←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Klitschko: Nobody Beat Me The Way Corrie Did

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 27 Sep 2012

Klitschko: Nobody beat me the way Corrie did
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 8:09 AM EDT Updated: Sep 27, 2012 8:09 AM EDT

By GERALD IMRAY, 8newsnow.com

JOHANNESBURG - Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko paid tribute to late boxer Corrie Sanders on Thursday, saying the South African made him the fighter he is today.

Klitschko said his shocking second-round knockout against Sanders to lose his WBO title in 2003 was pivotal in his later dominance of the heavyweight division.

Sanders died last weekend after being shot by robbers during a family celebration at a restaurant in a small town in northern South Africa.

"The loss against him changed a side of my character tremendously, it made me tougher and it made me better," the younger Klitschko brother told Eyewitness News radio in Germany. "Without my experience with Corrie I wouldn't be the same way."

Sanders' emphatic defeat of Klitschko nearly a decade ago is one of only three professional defeats for the Ukrainian, who holds the WBA, IBF and minor WBO and IBO belts, and hasn't lost a fight in eight years.

"Before and after the Corrie Sanders fight, nobody beat me the way he did," Klitschko said.

Sanders' death in a hospital hours after being shot by armed men who burst into his nephew's 21st birthday celebration on Saturday led to condolence messages from many South African sports stars, television personalities and entertainers.

Klitschko brothers Vitali and Wladimir and former undisputed world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis also talked of their sadness at the loss of the popular southpaw, who was 46.

Sanders was shot in the arm and stomach as he tried to shield his teenage daughter during the robbery.

"The boxing world will remember Corrie as a heavy hitter and a good man. I have nothing bad to say about Corrie at all," Wladimir said.

Three suspects were arrested in connection with Sanders' murder on Thursday. His funeral will be held Monday.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 27 Sep 2012

Class from Wlad.

Sanders was a classy guy.

Glad to hear that they may be on to who the murderers are.

I hope they stop at nothing to catch the actual criminals and that they receive the most severe punishment possible.

Undisputed's Photo Undisputed 27 Sep 2012

I agree with Wlad. Nobody beat him as tremendously as Corrie did.

Made Wladamir his son.

bazooka, on 27 September 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

I like seeing fighters come back stronger after a defeat.  Especially a bad defeat.  Too bad Wlad never rematched Corrie.  He probably beats Sanders in a rematch but ya never know for sure.

While Wlad improved as a fighter, and under Manny's tutelage...I'm sure he had the tools to beat Corrie Sanders. The Sanders who lost to Vitali would have KO'ed Wlad in a rematch.

bazooka, on 27 September 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Its been a while......i gotta go watch that one again.  Sanders was a guy who wasn't always in the best shape, but yeah that big time power of his and Wlad's suspect chin would always leave the possibility for another KO.

Even Vitali was getting pieced up by Sanders for a few rounds. Difference being Vitali has a granite chin.

hughjastic's Photo hughjastic 27 Sep 2012

I think Wlad would have beaten Corrie in a rematch but it would have been ugly. Clinchfest whenever he got in trouble. RIP champ.

Stxwolf's Photo Stxwolf 27 Sep 2012

Wlad made the same mistake against Sanders Judah did against Tszyu. Instead of taking a couple of seconds to steady himself before getting up, he tried to jump right back into it and his skull wasn't ready.

Johnny Hopper's Photo Johnny Hopper 29 Sep 2012

bazooka, on 27 September 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

I like seeing fighters come back stronger after a defeat.  Especially a bad defeat.  Too bad Wlad never rematched Corrie.  He probably beats Sanders in a rematch but ya never know for sure.

Not an immediate rematch I don't think. Wlad continued to fight in that high energy headhunter style for the next 2.5 years. He got blasted by Brewster and was on queer street against Williamson after the Sanders fight. Wasn't until he fought Peter that we got a glimpse of the new and improved jab jab hug Wlad. It's been nothing but sheer non-excitement ever since.

Johnny Hopper's Photo Johnny Hopper 29 Sep 2012

Undisputed, on 27 September 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

Even Vitali was getting pieced up by Sanders for a few rounds. Difference being Vitali has a granite chin.

Yeah, I think Corrie had Wlad's number. He made it look pretty easy and actually laid out a pretty good blueprint for beating him. Unfortunately nobody except Peter has attempted to follow it since. Throw caution to the wind and come out swinging.

shove-aloe's Photo shove-aloe 30 Sep 2012

Johnny Hopper, on 29 September 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Not an immediate rematch I don't think. Wlad continued to fight in that high energy headhunter style for the next 2.5 years. He got blasted by Brewster and was on queer street against Williamson after the Sanders fight. Wasn't until he fought Peter that we got a glimpse of the new and improved jab jab hug Wlad. It's been nothing but sheer non-excitement ever since.

^
this

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 30 Sep 2012

Corrie Spinx mane beat who? Mane I'm buzzed

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 30 Sep 2012

Klitschko: Nobody beat me the way Corrie did

That is because Ibeabuchi who you would have been fighting instead of Sam Peter, was in jail.