←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Manny Pacquiao Passes On Rematch With Timo...

Tdog987's Photo Tdog987 13 Sep 2012

Manny Pacquiao passes on rematch with Timothy Bradley

Sep 12, 2012

by Leighton Ginn

With Manny Pacquiao electing to fight Juan Manuel Marquez for a fourth time, WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley had two words for getting passed over for a rematch. Only one word is printable — chicken.

"I can't believe these guys," Bradley said in an exclusive interview with The Desert Sun on Wednesday. "He didn't want any part of me. Marquez is an easier fight. He knows that a fight with me and two good legs is going to be hell.

"I can't believe it. Any champion who lost his belt, you would want to redeem yourself."

After weeks of indecision, Pacquiao decided to fight Marquez, according to Top Rank promoter Bob Arum in an ESPN.com article. Contracts have not been finalized, but Bradley's manager Cameron Dunkin was told Tuesday by Top Rank president Todd duBoef that the deal is 90 percent certain.

"When I spoke with (Top Rank president Todd duBoef), he said ‘Cameron, we're not going backwards,'" Dunkin said in a telephone interview.

On June 9, Cathedral City's Bradley overcame two ankle injuries to upset Pacquiao in a controversial split decision in Las Vegas.

The large majority of the fans and media had Pacquiao winning easily.

Pacquiao had a rematch clause against Bradley, but he elected not to exercise it to fight Marquez for a fourth time.

Bradley was paid $5 million for his fight against Pacquiao and a rematch was reportedly worth $10 million for the Cathedral City resident.

However, Pacquiao has been indecisive in determining an opponent for the winter. Originally, Pacquiao was to fight Nov. 10 and was trying to decide between Bradley, Marquez and Miguel Cotto.

Then Pacquiao changed his fight date to Dec. 1, apparently in an effort to fight Cotto. But then Cotto elected to fight Austin Trout on Dec. 1 in New York.

Pacquiao then delayed his fight date again to Dec. 8.

Financially, Marquez was the more lucrative fight based on Pacquiao's last two contests.

Pacquiao fought Marquez last November and generated 1.3 million pay-per-view buys, with each buy over $50. In June, Bradley-Pacquiao generated over 900,000 buys.

Pacquiao's indecision in deciding his next opponent prevented Bradley from determining his next step. Earlier this week, the Bradley camp even thought they would land the lucrative rematch, Diaz said.

"Manny knows Tim is a complicated fighter," said Bradley trainer Joel Diaz. "Tim already had his number. If you go for the easier fight, you go with Marquez."

Dunkin said he will meet with Top Rank executives Arum and duBoef as well as HBO this week to discuss Bradley's options for next fight, which will be either November or December.

However, Bradley won't fight on the undercard of any fight, Dunkin said. He wants Bradley to be the headliner to maximize his exposure.

Prior to his victory over Pacquiao, Bradley was largely unknown. Dunkin said the strategy is to build up Bradley's visibility.

"I told Todd, ‘I don't want Tim's career to be based on Manny,'" Dunkin said. "Tim needs to stand on his own, and to build the Tim Bradley business."

Dunkin believes that Bradley fighting Nov. 10, Pacquiao's original fight date, might be too soon to allow for proper promotion.

With December loading up with pay-per-view fights — Cotto on Dec. 1 and Pacquiao-Marquez on Dec. 8 — Bradley fighting Dec. 15 might be a logical choice, Dunkin said.

Physically, Diaz said Bradley has ample time to fight as early as No. 10 if needed.

As for a potential venue, Bradley said he wants to fight in Southern California to be closer to his fans. In the ESPN.com article, Arum suggested taking Bradley to New York to fight at The Theater inside Madison Square Garden.

Bradley had been the No. 1 fighter in the 140-pound weight class before winning Pacquiao's 147-pound title.

Dunkin said Bradley will defend his welterweight title after relinquishing his light-welterweight title.

Dunkin said there's some concern finding the right opponent — a tough opponent who could elevate Bradley's standing — as the welterweight division is getting thin.

"It's always a concern. Manny has had a hard time finding people," Dunkin said. "But I want to find an appealing fight. And Tim's a likeable guy, and I want to get him back out in the public so people can see his smile and the Tim Bradley we all know and love.

"We want him to be a star and we want him to be special. Top Rank said he has all the attributes to do that."
In June, Bradley stunned the boxing world with his controversial split-decision victory over Pacquiao.

Arum, who represents both fighters, called for the Nevada state attorney general to investigate the fight and Senators Harry Reid of Nevada and John McCain of Arizona introduced a boxing bill to regulate the sport.

After the fight, Pacquiao said he wanted a rematch, and suggested he would go for the knockout to take the results out of the judges' hands.

"What the public needs to know is Pacquiao, their No. 1 dude, doesn't care about his loss," Bradley said. "You need to redeem yourself because Tim Bradley beat you. You need to come back and redeem that loss.

"In my eyes, chicken (expletive), chicken, chicken, chicken. I'm too much for these boys, man."

psylancer's Photo psylancer 13 Sep 2012

Bradley needs to pull a Clubber Lang by showing up to Pacquiao's press conferences and hitting on Jinkee.

jbox's Photo jbox 13 Sep 2012

Bradley does know he lost right?

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 13 Sep 2012

Bradley is in the twilight zone.

He knows he lost big. And Ge knows Jmm is a difficult style for PAC, while Bradley can simply spar and last the 12, whip PAC breaks his legs by punching his face.

Lol @ the clubber Lang comment. Although if Tim did that, I could see his own wife thinking much differently of him and PAC turning intone Tyson on the spot.

PAC knows that the political game is against him now. Even his own promoter. So he's going to cut Bradley out of cash and fame while tying things up with jmm, whom PAC has much respect for.

I do see PAC taking Bradley's belt and possibly health away after that fight though. And who knows if he will be around after that. Nothing else to accomplish.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 13 Sep 2012

at the end of the day both bradley and marquez are arum promoted.

he wins out of either one getting the fight.

just bored with the marquez rivalry now.

3rd fight lacked the spark of the first 2.

bradley rematch or another opponent please. :rolleyes:

CHAVEZ4EVER's Photo CHAVEZ4EVER 13 Sep 2012

psylancer, on 13 September 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

Bradley needs to pull a Clubber Lang by showing up to Pacquiao's press conferences and hitting on Jinkee.

"HEY WOOO-MAN!" - CLUBBER LANG

CHAVEZ4EVER's Photo CHAVEZ4EVER 13 Sep 2012

BRADLEY AND HIS PEOPLE ARE DELUSIONAL. JMM IS THE EASIER FIGHT? HAVE THEY NOT SEEN THE PREVIOUS 3 FIGHTS? BRADLEY DID NOWHERE AS GOOD AS MARQUEZ DID ANY OF THE 3 PAC-MARQUEZ BOUTS. I'M REALLY GLAD THEY LEFT BRADLEY HANGING! HE DID NOT BEAT MANNY PACQUIAO.

jlc80's Photo jlc80 13 Sep 2012

Although i would give Bradley a good chance of winning a rematch with Pacquiao, no way JMM is an easier fight. JMM makes Pacquiao think every second he is in the ring which isn't his strong suit.

simba's Photo simba 13 Sep 2012

Take a hike, Bradley. :angry2:

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 13 Sep 2012

Manny giving him a rematch would've only given credence to Bradley's "win". I'd rather Manny fight someone other than JMM but I'm perfectly fine with him not fighting Bradley.

And maybe Bradley can take on an Andre Berto or Khan, or have Peterson move up... there are fights for him out there.

linkpeso's Photo linkpeso 13 Sep 2012

Bradley isn't even gonna make 5 mil for his next fight now.  I know the guy is at at 140 but I would like to see him righ matthysse

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 13 Sep 2012

CHAVEZ4EVER, on 13 September 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

BRADLEY AND HIS PEOPLE ARE DELUSIONAL. JMM IS THE EASIER FIGHT? HAVE THEY NOT SEEN THE PREVIOUS 3 FIGHTS? BRADLEY DID NOWHERE AS GOOD AS MARQUEZ DID ANY OF THE 3 PAC-MARQUEZ BOUTS. I'M REALLY GLAD THEY LEFT BRADLEY HANGING! HE DID NOT BEAT MANNY PACQUIAO.

And Pac didn't beat Juan last November. .. but he's facing him for THE FOURTH TIME!

Manchester Hitman's Photo Manchester Hitman 13 Sep 2012

Hatton v Bradley next year?

mos-def's Photo mos-def 13 Sep 2012

simba, on 13 September 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

Take a hike, Bradley. :angry2:
lol

Rocket Pop's Photo Rocket Pop 13 Sep 2012

Manny can pass on Bradley and he'll still land some big bouts in the near future.