←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Lucian Bute Retains Ibf Boxing Title

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 09 Jul 2011

Montreal's Bute retains IBF boxing title

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 5:06 PM ET
Last Updated: Jul 9, 2011 5:06 PM ET

Lucian Bute only waited to the fourth round before knocking down his opponent on Saturday night.Lucian Bute only waited to the fourth round before knocking down his opponent on Saturday night. (Associated Press file)

Lucian Bute of Montreal knocked out Jean-Paul Mendy in the fourth round Saturday to retain his IBF super-middleweight title at Bucharest, Romania.

Bute (29-0) dominated from the start and finished it at 2:48 of the fourth with a right-left combination that saw Mendy (29-1-1) drop face first onto the canvas to be counted out by referee Marlon Wright.

It was Bute's eighth defence of the title he won in 2007. Mendy was the IBF's mandatory challenger.

Miagi's Photo Miagi 09 Jul 2011

I imagine that after Kessler beats Stieglitz who is rated much higher than Mendy, Bute will drop from #3 to #4 on Ring's Super Middleweight top 10. Incredible how Bute has single handedly masterminded his descent from Super Middleweight supremacy without losing.

turbotime's Photo turbotime 09 Jul 2011

Bute Boomaye!:wav:

Blaxima's Photo Blaxima 09 Jul 2011

It's nice to see Bute give his Romanian fans a show. He really does need to step up in competition though.

Depending on how Kessler looks after his long lay off I would still favour him to beat Bute. If that fight does materialize that is.

Undisputed's Photo Undisputed 09 Jul 2011

I'm tired of Bute fighting stiffs.

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 09 Jul 2011

Undisputed, on Jul 9 2011, 10:49 PM, said:

I'm tired of Bute fighting stiffs.

View Post

Is Bob Arum his promoter?!  -_-

napoleon336's Photo napoleon336 09 Jul 2011

Now that the super 6 is coming to an end Bute really has no excuse left to not fight a top tier fighter.

napoleon336, on Jul 9 2011, 11:19 PM, said:

Now that the super 6 is coming to an end Bute really has no excuse left to not fight a top tier fighter.

View Post

I'll like to see him face Andre Durriell or Glen Johnson..

rayajr's Photo rayajr 09 Jul 2011

Martinez should step up and face Bute.

rayajr, on Jul 10 2011, 12:15 AM, said:

View Post

That'll be a good match with Sergio having a excellent chance of winning.

neumann's Photo neumann 09 Jul 2011

The_Ikon, on Jul 9 2011, 11:31 PM, said:

View Post

I don't think Bute vs Dirrell would be that interesting a fight. Andre Ward on the other hand...

And while I would favour Bute over Johnson, I would expect Glencoffe to supply a whole lot of trouble to any elite opponent even if he is 400 years old.

neumann's Photo neumann 09 Jul 2011

rayajr, on Jul 10 2011, 12:15 AM, said:

View Post

I think Martinez has a decent chance against many of the the 168 pounders. I think he dispatches Dirrell with relative ease.  Froch or Ward might be a little too much.

The wild card in the Division really is Kessler. How much is left?

napoleon336's Photo napoleon336 09 Jul 2011

The_Ikon, on Jul 9 2011, 11:31 PM, said:

View Post

Bute/Johnson would be insane in Canada.  Johnson fears no opponent or city as well.

neumann, on Jul 10 2011, 12:49 AM, said:

I don't think Bute vs Dirrell would be that interesting a fight. Andre Ward on the other hand...

And while I would favour Bute over Johnson, I would expect Glencoffe to supply a whole lot of trouble to any elite opponent even if he is 400 years old.

View Post

I disagree, Andre D. is a very talented fighter.  He beat Arthur A ass beautifully and I would love to see him back @ the top vs bute.  Andre beats Bute then he and Ward fight for undisputed champ.

Menty's Photo Menty 10 Jul 2011

Ward, Froch, Kessler and Dirrell all beat Bute.