←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Floyd Mayweather Vs. Victor Ortiz Should B...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 11 Sep 2011

Mayweather vs. Ortiz should be compelling
Column by John Whisler
Express-News
Published 12:53 a.m., Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's not the fight we want to see, but there are two good reasons to buy the pay-per-view when Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Victor Ortiz tangle Saturday night in Las Vegas:

Mayweather and Ortiz. Both of them make for pretty compelling TV.

Mayweather hogs the headlines, of course, with his mad skills and angry persona. He's a divisive figure who inspires admiration for his abilities but provokes others into wanting to see him get knocked out.

That sentiment comes across loud and clear on the wonderful HBO Sports documentary series "24/7."

When it comes to training, he's perhaps one of the most disciplined and well-conditioned athletes in the sport. You can only marvel at his work ethic in the gym.

That contrasts sharply with his life outside the ring, where discipline issues seem to abound given the half-dozen legal actions he's involved in.

Then there's the on-going craziness involving his family, especially with his father, Floyd Sr.
Watching the two go at it in Episode 1 of 24/7, they put the "dys" in dysfunctional. Maybe some of it is an act, as Junior in particular always seems to be playing to the cameras.

But their long-simmering feud obviously is not over by a long shot. They may be strange, but you can't help but watch just to see what they're going to do — or say — next.

Ortiz, on the other hand, is a whole different story.

He and his siblings were abandoned by their mother while growing up in Kansas. Ortiz was 7 at the time. His alcoholic father, who got him into boxing, often beat his kids and took off when Ortiz was 12.

They went into foster care until older sister Carmen became a legal adult and adopted Victor and younger brother Temo in 2002. During that time, Victor was dealing drugs.

Ortiz has never run from his past and appears comfortable in laying it out for all to see. He was recently named a national spokesman for Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America.

On top of it all, there's the fight itself — 12 rounds for Ortiz's WBC welterweight title.

Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) hasn't fought in 16 months, and everyone wants to see how the layoff will affect him.

A 6-1 underdog, Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) is coming off the biggest win of his career, a thrilling unanimous decision against Andre Berto in April.

At 34, Mayweather is 10 years older than Ortiz. Age has to catch up to him eventually. But don't look for that to happen this time.
Mayweather shows no signs of slowing down. Many are saying he took this fight as a tune-up for Manny Pacquiao as both Pacquiao and Ortiz are southpaws.

Although a dangerous fight, Mayweather wins easily by decision.

RickS's Photo RickS 11 Sep 2011

Glax0r, on 11 September 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

Although a dangerous fight, Mayweather wins easily by decision.

Mayweather's counter-punching will be the difference.

dillyyo's Photo dillyyo 11 Sep 2011

This fight is going to be a tougher fight than most are giving credit for.

BillyTheKid's Photo BillyTheKid 11 Sep 2011

I see this fight being closer than people think also. Watched the mayweather vs Mosley fight again, and I saw a very flat footed Floyd in there. Mosley was a sitting duck after round 2, and Floyd could not put his foot on the throttle to stop him. I also think Ortiz is going to have the physical advantage and be able to bully much more than Mosley could.

60425's Photo 60425 11 Sep 2011

RickS, on 11 September 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

yup.ortiz attack will began to slow from being countered with punches he doesn't see coming.

HAGLERKIXAZZ's Photo HAGLERKIXAZZ 11 Sep 2011

May is 10 years older, not as physically big and strong as this kid, and in with a southpaw, with a set of steel n@ds, and May hasn't fought in a long time http://forums.doghou...tyle_emoticons/default/wub.png , i wouldn't be surprised if this ortiz kid put him on his ass, bigger upsets have happened...

napoleon336's Photo napoleon336 11 Sep 2011

RickS, on 11 September 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

Agreed.  He'll have some tough moments with Victor's preasure and strength but his boxing skills will take over mid fight I believe.  He'll pin point some effective shots and slow Victor down.

I'm really looking forward to this fight.

napoleon336's Photo napoleon336 11 Sep 2011

BillyTheKid, on 11 September 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

I see this fight being closer than people think also. Watched the mayweather vs Mosley fight again, and I saw a very flat footed Floyd in there. Mosley was a sitting duck after round 2, and Floyd could not put his foot on the throttle to stop him. I also think Ortiz is going to have the physical advantage and be able to bully much more than Mosley could.
Not sure if Floyd has old legs or if he really didn't need to move much against Shane.  Mosley was hardly fighting back from round 3 on.

BillyTheKid's Photo BillyTheKid 12 Sep 2011

napoleon336, on 11 September 2011 - 11:42 PM, said:

Not sure if Floyd has old legs or if he really didn't need to move much against Shane.  Mosley was hardly fighting back from round 3 on.
Either way, he should have been able to step on the gas and stop Mosley who was helpless in there after the second round.  I personally saw him just flat footed, not to say his legs are gone.  He was able to stand his ground against Mosley and was probably just as physically strong as Mosley in that fight.  If he stands flat like that against a younger stronger fighter, as great as his defense may be, he will take shots.  I really have no clue if Ortiz has the skill to beat him, but I can tell you watching Ortiz being rough and high punch volume, it could be pretty interesting.  He likes to bully in there and that could be an advantage.  Not to mention Mayweather always likes to pull his head straight back or dip to his right to avoid punches...which is right in line for a left hand.

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 13 Sep 2011

HAGLERKIXAZZ, on 11 September 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

May is 10 years older, not as physically big and strong as this kid, and in with a southpaw, with a set of steel n@ds, and May hasn't fought in a long time http://forums.doghou...tyle_emoticons/default/wub.png , i wouldn't be surprised if this ortiz kid put him on his ass, bigger upsets have happened...
I'm not sure about that.  I can't help but remember the Maidana fight and think that Ortiz can quit  at any minute.

HeSoNice's Photo HeSoNice 13 Sep 2011

Except that Maidana hits much harder than Floyd.

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 13 Sep 2011

HeSoNice, on 13 September 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

Except that Maidana hits much harder than Floyd.
And he's 10 times slower than Floyd and very limited skillwise.