←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Andre Berto's Prediction On Manny Pacq...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 11 Sep 2011

IBF champ says Pacquiao too strong for Marquez
abs-cbnNEWS.com

MANILA, Philippines – International Boxing Federation (IBF) welterweight champion Andre Berto believes Filipino boxing icon Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao will be too strong for Mexican warrior Juan Manuel Marquez when the 2 fighters meet on November 12.
"I think the size difference might be a bit too much for him (Marquez)," Berto told On The Ropes Boxing Radio.

Berto explained Pacquiao has become comfortable at the 147-pound limit, which will play a factor when he faces Marquez for the 3rd time.

"Manny Pacquiao is pretty settled and strong at 147. In his first few fights, he was trying to get settled, but now he's looking full. He’s looking strong as an ox," Berto said.

Pacquiao and Marquez have fought twice before, with both fights happening at lower weight limits.

Both fights were also controversial: Pacquiao settled for a draw in their 2004 meeting, and won a close split decision in their 2008 rematch.

Their November 12 bout will be at a 144-pound catchweight.

For Berto, the trilogy match will be in favor of Pacquiao.

"At 147, he's looking fast, and Marquez is coming up just to try and fight him, so I think it might be a different situation, unless Marquez tries to outbox him and tries to do things a little different," Berto said.

"I don't think he can get into a shootout with Pacquiao at all. Like I said, he's looking too strong and too filled out at 147 right now," he added.

During the pre-fight press conferences, Pacquiao had repeatedly said that the trilogy bout will answer all the questions left by his 2 earlier battles against Marquez.

Top Rank Promotions head honcho Bob Arum has maintained that Marquez presents a 'puzzle' that Pacquiao has yet to solve.
Berto won the IBF welterweight belt against Jan Zaveck via a 5th round stoppage last September 4. It was his first big fight after losing his first match against Victor Ortiz last April.

He has now called out Ortiz in a rematch, but the latter is set to fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. on September 17.