←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Boxing Photo Of The Year?

Locked

Poll: Photo of the Year? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Photo of the Year?

  1. Yes (6 votes [30.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 30.00%

  2. No (2 votes [10.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 10.00%

  3. Too early to call. (6 votes [30.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 30.00%

  4. Photo of the decade! (1 votes [5.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.00%

  5. Kimbo Slice (3 votes [15.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 15.00%

  6. That one guy gots punched in his face. (2 votes [10.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote

Kris Motherf**kin' Tims's Photo Kris Motherf**kin' Tims 30 Apr 2012

http://l.yimg.com/bt...G-PUNCH-630.jpg

Posted Image

If you've ever wondered what it was like to get punched in the head — really hard — fortunately, you don't have to climb into the ring and find out yourself. Photographer Tim Shaffer gives you a pretty good idea of what it is like with his photo of Lavarn Harvell's knockout of Tony Pietrantonio in Atlantic City, N.J., on Saturday.
Fighting on the undercard of the HBO-televised Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson light heavyweight title fight, Harvell knocked out Pietrantonio in a bout that got scant attention.
It was scary at the time, though, because when Pietrantonio went down, he slammed his head violently against the mat. He landed right in front of press row and his head hitting the mat was easily audible to reporters in the first several rows.

Immediately, officials signaled for a stretcher to be brought in, but Pietrantonio was fine and left the ring under his own power a few minutes later.
Shaffer's incredible photo caught the moment of impact perfectly. If you wanted to know what it feels like, look at Shaffer's picture. Pietrantonio's entire face is distorted as Harvell's punch lands squarely in the middle of his face.
What's scary is, the left hand that is cocked in the photo followed seconds later and Pietrantonio went down and out.
T
he good news is that Pietrantonio is fine.

And if there is a competition for boxing Photo of the Year, now we know the leader in the clubhouse. Boxing has been blessed to have had some legendary photographers, such as Neil Leifer, recording its history over the years. And guys like Chris Farina, Tom Casino, Ed Mulholland and Will Hart are giants in the field today.
But it's hard to imagine any of them shot a picture that is more dramatic than Shaffer's. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the photo of Muhammad Ali standing over a downed Sonny Liston in Lewiston, Maine, urging him to get up.

Shaffer's photo, while not as historically significant given the stature of the fighters involved, is not to be forgotten. You can not only see the moment of impact in his picture, but you can almost feel it, too. Ouch!
Quote

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 30 Apr 2012

This is a really good poll until you pull a lounge act with some of the choices.  Seriously, this is a great post / poll minus the Kimbo and silly stuff attached to it.  Hard to take it serious now.
Quote

malvern rida's Photo malvern rida 30 Apr 2012

i think of taylorpavlik when i see this pic... rubbery face always takes its toll on the rida...
Quote

turbotime's Photo turbotime 30 Apr 2012

Kimbooooooooo!
Quote

Kris Motherf**kin' Tims's Photo Kris Motherf**kin' Tims 30 Apr 2012

 Glax0r, on 30 April 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

This is a really good poll until you pull a lounge act with some of the choices.  Seriously, this is a great post / poll minus the Kimbo and silly stuff attached to it.  Hard to take it serious now.
ill admit that maybe the pie and dragons was a bit much, so thats fixed, but folks should always have the choice as to whether its kimbo or not.
Quote

rayajr's Photo rayajr 30 Apr 2012

I want pie.
Quote

Chance's Photo Chance 01 May 2012

Kimbo Sliiiicceeeeeee!
Quote

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 01 May 2012

 krisntims, on 30 April 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

ill admit that maybe the pie and dragons was a bit much, so thats fixed, but folks should always have the choice as to whether its kimbo or not.

I understand humor.  Still, just remember many people in Boxing Chat take it very seriously.  Look at your thread, while I was posting this... there was...


80 user(s) are reading this topic

12 members, 66 guests, 2 anonymous users
Quote

Chance's Photo Chance 01 May 2012

 Glax0r, on 01 May 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I understand humor.  Still, just remember many people in Boxing Chat take it very seriously.  Look at your thread, while I was posting this... there was...


80 user(s) are reading this topic

12 members, 66 guests, 2 anonymous users
They're all Kimbo fans!
Quote

RickS's Photo RickS 02 May 2012

The shot is OK...not great
Quote

DoktorSleepless's Photo DoktorSleepless 02 May 2012

I think it's this one because of the great juxtaposition between Macklin's  bloody beat up face and Julie Lederman's stone cold bored expression. It's like she doesn't even give a fuck anymore after all her years of judging. "Pffft... I've seen worst."

Posted Image
Quote

rayajr's Photo rayajr 02 May 2012

 DoktorSleepless, on 02 May 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

I think it's this one because of the great juxtaposition between Macklin's  bloody beat up face and Julie Lederman's stone cold bored expression. It's like she doesn't even give a fuck anymore after all her years of judging. "Pffft... I've seen worst."

Posted Image
Julie looks kind of doable from this angle. I bet I can score some 10-8 rounds on her ass.
Quote
Locked