←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

These Two Are Funny...

ATLien's Photo ATLien 14 Jun 2018

Geezus Toney sounds like he's got a mouth full of marbles, but that doesn't slow down his shyt talking. :lol:   Tarver, could've beaten Toney.  Just depends on what kind of shape Toney shows up in.  It would still be a difficult fight with the best version of Toney.  The reach and height would've given Toney some difficulty.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 14 Jun 2018

They should fight now.

mos-def's Photo mos-def 14 Jun 2018

Tarver prolly needs the loot more than Toney. I like Toney circa Tarver stopping RJJr. But today he prolly outworks Toney in a very dismal affair. But they both were giving the other fits with their slick one-liners. Funny stuff.

El Juan's Photo El Juan 14 Jun 2018

I’m all for the over 50 league.

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 15 Jun 2018

View Postmos-def, on 14 June 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Mane, Toney sounds rough. Toney vs Tarver at 175 would’ve been pretty good.

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 15 Jun 2018

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 14 June 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

They should fight now.
Toney is wasted drunk

RickS's Photo RickS 20 Jun 2018

Octagon material.

chewbie's Photo chewbie 21 Jun 2018

I love it. Was never a big Tarver fan but I respected him. Tough fight for JT at 175. Maybe in part because it seems like James went from MW to Cruiser overnight.

mos-def's Photo mos-def 21 Jun 2018

Always been a Toney fan, way before he became the best fighter in the world. I think Calen and Pops kept him in check as best they could but I think it was a constant struggle. Watching them interact sometimes, particularly when Toney was being surly as hell, I got the impression she was a little afraid of him because Toney was certainly very hood, street. I'm sure he gave Pops much hell in training, probably training whenever HE wanted to and probably not at the potential they all knew he could train until he eventually became just too unruly to deal with.

After that duo left speaks to what Chewb touched on about Toney's seemingly rapid rise thru the weightclasses. Despite having talent to spare, his achilles was always training, or more specifically, discipline. That's when you would see Toney looking physically worse and worse and steadily moving up in weight.

The last time Toney looked good, I mean physically, despite having outgrown the fighter who ran super middleweights several years earlier, was the night he faced Jirov. Jirov was also a fantastic undefeated fighter at the time. And they put on a helluva fight that night with Toney winning handily. Then it happened: Toney pisses hot. Despite all the controversy and the many injuries that followed, looking back I think it was the last time any of saw a bigger version of what Toney once was when he was really good.