←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Kevin Mitchell: I Wanna Make Braveheart 2

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 16 Sep 2012

I wanna make Braveheart 2
By JIM BLACK

KEVIN MITCHELL is threatening to turn the clock back 800 years at the SECC on Saturday night.

The cocky Cockney has vowed to leave world champion Ricky Burns hung, drawn and quartered in boxing’s equivalent of Braveheart.

Mitchell is a huge fan of the epic movie starring Mel Gibson as Sir William Wallace in his bloody battles with the English for Scottish Independence.

And he is intent on inflicting another painful defeat on the Scots in the same way that Edward I — nicknamed Longshanks and also known as the Hammer of the Scots — did in pursuing Wallace and his army.

But Mitchell has promised not to mimic one of the movie’s most memorable moment and drop his shorts and bare his backside to 10,000 of Burns’ countrymen.

Wallace and his troops turned their backs, lifted their kitls and mooned at the English in a lighter moment before one of the Hollywood battle scenes.

Mitchell will instead settle for pillaging 29-year-old Coatbridge ace Burns’ WBO lightweight crown in the biggest fight Glasgow has hosted in decades. Mitchell said: “I’m into history and I’m going to do to Ricky what Longshanks did to Wallace.

“I love the movie Braveheart and I am going to recreate the scene when Wallace was hung, drawn and quartered.

“I’ve been to Scotland a few times and it’s a good place and the people are very passionate, but I’ll have them crying into their beer.

“I’m fully expecting a very hot reception, but I’ve faced plenty of adversity in my career.

“I was going through a bad time in my life and I still managed to put in a great performance against John Murray and beat him with all of Liverpool against me.”

Super-fit Burns, meanwhile, is winding down his preparations after a 12-week training camp and will tick over with light gym work to stay in peak condition.

The champion had considered going to Las Vegas to train but had a change of heart, fearing that he might upset his winning formula.

But Mitchell, 27, revealed that he spent a fortnight running in the Rocky Mountains in an effort to increase his lung capacity.

He added: “I decided to go to Canada at the start of my training camp three months ago and I found it very invigorating.

“A combination of running in the mountains and constant gym work got my fitness up quickly and it was an inspirational experience.

“So much so that I plan to set up a permanent training camp there once I’m world champion.”

The SECC is set to be a sellout according to promoter Frank Warren and fight fans have been warned to, snap up the remaining tickets that are available — or risk missing the biggest night of Burns’ career.

But those who can’t make it will have the chance to rub shoulders with the ring rivals when they step on the scales at the venue on Friday afternoon.

Warren has confirmed that the weigh-in at the Lomond Auditorium, scheduled to take place at 2pm, will be open free to the public.

Saturday’s show will also feature comeback man Scott Harrison against an as-yet unnamed opponent in an eight-round non-title contest.

And popular Greenock super-featherweight John Simpson will defend his Celtic title against the Welshman Dai Davies.

Burns v Mitchell will be live on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz26gvVUOA4

watson748's Photo watson748 17 Sep 2012

Can't wait for this.

I hope Mitchell is as fit as he can be so that we get as even a contest as possible. Thing is though, his last performance was pretty lack luster and he'll need to improve on that as well as his fitness to beat Burns.

Ricky won't be standing with his hanging chin out there like Murray trading blow for blow. He'll be covering up and then exploding with body and head shots before going back into his shell again.

If this fight had taken place 3 years ago I would have picked Mitchell without question, but I feel his inactivity coupled with Burns massive improvements will give Burns the edge.

Burns UD

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 17 Sep 2012

Damn you Watson.  I've been posting a lot of Scots news in this forum lately (mostly horrible crimes) trying to get your attention....but like the stereotype... I should have know the word "Braveheart" in the title would bring you out of the wood work.

View PostGlax0r, on 17 September 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Damn you Watson.  I've been posting a lot of Scots news in this forum lately (mostly horrible crimes) trying to get your attention....but like the stereotype... I should have know the word "Braveheart" in the title would bring you out of the wood work.

:lol:

I've been working hard lately and haven't had much time to post here. However this is arguably the 2nd biggest fight we'll have in the UK this year and I can't wait for it. :cool2:

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 17 Sep 2012

i see it going the distance.

like virtually everyone does. :D

burns has the better defence.

so probably him.

make mitchell a live dog though.

View Postwatson748, on 17 September 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

:lol:

I've been working hard lately and haven't had much time to post here. However this is arguably the 2nd biggest fight we'll have in the UK this year and I can't wait for it. :cool2:

no excuses watson.

ffs so easy these days.

:horse:

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 17 Sep 2012

Should be a good chess match this, both can box rather well on their day.

Got a feeling Mitchell will be up for this and I can smell the upset....  7th round stoppage.

View PostROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 17 September 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Should be a good chess match this, both can box rather well on their day.

Got a feeling Mitchell will be up for this and I can smell the upset....  7th round stoppage.
Would need to be from body shots then cause I don't think Mitchell carries the same power as Katsidis who couldn't even drop Burns.

Burns also has one of the toughest chins in the sport and one of the best defences to go along with it. Hes got those big long arms which he tucks up like a Praying Mantis stopping body attacks. I've always liked Mitchells guts and drive but I just feel hes been out of the main stream too long now to overpower Ricky.

Thing is that I would have picked Mitchell to beat the Rios that Murray fought and lost too.

View Postwatson748, on 17 September 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Would need to be from body shots then cause I don't think Mitchell carries the same power as Katsidis who couldn't even drop Burns.

Burns also has one of the toughest chins in the sport and one of the best defences to go along with it. Hes got those big long arms which he tucks up like a Praying Mantis stopping body attacks. I've always liked Mitchells guts and drive but I just feel hes been out of the main stream too long now to overpower Ricky.

Thing is that I would have picked Mitchell to beat the Rios that Murray fought and lost too.

Yeah you could right, it's one of them they are both decent and sometimes it ends up a case of who wants it more on the night.  Obviously if you go off how they both did against Kats then automatically you would give Burns the edge.  But even though Kats blasted Mitchell I still think Mitchell is.....  not saying the better boxer, just in some ways he has better technique. I think Kats has got good technique but his style can make him look a bit scrappy and he leaves massive gaps in his defence because he really lets fly with the punches.  On his best day Mitchell can look really good when he puts his punches together, he has that bit of class when he throws combo's.  

I think if he can close the distance then I have think he's got the talent to give Burns problems.  

But that's the problem you have when you face Burns, you have got to get past the reach and the size to close the distance and Burns is great at fighting tall.  It's one of them, just hope it's a good fight because it has all the making of been a great styles match up.  Be fucking gutted if this ends up a FOTY candidate..  I did want to go to this one cos I'm in Jockland over the weekend,  but we are nowhere near where it's taking place and the missus doesn't want to treck there...  Silly bitch.  lol

View PostROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 17 September 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Yeah you could right, it's one of them they are both decent and sometimes it ends up a case of who wants it more on the night.  Obviously if you go off how they both did against Kats then automatically you would give Burns the edge.  But even though Kats blasted Mitchell I still think Mitchell is.....  not saying the better boxer, just in some ways he has better technique. I think Kats has got good technique but his style can make him look a bit scrappy and he leaves massive gaps in his defence because he really lets fly with the punches.  On his best day Mitchell can look really good when he puts his punches together, he has that bit of class when he throws combo's.  

I think if he can close the distance then I have think he's got the talent to give Burns problems.  

But that's the problem you have when you face Burns, you have got to get past the reach and the size to close the distance and Burns is great at fighting tall.  It's one of them, just hope it's a good fight because it has all the making of been a great styles match up.  Be fucking gutted if this ends up a FOTY candidate..  I did want to go to this one cos I'm in Jockland over the weekend,  but we are nowhere near where it's taking place and the missus doesn't want to treck there...  Silly bitch.  lol

I've always thought Mitchell was classy. I don't know if it was his 'out of the ring' activities or lack of 'in the ring activity', but the last 3 years has been terrible for his career. Katsidis flattened him as if he was a journeyman yet he looked brilliant against Murray. Having sad that I never rated Murray and could never understand when he won the writers young boxer award or whatever the hell it was for the most talented newcomer. :unsure:

If the opponents can't hurt him (like Kat) Mitchells always in with a shout, because he carries good spiteful power, is accurate and throws in bunches. Although Burns does hit harder than his KO record suggests. Derry Matthews (who trained with Burns) has voiced his opinion on this and katsidis's face was a black and blue mess after his encounter with Ricky.......hes not a power puncher.

However, I don't see Burns stopping Mitchell unless hes not as fit as he thinks he is. As you point out you have to hit the target and closing the distance against Burns will be a real challenge. Ricky Burns is no longer just a 'pretty good' Brit who poses a stiff challenge to any would-be contender. Hes a legit World champ who has very easily held his own against top rated fighters (certainly guys with more power than Mitchell)  and he knows when to take the fight to an opponent and when to cover up.

Its a pity you can't make it to the fight because the undercards a cracker. Its got Scott Harrison and John Simpson, always value for money. :D

I still haven't decided if I'm going to go or not. I've got something on during sat afternoon and its going to be a bit of a rush to get back and away out again. :(

Buffer is doing the ring announcing :D

Legendary ring announcer Michael Buffer says Glasgow will be bigger than boxing's capital Las Vegas when WBO World Lightweight Champion Ricky Burns and Kevin Mitchell clash at the SECC on Saturday 22nd September. Buffer has swapped the bright lights of Sin City for the hard streets of Glasgow and will belt out his immortal phrase "Lets Get Ready To Rumble" moments before the historic Auld rival showdown which is live and exclusive on BoxNation, (Sky Ch. 437, Virgin Ch. 546).

"When offered the chance to come to Glasgow for this fight I jumped on it." Said Buffer. "When two of the best in a division agree to fight each other, I want to be there. When the fight is to be held in a great venue like the SECC, it makes it even better and better again when the rivalry and fan bases are added to the mix. Forget about Las Vegas or Madison Square Garden as I expect nothing less than a roaring crowd and a great fight. After thirty years of announcing fights, I'm still a fan and still love the energy of a big time event like this one."

"The upcoming fight between Burns and Mitchell, will have the same atmosphere as the epic Ken Buchanan-Jim Watt battle. I'm sure there will be a contingent of loyal Mitchell fans making their way north to support their fellow Englishman but while they will be extremely vocal, they'll be quite outnumbered by the Rickster's Scottish countrymen. The scene should be electric and memorable,"

prefer jimmy lennon.

although buffer is class to. :walk:

Fucking hell Buffer there to, think I might just create an argument when we are there and then bail..  seriously feel like doing it.. lol

View Postwatson748, on 17 September 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

I've always thought Mitchell was classy. I don't know if it was his 'out of the ring' activities or lack of 'in the ring activity', but the last 3 years has been terrible for his career. Katsidis flattened him as if he was a journeyman yet he looked brilliant against Murray. Having sad that I never rated Murray and could never understand when he won the writers young boxer award or whatever the hell it was for the most talented newcomer. :unsure:

If the opponents can't hurt him (like Kat) Mitchells always in with a shout, because he carries good spiteful power, is accurate and throws in bunches. Although Burns does hit harder than his KO record suggests. Derry Matthews (who trained with Burns) has voiced his opinion on this and katsidis's face was a black and blue mess after his encounter with Ricky.......hes not a power puncher.

However, I don't see Burns stopping Mitchell unless hes not as fit as he thinks he is. As you point out you have to hit the target and closing the distance against Burns will be a real challenge. Ricky Burns is no longer just a 'pretty good' Brit who poses a stiff challenge to any would-be contender. Hes a legit World champ who has very easily held his own against top rated fighters (certainly guys with more power than Mitchell)  and he knows when to take the fight to an opponent and when to cover up.

Its a pity you can't make it to the fight because the undercards a cracker. Its got Scott Harrison and John Simpson, always value for money. :D

I still haven't decided if I'm going to go or not. I've got something on during sat afternoon and its going to be a bit of a rush to get back and away out again. :(

I know what you mean about Murray, I think everyone could see he was limited except for boxing writers, SKY pundits and commentators etc.  If that Mitchell shows up against Burns then we're in for a treat.  Mitchell's back was against the wall in that fight, he knew if lost that one then he was in the shit.  He looked sharp that night, I know Murray is limited but even when a fighter is in there with a total and utter can you can still tell if they are sharp or not.  I'm hoping for that Mitchell to show up because it should be a goodan then.

If Burns doesn't get Mitchell's respect then it's going to be a long night for him I think personally because one thing about Mitchell is he can fight inside and he has timing that's something that lanky long limbed fighters don't look too great against, they can tend to look like they are spoiling with holding and clinching etc.  

So on that note........   I'm going for a Burns win UD.

Nah only jokerling... I'll stick with 7th round stoppage for Mitchell, it's a long shot but definitely think Mitchell will be up for this one...  world title on the line and that.  I think he's going to bring it.

Menty's Photo Menty 17 Sep 2012

Unless Mitchell suddenly develops Herbie Hide legendary type of power then I cant really see him putting a dent in Burns - most likely this fight goes the distance with Burns winning a tougher than expected decision.