←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Fans Of Sportsmanship, Honor Should Root F...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 05 May 2012

Fans of Sportsmanship, Honor Should Root for Miguel Cotto to Beat Floyd Mayweather on May 5 (Cinco De Mayo)
Mayweather May Be One of the Most Self-centered Athletes in the History of Sports

By Adam C. Biggers | Yahoo!

It's surprising that he hasn't attempted to sell his bathwater on the Internet. Maybe he'll start charging fans to pose in photos, too.

His arrogance is entertaining to an extent, yet embarrassing, disgusting and hard to stomach.

Boxing's showman, Floyd Mayweather, Jr., will look to maintain his unblemished 42-0 record Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in a WBC super welterweight bout against Miguel Cotto. While I don't follow boxing like I used to -- grew up watching Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and Butterbean as a child with my grandfather -- I'll be pulling for Cotto.

Boxers, by nature, are a little egocentric. I guess they have to be in order to preserve their invincible aura. However, Mayweather, Jr. strikes me as a beyond-arrogant, completely full-of-himself specimen. Passing by the mirror must be a tough task for him; he probably can't resist relishing in his own greatness.

Now, I'll probably be called a Mayweather-hater for this. I'll probably be plastered by Mayweather fans for calling him as I see him. Well, it could be worse. I could be the guy facing him in the ring Saturday. I believe Mayweather will win, but I have no problem siding with the underdog. Anyone but Mayweather, that's my philosophy.

From allegedly doing, well, just about anything an unscrupulous person could do, Mayweather's character alone is enough for me to have no respect for him. I'm a Michigan guy -- Mayweather is from Grand Rapids -- and respect my state's boxing heritage. As a child, my grandfather introduced me to Joe Byrd, Flint's legendary boxing trainer whose son, Chris Byrd, fought in the Olympics and once held a heavyweight title. I was in awe of how Chris Byrd seemed nothing like other arrogant fighters. He was soft spoken, polite and a man of faith. He was a boxer worth rooting for, not against.

He looked so tough in the ring. After meeting him after a training session about 16 years ago, I felt like Chris Byrd could also be a guidance counselor at my school. He was that reassuring and genuine. I'll never forget meeting him.

Mayweather could stand to be humbled. He is one of the sport's greatest -- we all know that, and he's had no problem constantly reminding us, either. I get it. He knows he's great. To be a champion, and sustain that title for so long, an athlete has to think that way.

"I rule the ring, and this is my kingdom," Mayweather says in a commercial promoting Saturday's fight.

Greats are great because the public gives them that honor. Granted, Mayweather's record is impressive, and his accomplishments should be talked about. His out-of-the-ring antics are tabloid gold. His quotes are comical, in a way, and prove my point. He is, indeed, his own biggest fan. I realize he's respected by boxers. Going against Mayweather isn't the smartest move for a young kid looking to fight under Mayweather's promotion company. The name "Mayweather" commands record crowds, millions in pay-per-view sales and an abundance of conversation. He's a household name, sadly.

Cotto may not have a prayer Saturday. He might be face-down on the canvas by the fourth or fifth round. But in the event he turns the tide, I hope Mayweather changes his tune. I can picture a press conference geared toward questioning the score cards -- we've seen that before. Excuses are for those who can't get the job done. If Mayweather is as great as he thinks he is, perhaps he'll also be conscious enough to endure the onslaught of criticism that will directed his way should he lose.

tigerthelion's Photo tigerthelion 05 May 2012

That sounds like it was written by a ten year old.

SemperDevilDog's Photo SemperDevilDog 05 May 2012

Ray Paterson, on 05 May 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Glaxor and Biggers are idiots.  Biggers for writing it, and Glaxor for posting it in the pound.
why? Because your boyfriend is depicted as the pos he is?

Ali's Photo Ali 05 May 2012

when has floyd not been a sportsmen?

Ali, on 05 May 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

when has floyd not been a sportsmen?
always

Ray Paterson, on 05 May 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Uh, what?
well you got upset over the article depicting your hero as the piece of shit that he is

HAGLERKIXAZZ's Photo HAGLERKIXAZZ 05 May 2012

I would love to see Cotto win but i seriously doubt it..

Mayweather UD..

Spike's Photo Spike 06 May 2012

Ray Paterson, on 06 May 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

So please explain to me, why a smarter, more athletic, better looking and a worth more than you individual would give a shit about your opinion?

smarter?

Spike's Photo Spike 06 May 2012

this thread is kind of funny now, considering half the site is now bitching about cotto's lack of class and sportsmanship by not dong the post fight interview.

SemperDevilDog's Photo SemperDevilDog 06 May 2012

So please explain to me, why a smarter, more athletic, better looking and a worth more than you individual would give a shit about your opinion?
lol nice try at that. The internet boosting bit ch ass pussy's self esteem

SemperDevilDog's Photo SemperDevilDog 06 May 2012

well for being the non-caring rich, good looking guy you claim  be you sure responded to my response

SemperDevilDog's Photo SemperDevilDog 07 May 2012

Ray Paterson, on 07 May 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'm a "worth more than you" individual.  Better?
thank God for the Web! Let's dumb fa gs be anything they want. Isn't that right ray?

suzi's Photo suzi 08 May 2012

Always