←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Miguel Cotto: Rebuilt Or Repackaged?

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 01 May 2012

Miguel Cotto: Rebuilt or Repackaged? Fan's View

By Paul Magno | Yahoo!

It's the fight that the boxing media and boxing fans have wished for since about 2007. Yet now, just a few days away from Cotto-Mayweather at the MGM Grand on May 5, some are burying the bout as a mismatch.

The same reporters who screamed "Redemption" after Cotto beat Antonio Margarito last December in the highly-charged rematch of Cotto's 2008 bloody beating are now saying that the Puerto Rican fighter is damaged goods.

So, which is it? Is Miguel Cotto a shot fighter limping into the MGM Grand on Saturday for one more payday? Or is Miguel Cotto a fighter who turned a struggling career around and has regained momentum coming into, arguably, the biggest fight of his career?

Here's a look at both views of Miguel Cotto as he prepares to face Floyd Mayweather:

Miguel Cotto is Rebuilt

After suffering his bloody 2008 beating at the possibly plaster-loaded hands of Margarito, Cotto could've been described as a broken man. Then, following his in-ring dismemberment at the hands of Manny Pacquiao 16-months later, the lid seemed to be closed on a once-elite fighter.

Cotto would move up in weight and win the WBA junior middleweight title against Yuri Foreman. Then, he'd defend it, via stoppage, against Ricardo Mayorga and arch-nemesis, Antonio Margarito.

Now, Two-and-a-half years since the Pacquiao loss, Cotto has put enough time between the present and his past struggles to legitimately claim a clean mental slate. Add to that the brief influence of legendary trainer, Emanuel Steward and a family life that has settled down greatly.

Now, a more mature Miguel Cotto, with new trainer Pedro Diaz, is in a much better place as a boxer. No longer a fighter basically training himself amid wave after wave of familial strife, the Miguel Cotto of 2012 is a physically and psychologically healed fighter and, despite the doubters, just as dangerous as he ever was.

Miguel Cotto is Repackaged

Antonio Margarito, whether he wore plaster-coated knuckle pads for their 2008 bout or not, put an end to Miguel Cotto's run as a legitimate elite, world class fighter.

Since that beating, Cotto has been hesitant and gun shy as evidenced by his near-loss to Joshua Clottey and TKO loss to Manny Pacquiao-- two bouts where Cotto resorted to flat-out retreat when pressed.

Victories over a light-punching, Yuri Foreman, who had hurt his right knee in the seventh round of the contest, and a TKO of all bluster, no blister Ricardo Mayorga were marginal wins, at best. Even his supposed "redemption" bout against Margarito was hardly the spectacular feat some had claimed. Margarito, sporting a surgically-repaired eye, was still able to push Cotto backwards and fight a very similar fight to the 2008 bout, only to lose via physician stoppage due to concerns over that damaged eye. On paper, it was a sweet victory. In reality, though, it was merely a paper win.

So, despite the hype surrounding his upcoming bout, Miguel Cotto is really just the same fighter who was physically and mentally damaged by Margarito back in 2008. The packaging may be different, but the man is the same. The same self-doubt and mental paralysis will come back just as soon as he finds himself in a tight spot again.

RickS's Photo RickS 01 May 2012

Brave words from Mr. Magno. I'm sure he knows Miguel personally.

True Fist's Photo True Fist 01 May 2012

It would have came off better if he swapped the Rebuilt and Repackaged statements. Since it ends with the Repackaged statement, it leaves the reader with a negative conclusion.

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 01 May 2012

North Star, on 01 May 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

It would have came off better if he swapped the Rebuilt and Repackaged statements. Since it ends with the Repackaged statement, it leaves the reader with a negative conclusion.
Its the more realistic view.

moneymaywhat?'s Photo moneymaywhat? 01 May 2012

I agree, good point of view though

turbotime's Photo turbotime 01 May 2012

Glax0r, on 01 May 2012 - 04:25 AM, said:

Miguel Cotto: Rebuilt or Repackaged? Fan's View

By Paul Magno | Yahoo!

It's the fight that the boxing media and boxing fans have wished for since about 2007. Yet now, just a few days away from Cotto-Mayweather at the MGM Grand on May 5, some are burying the bout as a mismatch.

The same reporters who screamed "Redemption" after Cotto beat Antonio Margarito last December in the highly-charged rematch of Cotto's 2008 bloody beating are now saying that the Puerto Rican fighter is damaged goods.

So, which is it? Is Miguel Cotto a shot fighter limping into the MGM Grand on Saturday for one more payday? Or is Miguel Cotto a fighter who turned a struggling career around and has regained momentum coming into, arguably, the biggest fight of his career?

Here's a look at both views of Miguel Cotto as he prepares to face Floyd Mayweather:

Miguel Cotto is Rebuilt

After suffering his bloody 2008 beating at the possibly plaster-loaded hands of Margarito, Cotto could've been described as a broken man. Then, following his in-ring dismemberment at the hands of Manny Pacquiao 16-months later, the lid seemed to be closed on a once-elite fighter.

Cotto would move up in weight and win the WBA junior middleweight title against Yuri Foreman. Then, he'd defend it, via stoppage, against Ricardo Mayorga and arch-nemesis, Antonio Margarito.

Now, Two-and-a-half years since the Pacquiao loss, Cotto has put enough time between the present and his past struggles to legitimately claim a clean mental slate. Add to that the brief influence of legendary trainer, Emanuel Steward and a family life that has settled down greatly.

Now, a more mature Miguel Cotto, with new trainer Pedro Diaz, is in a much better place as a boxer. No longer a fighter basically training himself amid wave after wave of familial strife, the Miguel Cotto of 2012 is a physically and psychologically healed fighter and, despite the doubters, just as dangerous as he ever was.

Miguel Cotto is Repackaged

Antonio Margarito, whether he wore plaster-coated knuckle pads for their 2008 bout or not, put an end to Miguel Cotto's run as a legitimate elite, world class fighter.

Since that beating, Cotto has been hesitant and gun shy as evidenced by his near-loss to Joshua Clottey and TKO loss to Manny Pacquiao-- two bouts where Cotto resorted to flat-out retreat when pressed.

Victories over a light-punching, Yuri Foreman, who had hurt his right knee in the seventh round of the contest, and a TKO of all bluster, no blister Ricardo Mayorga were marginal wins, at best. Even his supposed "redemption" bout against Margarito was hardly the spectacular feat some had claimed. Margarito, sporting a surgically-repaired eye, was still able to push Cotto backwards and fight a very similar fight to the 2008 bout, only to lose via physician stoppage due to concerns over that damaged eye. On paper, it was a sweet victory. In reality, though, it was merely a paper win.

So, despite the hype surrounding his upcoming bout, Miguel Cotto is really just the same fighter who was physically and mentally damaged by Margarito back in 2008. The packaging may be different, but the man is the same. The same self-doubt and mental paralysis will come back just as soon as he finds himself in a tight spot again.
Holy shit we have a psychic in the house.

Vatoloco, on 01 May 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

Its the more realistic view.

The idea of the article is that both are realistic views, one positive and one negative.

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 01 May 2012

North Star, on 01 May 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

The idea of the article is that both are realistic views, one positive and one negative.
One positive, one realistic.

RickS's Photo RickS 01 May 2012

After I read it again, I realized that. He should have put a summary in with his own thoughts.
My thoughts are, he is a little of both. He rebuilt himself by developing his boxing skills (which will help him if he uses them on Saturday). As far as his damaged psyche goes, he has faced up to it. Lot's of guys would shrug it off. He faced up to it and defeated his demon. He's conquered it, at least in his own mind, where it counts the most. Cotto is a MF warrior. He will most likely lose this fight, but I can guarantee he won't cheat the fans. He will leave everything in the ring, and we can't ask for more than that.

RickS, on 01 May 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

After I read it again, I realized that. He should have put a summary in with his own thoughts.
My thoughts are, he is a little of both. He rebuilt himself by developing his boxing skills (which will help him if he uses them on Saturday). As far as his damaged psyche goes, he has faced up to it. Lot's of guys would shrug it off. He faced up to it and defeated his demon. He's conquered it, at least in his own mind, where it counts the most. Cotto is a MF warrior. He will most likely lose this fight, but I can guarantee he won't cheat the fans. He will leave everything in the ring, and we can't ask for more than that.

Yep. He says he got over his mental hurdle with his revenge. Cotto picked a hell of a fighter to prove it against this weekend! I think a decision for Floyd is in the cards, but I look forward to seeing Cotto fight the fight of his life.

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 01 May 2012

Miguel deserves the benefit of the doubt.  I'm more of the view that Cotto is not the same fighter he was pre-Margarito, but he's still a very good fighter.  After he gets picked apart this Saturday, one should say he was washed up or old.  The truth is he was going to lose this fight 10 years ago, the same way he's going to lose this Saturday.  Mayweather is just that good.

Miguel has a chance, but a lot of things have to go right for that chance to become reality:

1) Floyd's age has to become a factor, and Mayweather will find himself more stationary.
2) Cotto must use the jab consistently.  To get inside and to keep Floyd thinking.
3) Cotto must be able to take Floyd's power and be willing to walk through them.
4) Cotto must pressure Floyd and go to the body.
5) Cotto must keep a high workrate for 12 rounds.

I expect Cotto to be able to do all of this at least for the first 3-4 rounds, but then Mayweather will make an adjustment and Cotto will be picked apart.  

I just can't imagine Cotto being able to do all those things for 12 rounds consistently.

tigerthelion's Photo tigerthelion 01 May 2012

1hitrquitr, on 01 May 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Miguel deserves the benefit of the doubt.  I'm more of the view that Cotto is not the same fighter he was pre-Margarito, but he's still a very good fighter.  After he gets picked apart this Saturday, one should say he was washed up or old.  The truth is he was going to lose this fight 10 years ago, the same way he's going to lose this Saturday.  Mayweather is just that good.

Miguel has a chance, but a lot of things have to go right for that chance to become reality:

1) Floyd's age has to become a factor, and Mayweather will find himself more stationary.
2) Cotto must use the jab consistently.  To get inside and to keep Floyd thinking.
3) Cotto must be able to take Floyd's power and be willing to walk through them.
4) Cotto must pressure Floyd and go to the body.
5) Cotto must keep a high workrate for 12 rounds.

I expect Cotto to be able to do all of this at least for the first 3-4 rounds, but then Mayweather will make an adjustment and Cotto will be picked apart.  

I just can't imagine Cotto being able to do all those things for 12 rounds consistently.
That pretty much sums it up.

Negrolo's Photo Negrolo 01 May 2012

AND STILL WBA JR MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD,  FROM CAGUAS FUERTO RICOOOOOOO MIGUEL COTTOOOOOOOO... The only reason Mayweather beat De la Hoya is because Oscars stopped jabbing. Freddy said it and the whole world saw it. He was looking to knock him out and got himself beat. Miguel wont do this. He will keep jabbing and keep offsetting Floyds timing.

peter's Photo peter 01 May 2012

Cotto has a chance since he's a great counter puncher as well. One of the keys to a Cotto victory will have to be to jab floyd into the ropes until Floyd gets into his nut shell, then body punch Floyd while in the ropes and when its time for Floyd to counter, step back and wait to counter the counter puncher. But for this Cotto is gonna have to show up in the best shape of his life. Remember Cotto is a natural lefty which makes his jab a power punch. I believe Cotto gets rob on a split decision only to keep the Pac fight alive. Viva Puerto Rico!!!

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 02 May 2012

Cotto has already been rebuilt.
From a Michelangelo to a Picasso.

Now he is simply repackaged.

Damaged product with new packaging.

If Floyd doesn't look like superman in this fight, something's wrong.