←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Pacquiao Not Yet In Fighting Shape, Says T...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 01 May 2012

Pacquiao not yet in fighting shape, says trainer Roach
May 1, 2012 10:39pm

gmanetwork.com

Freddie Roach watched as Manny Pacquiao trade heavy blows with Russian sparmates Ruslan Provodnikov and Rustam Nugaev Tuesday at the Shape Up gym in Baguio City and he was not impressed on his ward's performance.

Roach, the Boxing Writers Association of America five-time Trainer of the Year, admitted that they have still more than one month left to fine tune Pacquiao's fight plan opposite Timothy Bradley Jr.

The eight-division world champion will put his his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title on the line against the undefeated American challenger on June 9 (June 10 PHL time) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The 52-year-old American trainer, however, is not worried. "I don't expect him to be ready for the fight yet. Not even close. We still have a long way to go, but I'm happy we have all the time."

Pacquiao sparred six rounds on Tuesday, four against the 28-year-old Provodnikov and two opposite Nugaev, the same sparmate that helped the Fighting Congressman from Sarangani province prepare for his fights against Erik Morales and Oscar Larios in 2006.

Pacquiao was clearly in control of his four-round sparring against Provodnikov, a light-welterweight prospect that holds a 21-1 record with 14 knockouts. The Russian hammered Pacquiao's body and even gave the Filipino boxing icon several head-snapping blows.

The 29-year-old Nugaev also did the same and even dared the General Santos City native to give it his all in their two-round session. The result left Nugaev with a bloody nose.

The Perm, Russia born fighter was still impressed with Pacquiao's performance. "He's still fast, but he's got more experienced, and more power. He still has the same speed, still the best."

Roach expects Pacquiao to get his rhythm and timing when they move training camp at his Wild Card gym in Los Angeles next week. Pacquiao ends his high altitude training camp on Thursday and leaves for Los Angeles on Saturday night.

Strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza, who left Pacquioa's training camp in Baguio City to help Julio Cesar Chavez for his upcoming middleweight title bout opposite Andy Lee, is expected to join Team Pacquiao in Los Angeles.

SlyGil's Photo SlyGil 01 May 2012

Guess what? Bradley is in fighting shape, so I don't want any excuses.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 02 May 2012

Shades of Pre-Cotto training...

Still was shocking to see how weak PAC looked going into camp.

He usually looks like a skinny no hoper going into camp, but it wasn't just looking skinny.

Either way, maybe it's a good thing. He is notorious for overtraining and that hurts performance.

Maybe he will peak perfectly for this one.

View PostBoxingfan32, on 01 May 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

did anyone ever notice there was always some subtle message from roach or ariza or someone that you know what a potential excuse for if manny happened to lose?

You mean like the messages prior to Cotto and margarito?

I think that's a good thing.

Before Marquez, Ariza actually made the idiotic statement that God Himself couldn't help Marquez. And Marquez nearly upset him.

So a wary team PAC is much preferable than an overconfident one. At least if you are a pacquaio fan.

View PostBoxingfan32, on 02 May 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

I'm not... and they do have pre excuses for every fight. I don't care, like i've said before.. I think they picked the wrong guy this time unless the pressure gets to Bradley.. he's going to cause a lot of problems.

That's only a good thing.
Picking the guy who threatens to actually beat you is what keeps you at your best.  

And boxing is better off for it.

Just another reason to be a PAC fan.

Antonious's Photo Antonious 02 May 2012

My sources are reporting to me that manny is currently sending guys to the hospital. Seems at or near fighting shape to me. These articles are a joke and a half.

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 02 May 2012

did anyone ever notice there was always some subtle message from roach or ariza or someone that you know what a potential excuse for if manny happened to lose?
Its not an excuse, its a pattern.  They do this for every fight, Manny isn't doing this, or he's doing something he's not supposed to.  Its to create the illusion that Manny might lose so guys like you who probably wouldn't buy the fight will now buy the fight in hopes to see Manny lose.

rockw's Photo rockw 02 May 2012

It surprises me that it doesn'nt come into anyone's mind that Manny might be in decline. He's over 30 years old  and he's been in some battles. He barely squeaked by a nearly 40 year old Marquez, and hasn't won by knockout in years. He gets hit and bloodied in all his fights, and gets his head snapped back in sparring. I think Freddie Roach is a lil worried, Timothy Bradley is no punk! I think Manny is tired and we're gonna see an upset June 9.

Javier Saldivar's Photo Javier Saldivar 03 May 2012

Pacquiao has a much tuffer assignment than Mayweather. I applaud Manny for taking on this young undefeated lion.

psylancer's Photo psylancer 03 May 2012

View Postrockw, on 02 May 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

It surprises me that it doesn'nt come into anyone's mind that Manny might be in decline. He's over 30 years old  and he's been in some battles.

Haven't most people here accepted that he's in decline?

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 03 May 2012

View PostAntonious, on 02 May 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

My sources are reporting to me that manny is currently sending guys to the hospital. Seems at or near fighting shape to me. These articles are a joke and a half.

I repeat: shades of Pre-Cotto and Pre-margarito.

When he looks devastating, roach is always trying to find ways to make it seem like he's struggling.

You know he's going to be ready.

The worst thing anyone can hear out of a PAC camp is something like "not even God can save his opponent."

Then you know he's been flat in sparring...

Only 4 weeks left. PAC better be in fighting shape. It's all maintenance, gameplan, and rechnique now, with strength and speed training continuing.

The danger for PAC isn't "is he training enough?", it's always preventing him from leaving it all in the gym.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 03 May 2012

View PostBoxingfan32, on 02 May 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

manny didn't pick him... arum did... and arum picked him because AFTER he couldn't drain Cotto again and didn't want JMM to finally get the win he deserves ... so Bradley was picked because he couldn't punch and yet again the opponent has to come to his weight... give me a break with your BS on being a manny fan... the guy's whole magical run is a farce of the highest order.

Actually manny did. And arum had said so. Manny asked him to get the best fight available.

Manny bongs nowhere near 154 and Cotto knew he'd get killed if he fought manny again, so no 147-150 lb. catch. Which is for the best. That fight would have made tons of money  it would have meant nothing.

So Bradley is in. Any other fighter, but they chose undefeated Bradley who fights anyone and everyone and wins. The guy is a beast.

It's not only a great fight, but by far the bigger challenge and better fight than the mayweather -Cotto circus.

BoxingMoron's Photo BoxingMoron 03 May 2012

That's just nonsense, all trainers, and coaches come off sounding the same. What I look for is how they respond in sparring, and it sounds like Manny made sure it a point to Provodnikov not take him for granted.