←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Cotto Can Channel Castillo

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 04 May 2012

Cotto can channel Castillo
Kieran Mulvaney, ESPN.com

I'm not about to stand up and declare that Miguel Cotto will beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. I'm not sure I'd predict victory for anyone smaller than Wladimir Klitschko against Mayweather, on Saturday or any other night. But for Miguel Cotto fans who may be wondering whether the junior middleweight champ has any shot at all, or who are feeling aggrieved and anxious at the widespread dismissal of their man's chances, I offer two names by way of encouragement:

Jose Luis Castillo and Oscar De La Hoya.

These were, of course, the two men who came closest to defeating Mayweather. De La Hoya dropped a split decision to Mayweather almost exactly five years ago and remains the only professional to ever win on a scorecard against him. And Castillo fought so well against Mayweather that he remains the only boxer to have earned a rematch against the man then known as Pretty Boy. Indeed, there are those who still maintain the Mexican deserved the nod in their first contest.

Granted, just about every opponent since has announced his intention to follow the Castillo blueprint, and every one of them has failed. But several factors make Cotto the most likely to succeed where others have fallen short. First, like De La Hoya, he has an excellent jab; that jab gave Mayweather difficult moments until Oscar began to tire. And although Cotto doesn't have the height and reach advantages the Golden Boy enjoyed, when Cotto deploys his jab to full effect, it can be a thumping weapon, as Shane Mosley can testify.

If Cotto is able to use that jab to keep Mayweather on the back foot, Floyd will have a harder time gaining the leverage he needs for his fast counters. And if Cotto is able to trap Mayweather against the ropes, the champ has the style and ability to do what Castillo did: swarm Mayweather, stay on top of him, bully him, not give him room to breathe. Whereas many opponents make the mistake in that position of trying to hit Mayweather's head, Cotto is a natural body puncher, and his left hook can take the legs out of the best of fighters over 12 rounds.

Add to that the fact that Mayweather no longer deploys the lateral movement he did as a younger man, and the conditions are right for Cotto to pull off the upset. Will he do it? I'm still not prepared to go that far. But I'd argue that those who dismiss him entirely do so at their peril.

TonyClifton's Photo TonyClifton 04 May 2012

I am sold!  $5000 on a Cotto win in the first round

turbotime's Photo turbotime 04 May 2012

Nah, Castillo had a rock hard chin. Hell he took flush Corrales bombs for ten rounds and was still stopped on his feet.

Antonious's Photo Antonious 04 May 2012

Jose luis castillo was a monster in his prime who was ready to die in the ring. Not cotto

Cotto does not have the speed and skills of DLH.

DannyKO's Photo DannyKO 04 May 2012

View PostAntonious, on 04 May 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Jose luis castillo was a monster in his prime who was ready to die in the ring. Not cotto

Agree.. Cotto has to plan a whole new strategy based on his skills;..

Boricuahook's Photo Boricuahook 04 May 2012

View PostAntonious, on 04 May 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Jose Luis Castillo had a rock hard chin, so it's easy to take shots when you don't get hurt by them. Cotto has showed the heart of a lion a thousand times in his career, and has come back from being seriously hurt to win fights. Trying to get killed by Pac or Margarito after being totally tired and hurt is not a very good idea, specially when you still have some good years of boxing ahead of you.

Regarding DLH, I agree Oscar was faster in his prime, but I actually believe Cotto has better skills. De la Hoya did too much shoe-shining and his only power shot was the left hook. Cotto has much better sharpness and his shots are crisp and thrown better technically speaking. Cotto has a jab basically as good as Oscar, but is a much better body puncher. Cotto is a better counter puncher than De la Hoya, and his footwork is similar to Oscar in his best night.

The only things Oscar in his prime had over Cotto are his granite chin and speed. Jab and footwork are even.  Everything else, I go with Cotto

SemperDevilDog's Photo SemperDevilDog 04 May 2012

View PostBoricuahook, on 04 May 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Jose Luis Castillo had a rock hard chin, so it's easy to take shots when you don't get hurt by them. Cotto has showed the heart of a lion a thousand times in his career, and has come back from being seriously hurt to win fights. Trying to get killed by Pac or Margarito after being totally tired and hurt is not a very good idea, specially when you still have some good years of boxing ahead of you.

Regarding DLH, I agree Oscar was faster in his prime, but I actually believe Cotto has better skills. De la Hoya did too much shoe-shining and his only power shot was the left hook. Cotto has much better sharpness and his shots are crisp and thrown better technically speaking. Cotto has a jab basically as good as Oscar, but is a much better body puncher. Cotto is a better counter puncher than De la Hoya, and his footwork is similar to Oscar in his best night.

The only things Oscar in his prime had over Cotto are his granite chin and speed. Jab and footwork are even.  Everything else, I go with Cotto
odlh would ko cotto

Knackers's Photo Knackers 04 May 2012

I'm not convinced the Castillo/DLH model is the way to beat Mayweather. Cotto's best chance IMO is use the jab at range and power shots sparingly from the outside.

Despite conventional wisdom saying an infight is the way to go, this only plays into the maestro's hands. Keep the fight at range off the front foot, encourage Floyd to close the gap and don't lunge into no-mans land.

Cotto has the tools to do this. But to reinvent his game at this late stage of his career? Not so sure...

moneymaywhat?'s Photo moneymaywhat? 04 May 2012

According to the tittle "this is for the spanish people with knowledge of what im about to say"......... Un Congo es el que va a pelear mañana lol Candelo ? lol 7rayo ? lol, mejor mejor Chango lol
Cotto needs to do something special tomorrow to win

Antonious's Photo Antonious 04 May 2012

View PostBoricuahook, on 04 May 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

I have to disagree mr. BORICUAhook.