←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

More To Meets The Eye With David Price And...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 12 Apr 2012

More to meets the eye with David Price and Tyson Fury

Paul Smith, Liverpool Echo
Apr 12 2012

HELLO and welcome to my new column, which I hope you will find interesting and insightful as I give you a look into British boxing.

I will try and give fight fans a preview of our big domestic and international fights as well as bringing you news from inside the camps, plus all the gym talk and the goings-on in the British game.

This Saturday sees Manchester’s enigmatic Tyson Fury take on Belfast cabby Martin Rogan.

Fury was at my gym in Bolton last week and was looking in fantastic shape.

He was telling us that it was the lightest he had been as a professional and he’d been through hell and back to get as fit as he is.

The fight will be for the vacant Irish heavyweight title.

Fury recently vacated the British and Commonwealth titles when ordered to fight our own ‘Big-un’ David Price by the British Boxing Board of Control. People have called Fury a coward for not facing Price and instead relinquishing the title but there is more to it than meets the eye.

Politics, television networks and pound notes are the only reason we will not get to see Price versus Fury, for this year at least.

David knows that Fury will fight anybody, but the price has to be right, the TV networks need to agree and the promoters need to make it worthwhile for both boxers in such a big fight.

We are prizefighters. The prize has to be worth the risk. The prize for Rogan, should he beat Fury, will be a way back to title contention and a big money rematch.

The prize for Fury will be a step closer to a future world title fight that he craves.

I do feel he will have to get through ‘The Big-un’ Davey Price first though and that’s an obstacle that I feel will not be budged.

My prediction for Fury v Rogan: Fury wins by stoppage between rounds 7-10.

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 13 Apr 2012

From the BBC Website;

Manchester heavyweight Tyson Fury insists a win over Martin Rogan tomorrow will prove he is ready for the Klitschko brothers. Former British heavyweight champ Fury faces local hero and Rogan at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast after being floored in his last fight. The 6ft 9in giant got up to stop Neven Pajkic in the third round in November having also been wobbled by Nicolai Firtha in September. Fury, 23, gave up the British heavyweight title rather than fight Liverpool prospect David Price.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 13 Apr 2012

we all know the reasons fury vs price fell thru.

the 2 promoters should have got round a table and work it out.

instead of that they wanted purse bids and to promote it thereselves.

british boxings long term problem in a nutshell. :P

crakaveli's Photo crakaveli 13 Apr 2012

I don't get how someone who held the British title can fight for the Irish title?

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 13 Apr 2012

crakaveli, on 13 April 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

I don't get how someone who held the British title can fight for the Irish title?

By the fact that he's a pikey, and isn't actually from anywhere.

Is he duel nationality or something? Might be why.