←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Bob Arum On Floyd Mayweather: “he Doesn’t...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 07 May 2012

Bob Arum on Floyd Mayweather: “He Doesn’t Want to Fight Pacquiao”

By David King | Yahoo! Contributor Network

Floyd Mayweather put on the performance of his life on May 5, defeating Miguel Cotto for the WBA super world light-middleweight title via unanimous decision. With the win, there isn't much left for Mayweather to accomplish in boxing, besides a super-fight against WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao.

"Let's give the fans what they want to see," Mayweather said after his win against Cotto. "They want to see Mayweather and Pacquiao."

Of course, Pacquiao will need to win his June 9 bout against Timothy Bradley before serious negotiations can begin with the Mayweather camp.

Under normal circumstances, Pacquiao shouldn't have any problems against the less experienced Bradley, but it's hard to predict the Filipino congressman's current mental state. From legal problems to issues with his training staff, Pacquiao is under more stress than he's accustomed to, and I don't think he'll be at his very best when he faces Bradley.

Many boxing fans blame Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, for the fruitless dialogues between the two camps in the past, and the Top Rank promoter is sticking to his usual bag of tricks - refusing to admit his role in the failed negotiations. He even had an interesting take on the Mayweather-Cotto bout.

"[Mayweather] looked very, very vulnerable," Arum said during an interview with Boxingscene.com. "It was a good fight and I had Cotto winning 5 rounds to 4 after nine rounds and then Cotto faded down the stretch and that Mayweather won the fight but not as wide as the scoring. … [He] is great with that shoulder roll that just blocks the right hand but he can't defend against the left hand. You see how Cotto was hitting him with that left hand almost at will, and if he's fighting a southpaw who has a punch like Pacquiao, he'll suffer. He doesn't want to fight Pacquiao."

Given Arum's comments, it's hard to see a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight ever happening. Mayweather isn't bothered by that though, and he's more than happy to walk away from the sport with his current accomplishments.

"There really isn't anybody out there for me to fight," Mayweather said at the post-fight press conference. "So I really don't know where my career is going to go from here. … I've been feeling like [I want to retire] before this fight. Like I said before, if it is my last my fight at least I gave the fans [what they wanted]."

simba's Photo simba 07 May 2012

View PostGlax0r, on 07 May 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

Bob Arum on Floyd Mayweather: “He Doesn’t Want to Fight Pacquiao”

By David King | Yahoo! Contributor Network

"There really isn't anybody out there for me to fight," Mayweather said at the post-fight press conference. "So I really don't know where my career is going to go from here. … I've been feeling like [I want to retire] before this fight. Like I said before, if it is my last my fight at least I gave the fans [what they wanted]."
Didn't we hear this before? :rolleyes:

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 07 May 2012

Lol

I think arum a d cotto just revealed the whole reason Floyd won't fight manny.

Vulnerable to lefts.

Arum should keep that quiet. We don't need Floyd getting even more scared.

Fact is. If Floyd wanted the fight, we'd have it.

When he wanted Oscar, he bent over backwards. When he wanted Hatton "make the fight.

When PAC comes up?

"um..  He's on A side meth"
@Special testing by my business partners"
"what negotiations?"
"100 million"
He can't go to his own country"
No fair pay split
Etc.

It's ridiculous.

Now Floyd tells us he won't fight because he thinks manny will harm him.

Then he tries to contradict himself after the Cotto fight.

The man is a joke outside the ring. He is ducking a fighter and comes up with new roadblocks every month.

If Floyd wanted it, fight would happen. But he doesn't. So it won't.

If it ever does, Mannys left hand puts him out of his misery.

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 07 May 2012

View Post9secondko, on 07 May 2012 - 03:59 AM, said:

Lol

I think arum a d cotto just revealed the whole reason Floyd won't fight manny.

Vulnerable to lefts.

Arum should keep that quiet. We don't need Floyd getting even more scared.

Fact is. If Floyd wanted the fight, we'd have it.

When he wanted Oscar, he bent over backwards. When he wanted Hatton "make the fight.

When PAC comes up?

"um..  He's on A side meth"
@Special testing by my business partners"
"what negotiations?"
"100 million"
He can't go to his own country"
No fair pay split
Etc.

It's ridiculous.

Now Floyd tells us he won't fight because he thinks manny will harm him.

Then he tries to contradict himself after the Cotto fight.

The man is a joke outside the ring. He is ducking a fighter and comes up with new roadblocks every month.

If Floyd wanted it, fight would happen. But he doesn't. So it won't.

If it ever does, Mannys left hand puts him out of his misery.

Ever think this is what Arum & Co have been waiting on? For Floyd to look vunerable, then make the fight?

knuxx1's Photo knuxx1 07 May 2012

Its easy to point out Floyds flaws in a fight where he was facing a fighter that is natually bigger then he is and applied pressure.  I do believe if Floyd would have simply boxed cotto it wouldve been an easy win for Floyd (but boring fight for the fans).  Floyd is human just like any other fighter and he is getting older as well and father time is undefeated against any fighter.  But last time I checked Manny didnt look too great in his last couple fights and showed many weaknesses that can be exposed by Floyds style of boxing.  If floyd has problems with left punches then Manny has problems with counter punchers whis is something that has already been proven in more then 1 fight.  Styles make fights and I still think Floyds style can give Manny fits if Floyd just sticks to boxing and not try that slugfest style he did against cotto.

Guest_bitchezcallmeG0D_* 07 May 2012

Bob doesn't want manny to fight floyd, after 3 years of articles like this its become that evident

Smelodies's Photo Smelodies 07 May 2012

View PostbitchezcallmeG0D, on 07 May 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Bob doesn't want manny to fight floyd, after 3 years of articles like this its become that evident

Or manny doesn't want to fight Floyd and Bob is simply putting the best face on it.

moneymaywhat?'s Photo moneymaywhat? 07 May 2012

If anything came out of this is a way for Pac to beat Floyd. If Cotto drew blood from getgo, Pac would draw blood walking to the ring lolol

Guest_bitchezcallmeG0D_* 07 May 2012

View PostElkay, on 07 May 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Or manny doesn't want to fight Floyd and Bob is simply putting the best face on it.

Manny says he wants to fight floyd, his promoter is the only one that can make that happen. He just chooses not to

jlc80's Photo jlc80 07 May 2012

I'm glad Floyd finally shined some light on Arum and his influence and power regarding who Pacquiao fights. So many casual fans have no idea who Arum is and the history he has with Floyd which has a lot to do with the standoff that is currently going on. When I speak to someone and they have no idea who Arum is but tries to say Floyd is ducking, I don't waste my time with them. There's so much of a back story to this but you should know all the players involved before forming an opinion on why the fight isn't happening.

View Postknuxx1, on 07 May 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Its easy to point out Floyds flaws in a fight where he was facing a fighter that is natually bigger then he is and applied pressure.  I do believe if Floyd would have simply boxed cotto it wouldve been an easy win for Floyd (but boring fight for the fans).  Floyd is human just like any other fighter and he is getting older as well and father time is undefeated against any fighter.  But last time I checked Manny didnt look too great in his last couple fights and showed many weaknesses that can be exposed by Floyds style of boxing.  If floyd has problems with left punches then Manny has problems with counter punchers whis is something that has already been proven in more then 1 fight.  Styles make fights and I still think Floyds style can give Manny fits if Floyd just sticks to boxing and not try that slugfest style he did against cotto.

Welcome to the pound. Sounds like you have more sense than a many of our older members. :D

Javier Saldivar's Photo Javier Saldivar 07 May 2012

It's not rocket science here guys. Floyd knows that Pacquiao is a legitimate threat. That is why he's demanding all these things that he never asked of any fighter before Manny. Remember when Oscar punked out Floyd at the negotiating table when they fought? Floyd still took the fight because it was still more money than he ever made and knew Oscar was older and couldn't pull the trigger anymore. Prior to the Oscar fight Floyd didn't make these huge purses he makes now, that fight made Floyd who he is today, "Money May". Prior to Floyd and Oscar's fight Pacquiao was busy moving up the ranks and destroying future hall of famers, and earning big paydays that Floyd had yet to see. If he never fought cash cow Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd wouldn't have anywhere near the notoriety and earning potential he now has. If there is ever a fight in history that deserves a 50/50 split, its this one. I just got in a heated argument this Saturday after the fight with a friend of mine over this same issue. He said that Floyd should get the lions share of the purse with Pacquiao because he's undefeated. I was like, " Wtf are you talking about"!!

View PostJavier Saldivar, on 07 May 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

It's not rocket science here guys. Floyd knows that Pacquiao is a legitimate threat. That is why he's demanding all these things that he never asked of any fighter before Manny. Remember when Oscar punked out Floyd at the negotiating table when they fought? Floyd still took the fight because it was still more money than he ever made and knew Oscar was older and couldn't pull the trigger anymore. Prior to the Oscar fight Floyd didn't make these huge purses he makes now, that fight made Floyd who he is today, "Money May". Prior to Floyd and Oscar's fight Pacquiao was busy moving up the ranks and destroying future hall of famers, and earning big paydays that Floyd had yet to see. If he never fought cash cow Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd wouldn't have anywhere near the notoriety and earning potential he now has. If there is ever a fight in history that deserves a 50/50 split, its this one. I just got in a heated argument this Saturday after the fight with a friend of mine over this same issue. He said that Floyd should get the lions share of the purse with Pacquiao because he's undefeated. I was like, " Wtf are you talking about"!!

This is one of the worst "beginner" post i've ever read. Nevertheless...welcome.

Smelodies's Photo Smelodies 07 May 2012

View PostbitchezcallmeG0D, on 07 May 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

Manny says he wants to fight floyd

:rolleyes:

Rocket Pop's Photo Rocket Pop 07 May 2012

Floyd says there is really nobody left and you numbnuts say Arum protects his fighter etc.. ah fuck it you nuthuggerz are soooo stupid.