←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Mayweather Out To Further Prove Himself

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 01 May 2012

Mayweather out to further prove himself

Miguel Cotto, the reigning WBA super welterweight champion, right, and boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr., of the U.S., pose for a photo during a news conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Feb. 27. Mayweather and Cotto will face off in a Cinco de Mayo matchup in Las Vegas. Mayweather, the undefeated seven-time world champion in five weight classes, will turn 35 this month. He will step up in weight to fight Cotto, 31, a three-division champion from Puerto Rico.

BY DAVID A. AVILA

CORRESPONDENT

sports@pe.com

Expect Floyd “Money” Mayweather to enter the ring flanked by an impressive entourage eager to prove that Puerto Rico’s skillful WBA junior middleweight titleholder Miguel Cotto doesn’t stand a chance.

Is Mayweather that good?

Though jail awaits the flamboyant Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) in a few weeks, the Las Vegas prizefighter with millions in cash seeks to prove that as good as Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs) may be, it won’t be enough on Saturday May 5, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. HBO pay-per-view will telecast the event called “Ring Kings.”

“If anyone has followed my career they know that there’s been a lot of obstacles and a lot of ups and downs through my career,” Mayweather said.

The semi-main event with Mexico’s popular world champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez defending his WBC junior middleweight crown against future Hall of Fame candidate Sugar Shane Mosley, of Pomona, could be equally eventful.

In both fights any misstep could prove fatal.

Mayweather has never lost a fight and seldom loses a round on a judge’s score cards, but Cotto could be the guy to upset the victory train.

Always a gentleman, Cotto had been with rival promoter Top Rank for his prior pro career but Golden Boy Promotions courted the Puerto Rican and nabbed him. It proved a perfect move when Mayweather was unable to convince Manny Pacquiao to fight.

Cotto avenged a defeat to Antonio Margarito and has looked even better as a true junior middleweight. Even Mayweather feels that Cotto’s loss to Pacquiao was due more to the catch-weight restrictions imposed on the Puerto Rican than to actual boxing superiority.

“Thanks a lot for making the fight at my weight,” said Cotto to Mayweather regarding the contract negotiations. “He’s doing it the right way. It’s my weight class. I feel comfortable right here. I’m very happy to get this fight in my weight class.”

Cotto is a pure boxer-puncher who moves in with a crouched defense and hands held high. He has decent footwork and good speed. His best punch is the left hook and he can knock out foes to the body or head with that sledgehammer left hook.

“Miguel Cotto went out there and gave it his all and performed well; I think that’s not a good thing, that’s a great thing,” said Mayweather. “I know there’s no fighter in the history of the sport that’s dedicated like I’m dedicated. There’s no fighter that’s going to work as hard as Floyd Mayweather, because again I have the will to win.”

Mayweather’s will to win began with a sizzling performance over the late Diego “Chico” Corrales, a hard-hitting string bean bomber who many felt could mow down anyone in 2001. Mayweather won easily by knockout. The next major moment was 2005 when he moved up in weight and demolished the late Arturo Gatti. It wasn’t supposed to be that easy. Next was Zab Judah, then Carlos Baldomir and finally the apogee was in 2007 fighting Oscar De La Hoya. He won by split-decision and has been the marquee name in prizefighting ever since.

“Floyd Mayweather can go anywhere on this earth and do record-breaking numbers,” said Mayweather. He can point to the record-breaking fight with De La Hoya that drew more than 2.2 million pay-per-views.

Mayweather recently turned 35 and that usually means the best days are gone. Will the super-quick reflexes remain or will time catch up on Saturday evening?

CANELO

One fighter not worried about age is Mexico’s “Canelo” Alvarez, who is a mere 21.

Alvarez (39-0-1, 29 KOs) faces Pomona’s Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KOs), who is 40 but still cannot be overlooked, especially his record against Mexican or Mexican-American prizefighters.

“I fought Mosley and everyone knows what happened,” said De La Hoya, who lost twice by split-decision in 2000 and 2003. “You can never count out Sugar Shane.”

Both Alvarez and Mosley trained a block away from each other in Big Bear Lake and smiled when asked about it.

“This is about the third or fourth time I trained so close to my next opponent,” said Mosley. “I was training in the same gym as Vernon Forrest, Antonio Diaz. And when I fought Oscar De La Hoya and Fernando Vargas, they were just around the corner too. It doesn’t matter.”

Mosley hasn’t won a fight in three years but has never lost to a fighter of Mexican descent in his pro career. Canelo knows this.

“I’ve learned a lot. How he punches and how he counter punches, his movements and everything. I’ve adapted it to my own style, but I’ve learned a lot from Shane Mosley,” said Alvarez about studying Mosley’s style over the years. “We admire him. It’s an honor for me to be fighting him, but once I step into the ring, that all goes out the window.”

De La Hoya, president Golden Boy Promotions, said the winner can expect a bigger prize.

“You can either face the winner of Andre Berto/Victor Ortíz or you can face the winner of Floyd Mayweather/Miguel Cotto. So, this is a very important fight,” De La Hoya said.

Fights on television

FRIDAY

Fox, 8 p.m., Daniel Ponce de Leon (42-4) vs. Eduardo Lazcano (24-2).

SATURDAY

ESPN2, 5 p.m., Demetrius Andrade (16-0) vs. Rudy Cisneros (12-3).

Fox, 5 p.m., Nate Diaz (15-7) vs. Jim Miller (21-3).

HBO pay-per-view, 6 p.m., Floyd Mayweather (42-0) vs. Miguel Cotto (37-2); Saul Alvarez (39-0-1) vs. Shane Mosley 46-7-1); Jessie Vargas (18-0) vs. Steve Forbes (35-10); Deandre Latimore (23-3) vs. Carlos Quintana (28-3).

antking's Photo antking 02 May 2012

I agree 100% with Mayweather that COTTO is undefeated.
Albeit twice cheated.
Thus, this is a mega-fight between 2 Sterling, Honorable, and Undefeated Champions.

I really DO give a whole LOT of credit and respect to FLOYD MAYWEATHER for stepping up to COTTO's weight division!

Everyone should keep that in mind, and recognize this clear distinction between Mayweather and Pacman; and know to respect Mayweather as both a descent a man and athlete, not the cheating combo that is PACMAN & his grantor.

Why so many people out there fail to recognize this man is confounding. So what if he is brash and proud? Why shouldn't he be? There are fighters and athletes with a fraction of his talent and accomplishments whom are more arrogant, and yet, do not have to suffer such hate from envious and jealous nobodies. If they really had a legitimate reason of hating FLOYD, they could just stop watching him. And that's exactly it, isn't it; they are nobodies whom hate themselves, and are therefore given to such envy and jealousy of others whom like themselves, are proud of themselves, and and have clear reasons to be!

NOTE:  ~ FLOYD could have demanded the same weight restrictions like "MANNY the SNAZZY" Politician and his conspirator-team.
And COTTO, the willing warrior that he is, would have accepted; we all know this.
FLOYD knew this. FLOYD's team knew this.
COTTO and his team knew this.

But FLOYD didn't.
Because unlike Pacman, Mayweather is a true warrior, a credit to the sport of boxing, not a dubious, questionable, sly scoundrel like "he-who-really-should-be-locked-up!".
Yeap, the same fella and his team who keeps winning fights against another classy, honorable, hard-working Mexican Man who beat him 3-times now, and yet, Manny-the-Snazzy has never once, shown the decency to come out and admit defeat like a true fighter and a real descent man would have. In fact, he avoids this true Champion and his conqueror like the plague.
MANNY is a politician, you know?

If there is a decline in the luster of a FLOYD vs PACMAN, it is simply because even many of the Philipinos no longer regard their own congressman a true warrior, let alone winner. All his "so-called Championships" were won with weight restrictions, bordering on the criminal and illegal. In my mind, it is illegal. And MANNY's wins a farce. Just because the sanctioning bodies and slimy lawyers promote it with HBO or whatever, does not make it legal. They are paid-off benefactors giving way to rape and sodomy to the very sport we love, while putting hard-working honest men-boxers at risk through these weight draining restrictions, and it is a true Champion Floyd Mayweather who stepped up to say he is not taking part in such atrocity against another athlete, and wants his opponent to engage him in a level playing field, along with appropriate drug testing - something the Pacman with tattoos all over his politico skin claims,... weakens him - a first from any fighter bound to make untold millions in a single night!

That FLOYD immediately declines to exercise the same 'should-be' illegal options to "weight-drain" his innocent opponent even prior to their ring entry makes him a great athlete and honorable human being.

I hope you jealous envious folks read and consider your ways, not only with regard to your bashing of FLOYD, but of your attitudes and mind-set in life. Isn't it your kind of demeaning, restricting attitude that kept you and yours from even thinking of truly achieving?

I give my heart-felt regret and my total admiration to Mr. MARQUEZ for not getting the decisions from these cheating politicians and his opponent, or the admissions from his less-honorable opponent. Many of us know, YOU CLEARLY WON all of those three fights!

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 03 May 2012

antking, on 02 May 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Albeit twice cheated.
Thus, this is a mega-fight between 2 Sterling, Honorable, and Undefeated Champions.

I really DO give a whole LOT of credit and respect to FLOYD MAYWEATHER for stepping up to COTTO's weight division!

Everyone should keep that in mind, and recognize this clear distinction between Mayweather and Pacman; and know to respect Mayweather as both a descent a man and athlete, not the cheating combo that is PACMAN & his grantor.

Why so many people out there fail to recognize this man is confounding. So what if he is brash and proud? Why shouldn't he be? There are fighters and athletes with a fraction of his talent and accomplishments whom are more arrogant, and yet, do not have to suffer such hate from envious and jealous nobodies. If they really had a legitimate reason of hating FLOYD, they could just stop watching him. And that's exactly it, isn't it; they are nobodies whom hate themselves, and are therefore given to such envy and jealousy of others whom like themselves, are proud of themselves, and and have clear reasons to be!

NOTE:  ~ FLOYD could have demanded the same weight restrictions like "MANNY the SNAZZY" Politician and his conspirator-team.
And COTTO, the willing warrior that he is, would have accepted; we all know this.

But FLOYD didn't.
Because unlike Pacman, Mayweather is a true warrior, a credit to the sport of boxing, not a dubious, questionable, sly scoundrel like "he-who-really-should-be-locked-up!".
Yeap, the same fella and his team who keeps winning fights against another classy, honorable, hard-working Mexican Man who beat him 3-times now, and yet, Manny-the-Snazzy has never once, shown the decency to come out and admit defeat like a true fighter and a real descent man would have. In fact, he avoids this true Champion and his conqueror like the plague.

If there is a decline in the luster of a FLOYD vs PACMAN, it is simply because even many of the Philipinos no longer regard their own congressman a true warrior, let alone winner. All his "so-called Championships" were won with weight restrictions, bordering on the criminal and illegal. In my mind, it is illegal. And MANNY's wins a farce. Just because the sanctioning bodies and slimy lawyers promote it with HBO or whatever, does not make it legal. They are paid-off benefactors giving way to rape and sodomy to the very sport we love, while putting hard-working honest men-boxers at risk through these weight draining restrictions, and it is a true Champion Floyd Mayweather who stepped up to say he is not taking part in such atrocity against another athlete, and wants his opponent to engage him in a level playing field, along with appropriate drug testing - something the Pacman with tattoos all over his politico skin claims,... weakens him - a first from any fighter bound to make untold millions in a single night!

That FLOYD immediately declines to exercise the same 'should-be' illegal options to "weight-drain" his innocent opponent even prior to their ring entry makes him a great athlete and honorable human being.

I hope you jealous envious folks read and consider your ways, not only with regard to your bashing of FLOYD, but of your attitudes and mind-set in life. Isn't it your kind of demeaning, restricting attitude that kept you and yours from even thinking of truly achieving?

I give my heart-felt regret and my total admiration to Mr. MARQUEZ for not getting the decisions from these cheating politicians and his opponent, or the admissions from his less-honorable opponent. Many of us know, YOU CLEARLY WON all of those three fights!

antking, on 02 May 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Albeit twice cheated.

But FLOYD didn't.

Ellerbe is that you?

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 03 May 2012

Um...
Fighting Cotto only "further proves" that Floyd has a bad patter of opponent selection.

The day Floyd actually commits to further proving himself is they he steps into the ring against a manny pacquaio - BEFORE manny burns out.

antking's Photo antking 04 May 2012

COTTO is both undefeated and dangerous. And is one of the best & most dangerous opponent for FLOYD.
People are mislead because of his loss to MANNY. But that was a weight-drained, half-empty-gas-tank-race-car he had to use, having given away his vital bodily fluids, his essence for life and power.
And even then, he started off well, winning the early rounds, remaining competitive for many rounds thereafter.

COTTO giving out in the final rounds is NOT evidence of his lack, but instead, it is testimony to the importance of each ounce of weight, and definitely, NOT MANNY's supremacy.
So stop bneing so easily fooled.

That is why I don't have to be ELLERBY (who is that???) or FLOYD's family to speak this simple, truthful reality.
This is why I admire FLOYD for voluntarily offering to fight COTTO at the proper weight.
And so should you*

If there is even a single person who still can not see this glaring truth, you are not worth reading. So, don't bother to respond.
Just read, and learn some respect.
Or go away and watch ballet.

FLOYD's variety of superb defense is the only reason I give him a good chance in this fight with a dangerous COTTO who has been fighting more regularly and longer, tougher fights than FLOYD. It's not only what happens when the fight gets tough and deep, but everything else that is COTTO, at his real fighting weight!
This is a great match-up, and I believe it will be a great fight. I really regret I won't be able to watch it.
Both FLOYD & MANNY (and MOSLEY) are each fighting live opponents who could beat them.

...I got to see a bit of CANELO on YOUTUBE. His foot work is better than I might have expected, and suits his aggressive style very well.
So, unless MOSLEY can bring his best foot forward, consistently take CANELO off his rhythm, with longer & lower (more bending) open stances to twitch & pivot off of for extended target, he will be in trouble. He'll need to constantly be moving diagonally in and out of CANELO's range, and never remain still or over-do.
He'll need to work harder than ever, and yet, remain disciplined. This was his primary weakness in his fights against VERNON FOREST, leading to his defeats. A decade later, CANELO is a easier opponent than VERNON for MOSLEY but for his advancing age.

MOSLEY has a better chance to find CANELO with his style, but he will also expand too much energy to stay atop, and may tire in spots before he can finish what he had begun. I've been out of touch from BOXING, because I've been living-travelling without TV for some years. Last fight I saw of MOSLEY was when he fought MAYWEATHER, a fight result I dreamt 3 days prior, and won the cash bet on FLOYD winning a clear unanimous decision (against a man betting FLOYD by KO) :D

My guess is, MOSLEY will need a variety of both QUICK & SUDDEN AGGRESSION as well as a subtle array of short chopping shots that stay tight like a wall that would be his body as either man charges in, at mid-range, and inside. MOSLEY will also need a lot of feints (so many in fact, that even he won't always know when he is throwing the real shots until after he has thrown them) and pivot his way (or not quite) in for attacks and counter-attacks. It will take a sugar at his very best to dominate the young, red-headed Hot Salsa.

Hey SHANE, when you leave your house for the fight this Saturday, be sure to first turn back your clock! ;-)

* I find it absurd that I am the only one acknowledging FLOYD MAYWEATHER's stance against cheating, and offering his dangerous opponent COTTO the fight at his weight when he & everyone knew clearly COTTO would have come down at least 3-4 pounds. There are so many positives to write about, but that's not what I find on this sites,... how do you all always manage to find so many negatives?
...Some talent...

**If you're among the many who have written negative opinions about a fighter on regular basis, why not just quit?
Stop watching boxing.
Stop watching at least these fighters you degrade and chastise.
Or, even better, get in the ring yourself, and show everyone how much better you are than that guy you routinely trashed !?!?!? ;-)
You could at least show the world what a "real quit job" is! ;-)

antking's Photo antking 04 May 2012

COTTO is both undefeated and dangerous. And is one of the best & most dangerous opponent for FLOYD.
People are mislead because of his loss to MANNY. But that was a weight-drained, half-empty-gas-tank-race-car he had to use, having given away his vital bodily fluids, his essence for life and power.
And even then, he started off well, winning the early rounds, remaining competitive for many rounds thereafter.

COTTO giving out in the final rounds is NOT evidence of his lack, but instead, it is testimony to the importance of each ounce of weight, and definitely, NOT MANNY's supremacy.
So stop bneing so easily fooled.

That is why I don't have to be ELLERBY (who is that???) or FLOYD's family to speak this simple, truthful reality.
This is why I admire FLOYD for voluntarily offering to fight COTTO at the proper weight.
And so should you*

If there is even a single person who still can not see this glaring truth, you are not worth reading.
Just read, and learn some respect.
Or go away and watch ballet.

FLOYD's variety of superb defense is the only reason I give him a good chance in this fight with a dangerous COTTO who has been fighting more regularly and longer, tougher fights than FLOYD. It's not only what happens when the fight gets tough and deep, but everything else that is COTTO, at his real fighting weight!
This is a great match-up, and I believe it will be a great fight. I really regret I won't be able to watch it.
Both FLOYD & MANNY (and MOSLEY) are each fighting live opponents who could beat them.

...I got to see a bit of CANELO on YOUTUBE. His foot work is better than I might have expected, and suits his aggressive style very well.
So, unless MOSLEY can bring his best foot forward, consistently take CANELO off his rhythm, with longer & lower (more bending) open stances to twitch & pivot off of for extended target, he will be in trouble. He'll need to constantly be moving diagonally in and out of CANELO's range, and never remain still or over-do.
He'll need to work harder than ever, and yet, remain disciplined. This was his primary weakness in his fights against VERNON FOREST, leading to his defeats. A decade later, CANELO is a easier opponent than VERNON for MOSLEY but for his advancing age.

MOSLEY has a better chance to find CANELO with his style, but he will also expand too much energy to stay atop, and may tire in spots before he can finish what he had begun. I've been out of touch from BOXING, because I've been living-travelling without TV for some years. Last fight I saw of MOSLEY was when he fought MAYWEATHER, a fight result I dreamt 3 days prior, and won the cash bet on FLOYD winning a clear unanimous decision (against a man betting FLOYD by KO) :D

My guess is, MOSLEY will need a variety of both QUICK & SUDDEN AGGRESSION as well as a subtle array of short chopping shots that stay tight like a wall that would be his body as either man charges in, at mid-range, and inside. MOSLEY will also need a lot of feints (so many in fact, that even he won't always know when he is throwing the real shots until after he has thrown them) and pivot his way (or not quite) in for attacks and counter-attacks. It will take a sugar at his very best to dominate the young, red-headed Hot Salsa.

Hey SHANE, when you leave your house for the fight this Saturday, be sure to first turn back your clock! ;-)

* I find it absurd that I am the only one acknowledging FLOYD MAYWEATHER's stance against cheating, and offering his dangerous opponent COTTO the fight at his weight when he & everyone knew clearly COTTO would have come down at least 3-4 pounds. There are so many positives to write about, but that's not what I find on this sites,... how do you all always manage to find so many negatives?
...Some talent...

**If you're among the many who have written negative opinions about a fighter on regular basis, why not just quit?
Stop watching boxing.
Stop watching at least these fighters you degrade and chastise.
Or, even better, get in the ring yourself, and show everyone how much better you are than that guy you routinely trashed !?!?!? ;-)
You could at least show the world what a "real quit job" is! ;-)

simba's Photo simba 04 May 2012

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes: