←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Bellew Continues Cleverly Spat

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 09 Jul 2011

Bellew continues Cleverly spat

* by David Williams, South Wales Echo
    * Jul 9 2011

THE bitter war of words between new world champion Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew shows no sign of abating, the Scouser this week claiming his rival lacks the punching power to beat him.

Bellew’s latest jibe comes a week before his rematch with Ovill McKenzie at Liverpool’s Echo Arena and less than two months after he and Cleverly had a major spat at a London press conference.

The two nearly came to blows as it was announced Bellew, 28, would be challenging Cleverly for the WBO light-heavyweight title he’d acquired when Juergen Braehmer was stripped of the belt.

However, hours later it was confirmed Bellew wasn’t going to make the weight in time, denying him a shot at the unbeaten 24-year-old.

But should Bellew overcome McKenzie, as he did in their original meeting in December, it is widely expected the Everton fan and Cleverly will meet in the ring within 12 months.

Cleverly will be at ringside next Saturday and has been sparring with McKenzie to aid him for his showdown with the undefeated Bellew.

Despite helping McKenzie, Cleverly says he wants a win for Bellew to keep alive the hopes of a big British clash further down the line. The comments from Bellew this week will only serve to rile the Welshman even more, the former denouncing his punching power and insisting the WBO champion is “tailor-made” for him.

“I’m thrilled he’s champion because I want to fight him for the world title,” said Bellew.

“Cleverly fights with his face and is tailor-made for me. I can produce a KO at any point of the fight, not just early. I have great stamina and am a natural athlete.

“I know he is an athlete too, he has superb hand speed and is lightning quick, but I can beat him. Both of us can be hit, but I hit harder than he does.”

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 09 Jul 2011

Be funny if Mckenzie bangs him out,  that will bring him back down to earth.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 09 Jul 2011

hopefully clev-bellew does get rescheduled.

warren needs it for another ppv date anyhow. :rolleyes: