  They can just put their logo on a PPV and pull $250k buys.  The price of a PPV has doubled in the last ten years.  What was once an exclusively American product sells out arenas in Sweden, Britain, UEA, China, Japan, Australia and soon Moskow.

View PostReggieJay, on 12 April 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

That said, anyone (read: mainstream sportswriters) who thinks boxing is dying has had that narrative pounded into their head and hasn't actually paid attention. I recently read a boxing article from a generally reputable sports site who retread the same lazy "boxing is dying" narrative. This is untrue (and has been untrue since at least the 1960s), but the narrative persists. What struck me about this particular article, though, was that its author was young. Like, early 20s young. That means that, in all likelihood, the false narrative of boxing's health has been bludgeoned into his skull by his sportswriting elders. It's sad, it's lazy, and it continues. And I really don't know why.

Nearly all modern sports writing is sad and lazy.  Factual educated thought has no place in today's world.  Modern stars of the industry make up nonsense and scream about it.  What passes for a boxing mind in 2018 is Steve Smith.  Hard to find a poster here that knows less about boxing.

El Juan's Photo El Juan 12 Apr 2018

View PostWillikn, on 12 April 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

StarS plural.  Jones was all set for a huge PPV to end 2017.  Oops.  Nurmagomedov and Ferguson booked three times only to lose the main event all three times just days before the PPV.  Oops.  Their biggest heavyweight star (not counting Lesnar) hasn't been able to get healthy for years.  

However, the model has proven over a quarter century that the lulls are brief.  The talent pool has done nothing but grow.  Elite wrestlers no longer dream of Olympic gold.  They head to the nearest MMA gym.  The worlds best kick boxers are transitioning now.  New stars are always coming.  

Free card on Fox Network this weekend.  I recommend at least adding both sides of the card to the DVR.  Watch for Salikhov, Adesanya, and Gaethje.   Newer additions to the roster.  The kind of fighters that didn't have MMA careers ten years ago.

Everyone I know used to order the ppv cards. Now nobody does. They may be more internationally known, but it’s peaked for sure in the United States.

People stealing illegal streams has certainly had a negative impact to PPV.

El Juan's Photo El Juan 12 Apr 2018

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 12 April 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

People stealing illegal streams has certainly had a negative impact to PPV.

Stop doing that.

ReggieJay's Photo ReggieJay 15 Apr 2018

View PostWillikn, on 12 April 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Nearly all modern sports writing is sad and lazy.  Factual educated thought has no place in today's world.  Modern stars of the industry make up nonsense and scream about it.  What passes for a boxing mind in 2018 is Steve Smith.  Hard to find a poster here that knows less about boxing.

I'm not a fan of Screamin' A. but, at the very least, he no longer espouses the "boxing is dying" mantra. I had thought that that mantra had faded away, that the younger generation of sportswriters--with greater access to fights and fighters and history than ever before--would give boxing a fresher look. But I was naive; it's hard to kill a mantra that's survived for 60 years.

Maybe next generation.