←  The Lounge

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

The Mlb Thread

Willikn's Photo Willikn 30 Jul 2018

View Postbazooka, on 28 July 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

I've been thinking about this Alan Trammell thing. If he is in then you probably have to put Lou Whitaker in as well.

Baseball's "Hall of Really Good" has swung the door wide open for tons of guys.  If Trammell is in, then all of the guys not good enough, but better than him, need to be in.  Man that is a long list.

Edgar Martinez, Don Mattingly, Tony Perez, Dwight Evans, Steve Garvey.. with zero research, off the top of my head.  McGriff.  Galarraga.  The bar has been lowered and I'd bet 100 new guys belong.

El Juan's Photo El Juan 30 Jul 2018

The Crime Dog is definitely good enough.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 30 Jul 2018

View PostWillikn, on 30 July 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

Baseball's "Hall of Really Good" has swung the door wide open for tons of guys.  If Trammell is in, then all of the guys not good enough, but better than him, need to be in.  Man that is a long list.

Edgar Martinez, Don Mattingly, Tony Perez, Dwight Evans, Steve Garvey.. with zero research, off the top of my head.  McGriff.  Galarraga.  The bar has been lowered and I'd bet 100 new guys belong.
To me, Jim Thome is a HR hitter and that's about it.  Mark McGwire also. I know they both hit a shit ton of HR....but is that enough?  I guess it was for Killebrew.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 30 Jul 2018

Bryce Harper is officially on the trading block.
Not sure i get this.  Just rebuild around him.  Not sure why in baseball these teams feel the need to blow the hole thing up and start over when a team has an off year.  Baseball is funny that way where you can  have  a squad win 90 games for 3 straight years, then bring everyone back and lose 90 games.  It happens.
FFS they've had 6 straight winning seasons...

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 31 Jul 2018

bazooka, on 30 July 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

Bryce Harper is officially on the trading block.
Not sure i get this.  Just rebuild around him.  Not sure why in baseball these teams feel the need to blow the hole thing up and start over when a team has an off year.  Baseball is funny that way where you can  have  a squad win 90 games for 3 straight years, then bring everyone back and lose 90 games.  It happens.
FFS they've had 6 straight winning seasons...
Id say there is a 0% chance hes moved.

Willikn's Photo Willikn 31 Jul 2018

bazooka, on 30 July 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

To me, Jim Thome is a HR hitter and that's about it.  Mark McGwire also. I know they both hit a shit ton of HR....but is that enough?  I guess it was for Killebrew.

Reggie Jackson.  Mike Schmidt.  Willie McCovey.

Lots of guys, "Just hit a ton of home runs" and made it to the Hall with no questions from anyone.  Willie Stargell on the cusp of this designation too.

What matters now though is how much it bothers you that Thome juiced through his eyeballs like the rest of those Indians.  All of them.  Thome's juicing is okay it seems.  Bagwell.  Piazza.  Barry Bonds, now that guy is a CHEATER!

Chance's Photo Chance 31 Jul 2018

I tried keeping up with these trade deadline moves, but I don't know any of these players and can't be fucked to find out who they are

bazooka's Photo bazooka 31 Jul 2018

Willikn, on 31 July 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Reggie Jackson.  Mike Schmidt.  Willie McCovey.

Lots of guys, "Just hit a ton of home runs" and made it to the Hall with no questions from anyone.  Willie Stargell on the cusp of this designation too.

What matters now though is how much it bothers you that Thome juiced through his eyeballs like the rest of those Indians.  All of them.  Thome's juicing is okay it seems.  Bagwell.  Piazza.  Barry Bonds, now that guy is a CHEATER!
Nah, Mike Schmidt played at the hot corner. 10 gold gloves.
He wasn't a first baseman or a designated hitter like most of these guys who can only hit HR and not do much of anything else.

Willikn's Photo Willikn 01 Aug 2018

bazooka, on 31 July 2018 - 08:33 PM, said:

Nah, Mike Schmidt played at the hot corner. 10 gold gloves.

He wasn't a first baseman or a designated hitter like most of these guys who can only hit HR and not do much of anything else.

Still leaves Reggie, McCovey and Killebrew.

The defensive aspect on Schmidt is good.  I'd contend that his "Gold Glove Status" is more a product of his offense, but yeah, he was still good.  I REALLY like his two MVPs.  Long term greatness is good.  I am a big fan of mixing in some dominant seasons too.  A huge issue I have with mild compilers like Morris and Trammell.  For my money Bob Welch was better than Morris.

I submit that, "Just hitting home runs" is fine if you hit enough of them.  Especially if you had an MVP season or two on the back of that one asset.  McGwire led MLB in homers five times.  He hit .263 with a lot of walks too.  His 583 is plenty good enough, but he also missed most to two seasons in his prime (29/30) and retired early.  His per game production eclipses the Thome/Killebrew types.

Have to take a back seat to the guys who did more of course.  He is no Aaron, Mays or Ruth.  Then again, we should probably kick Ruth, Aaron and Mays out of the Hall.  They were just too good.  CHEATERS!

rayajr's Photo rayajr 01 Aug 2018

Chance, on 31 July 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

I tried keeping up with these trade deadline moves, but I don't know any of these players and can't be fucked to find out who they are
Your dad traded your mom to me for a joint. Top shelf. I got screwed on the trade bro.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 09 Aug 2018

I fucking hate Knebel.

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 10 Aug 2018

Dodgers closer, Kenley Jansen, out for a month with a heart condition.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 10 Aug 2018

View PostWhenWeWereKings, on 10 August 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

Dodgers closer, Kenley Jansen, out for a month with a heart condition.
I'd take him over Knebel.

El Juan's Photo El Juan 12 Aug 2018

How is Trout and Chris Davis doing?

ATLien's Photo ATLien 16 Aug 2018

Braves on the warpath! :angry2:  

WAR A's!!