←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Having Just Re-watched The 12 Round,........

BABABOOEY's Photo BABABOOEY 16 Sep 2012

......I am even MORE impressed with Sergio Martinez' performance. He was out on his feet for the last 90 seconds. Jr., who should have been fresh from not doing a damn thing for the first 11 and a half rounds, had Sergio out, and couldn't close the deal. Sergio absolutely backed up everything he said he would do, except the KO. Re-watch the rd (it's already on Youtube, just not in English). After Sergio got up, still clearly buzzed, he took a few more hard shots from Jr., and kept swiniging back. Didn't try to clinch his way through the rd (though that woulda been the wisest thing to do). He stood and went toe to toe, preferring to win on his feet, or lose on his back.

This rd reminded a lot of Morales-Pacquiao 1st first 12th d.

bomani-d's Photo bomani-d 16 Sep 2012

dude, next time post the link :D

serg got caught on tired legs. but was nowhere near out on his feet.
Still, tremendous effort, he looks like a midget in there with jr.

serial's Photo serial 16 Sep 2012

I was impressed with Jr but, Martinez was everything he said he was and claims to be. Like Roy said, he is the closest thing to the old RJJ we have today. Martinez was wobbled but, what do you expect when you take a full power shot from a cruiser weight.

crafty's Photo crafty 16 Sep 2012

serial, on 16 September 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

I was impressed with Jr but, Martinez was everything he said he was and claims to be. Like Roy said, he is the closest thing to the old RJJ we have today. Martinez was wobbled but, what do you expect when you take a full power shot from a cruiser weight.
Not to mention the amazing recuperative powers he displayed in round 12 for a man pushing 38yrs.

fourtheboys96's Photo fourtheboys96 16 Sep 2012

Not taking anything away from Martinez's heart and chin, in my opinion, Jr also has below average power for a man his size.
Remember, his KO victories against Lee, Zbik, and other smaller fighters he fought before (except Lee) were not 1 punch KO. More of accumulation of punches.
And if you factor in his huge size advantage, you'll get what I mean.

SuperiorKnowledge's Photo SuperiorKnowledge 16 Sep 2012

fourtheboys96, on 16 September 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

Not taking anything away from Martinez's heart and chin, in my opinion, Jr also has below average power for a man his size.
Remember, his KO victories against Lee, Zbik, and other smaller fighters he fought before (except Lee) were not 1 punch KO. More of accumulation of punches.
And if you factor in his huge size advantage, you'll get what I mean.

He had Sergio hurt and rocked with one solid shot in the 12th. He has power. He weighs in at 160. He obviously cuts a lot of weight but since when does that provide strength and power? This forum is extremely hypocritical. People will claim the weight drainage Chavez goes through is an advantage,  but in Dawson's case, it's the main factor in his TKO loss.

SuperiorKnowledge, on 16 September 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

He had Sergio hurt and rocked with one solid shot in the 12th. He has power. He weighs in at 160. He obviously cuts a lot of weight but since when does that provide strength and power? This forum is extremely hypocritical. People will claim the weight drainage Chavez goes through is an advantage,  but in Dawson's case, it's the main factor in his TKO loss.
He hrt Sergio "with one solid shot" after the 37 y/o had been bouncing on his feet like a 25 y/o the whole night. That knockdown was more about Sergio's fatigue then Chavez' power. He doesn't have one punch KO power.

SemperDevilDog's Photo SemperDevilDog 16 Sep 2012

BABABOOEY, on 16 September 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

He hrt Sergio "with one solid shot" after the 37 y/o had been bouncing on his feet like a 25 y/o the whole night. That knockdown was more about Sergio's fatigue then Chavez' power. He doesn't have one punch KO power.
yup the punches he battered sm with had nothing to do with the kd

SemperDevilDog, on 16 September 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

yup the punches he battered sm with had nothing to do with the kd
Genius, did he catch Sergio with anything the first 11 rds? No. But after 11 and a half rds of bouncing around like Ali, Sergio became human again and got caught. Dont act like this was Daddy Chavez breaking Meldrick Taylor down and finally catching him. Jr.'s performance was a disgrace to his Dad's name.

Spike's Photo Spike 16 Sep 2012

bomani-d, on 16 September 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

dude, next time post the link :D

serg got caught on tired legs. but was nowhere near out on his feet.
Still, tremendous effort, he looks like a midget in there with jr.
not only that he got knocked down twice and both times he got up fighting, he didn't run he didnt clutch and hold, he could have pulled an oscar but didn't. people in here trying to find something to give jr credit for? fuck that all the credit goes to martinez.

Spike, on 16 September 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

not only that he got knocked down twice and both times he got up fighting, he didn't run he didnt clutch and hold, he could have pulled an oscar but didn't. people in here trying to find something to give jr credit for? fuck that all the credit goes to martinez.
that second KD was ruled a slip, courtesy of jrs headlock.

just watched again, did anyone notice how fucking wide jr's punches were? he's begging to get chinchecked.

mos-def's Photo mos-def 16 Sep 2012

Jr. sucks...

mos-def, on 16 September 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Jr. sucks...
shocking right? :P
how many matt vanda's are on SM's roster? lol

Ali's Photo Ali 16 Sep 2012

are you guys still searching?

agree, jr got in a punch that slowed down SM enough to let him connect.  I think SM fought back realizing that desperate surges like that are dangerous.
Castillo tried to close Corrales and we all know Chico landed a right hand during that rally that turned the tide.
I truly think if he fights jr again he'll do the same as he did versus pw, time the wide punch, set his feet and throw a left to the chin with full weight