←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Degale: I Don't Need Groves, I'm O...

watson748's Photo watson748 27 Sep 2012

JAMES DeGale plans to clean up his angry image and kick-start his career next month.
The 2008 Olympic hero has signed a new deal with promoter Mick Hennessy for his fights to be shown on Channel 5.
He says it will be the perfect platform to show he not only has the talent to win a world title, but the personality to get the country behind him.
“I’ve got the buzz back,” said DeGale. “This is something new, something fresh, it’s exciting.
“I haven’t boxed on terrestrial TV since my Olympic final four years ago. I was a household name, but things all went a bit flat. With this new deal, I’ve got the ­hunger back.
“Mick’s last couple of shows have got two million-plus viewers. As an ­Olympic champion, things can go through the roof.”
The 26-year-old Londoner will defend his European super-middleweight title at Glow in Bluewater, Kent, on October 13, probably against ­Hadillah ­Mohoumadi, of France.
He also hopes to box in Monte Carlo in December as his career steps up a gear.
DeGale has boxed just once this year ­after ending his promotional deal with Frank Warren, knocking out Italian Cristian Sanavia to defend his European super-middleweight title.
“I had fights falling through and I would have trained for eight weeks,” he said.
“I boxed once in a year. You start not to care. Eight weeks in the gym and then you don’t box – and if you don’t box, you don’t get paid. I’ve got to think about my career too. In four years since I won the Olympic title, I’ve had 13 fights. That’s crazy.”
But DeGale began to turn fans off with his antics before his fight with George Groves last year, when he taunted his rival as “ugly” and “ginger”.
When Groves won a narrow points ­decision, few felt sorry for the loser.
“I want people to see me in a different light,” said DeGale. “People who know me know I’m genuine, I’m nice.
“In the build-up, you don’t realise what you are doing because behind the scenes, someone is going, ‘Yeah, Chunky, do it, you’re funny’.
You are getting the stick, but you don’t realise until after, when you read comments on Facebook, that people didn’t take things that well.
“I’m 26 now. I’ve matured. Groves is out of my system. That rematch will happen, somewhere along the line.
“I don’t need Groves. I am on terrestrial TV defending my European title and top of the bill – what more is there?”
Going to watch the Olympics this ­summer, where Anthony Joshua, Luke Campbell and Nicola Adams matched his gold medal, gave DeGale the hunger to reach the top again.
“I have no regrets about going pro,” he said. “I had my time, this was their time and they did fantastically.
“My advice to the medallists would be take your time before deciding what you want to do. And get a good team around you that you trust. There are lots of people who will tell you to do the wrong thing.”

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 27 Sep 2012

I hope Channel Five put the Lenny Daws fight on in it's entirety. That's the fight I want to see, not divvy DeGale.

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 27 Sep 2012

BoxingFan, on 27 September 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

I hope Channel Five put the Lenny Daws fight on in it's entirety. That's the fight I want to see, not divvy DeGale.

Maybe I should bump that poll. I don't think people are taking it seriously.

DG.'s Photo DG. 27 Sep 2012

watson748, on 27 September 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

:D

I CAN HEAR SHITMANHATTON CRYING INTO HIS 'JAMES DEGALE' PILLOW AND DUVET SET.

:hot_ass_Watson:

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 27 Sep 2012

Groves is old news now.

It's onwards & upwards to a world title.

hitman_hatton1, on 27 September 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

Groves is old news now.

It's onwards & upwards to a world title.
Like Prescott with Khan or Peterson with Khan or Garcia with Khan and now its Groves with DeGale. I can't keep up with which opponents are old news with you. :rolleyes:

Definite pattern forming though :D

the rematch ain't gonna come round for a little while yet.

groves is warren.

degale is meaty mick.

degale needs to get fighting again after being kept in semi retirement due to issues with warren. :rolleyes:

watson748, on 27 September 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Like Prescott with Khan or Peterson with Khan or Garcia with Khan and now its Groves with DeGale. I can't keep up with which opponents are old news with you. :rolleyes:

Definite pattern forming though :D

all i ever said regarding a prescott rematch is that i wasn't interested while khan was winning and defending world title.

mainly cos prescott weren't good enough to earn title shots cos he kept losing.

now khan ain't go no titles and needs a comeback opponent i'm not against the fight. :rolleyes:

as for peterson i was all for that fight taking place until peterson blew it. :horse:

hitman_hatton1, on 27 September 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

the rematch ain't gonna come round for a little while yet.

groves is warren.

degale is meaty mick.

degale needs to get fighting again after being kept in semi retirement due to issues with warren. :rolleyes:

I understand that but its still all DeGales fault that hes been inactive. All his daft demands and prima-donna actions. The idiot was living in a fantasy land which warren wasn't about to pay for. Having said that it was warren that fueled his ego and falsely primed his bank account and future earning in the first place.

hitman_hatton1, on 27 September 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

all i ever said regarding a prescott rematch is that i wasn't interested while khan was winning and defending world title.

mainly cos prescott weren't good enough to earn title shots cos he kept losing.

now khan ain't go no titles and needs a comeback opponent i'm not against the fight. :rolleyes:

as for peterson i was all for that fight taking place until peterson blew it. :horse:

I was taking the piss but my point is still valid. You can't lose to someone and then simply claim to be the best in that weight category at any stage, especially with their (Groves DeGale) history.

Khan just looked like a plonker for his entire career after Prescott and it was only gullible yanks and naive fair weather fans who believed his hype train.

You must attempt to beat the guy who beat you if you ever want to make any kind of claim that you are the best.

watson748, on 27 September 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

You must attempt to beat the guy who beat you if you ever want to make any kind of claim that you are the best.

so even if that guys career who beat him goes down the dumper u wouldn't regard the fighter as top dog in the weight division.

so for u kostya tszyu's career post vince philips meant nothing did it. :rolleyes:

hitman_hatton1, on 27 September 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

so even if that guys career who beat him goes down the dumper u wouldn't regard the fighter as top dog in the weight division.

so for u kostya tszyu's career post vince philips meant nothing did it. :rolleyes:
I never said that.

If the guy is the same age or is ascending to the top at the same time as you, or is always there or there about, then imo yes, you have to make amends and avenge the defeat to prove that you can take on and beat all comers, IF...IF.... you are going to go about bragging that you are the best around as DeGale and Khan did and do.

watson748, on 27 September 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

I never said that.

If the guy is the same age or is ascending to the top at the same time as you, or is always there or there about, then imo yes, you have to make amends and avenge the defeat to prove that you can take on and beat all comers, IF...IF.... you are going to go about bragging that you are the best around as DeGale and Khan did and do.

so are u saying tszyu's career as widely regarded top dog at 140 meant nothing.

philips was campaigning in that division thru the years tszyu was champion. :rolleyes:

hitman_hatton1, on 27 September 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

so are u saying tszyu's career as widely regarded top dog at 140 meant nothing.

philips was campaigning in that division thru the years tszyu was as champion. :rolleyes:
I didn't say that either :rolleyes:

Was Kosta calling himself the greatest ever in that division?

DeGale still thinks hes better than Groves even although hes lost to him twice and Khan still thought he was the best at 135 after Prescott. Thats the difference.

watson748, on 27 September 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I didn't say that either :rolleyes:

Was Kosta calling himself the greatest ever in that division?

DeGale still thinks hes better than Groves even although hes lost to him twice and Khan still thought he was the best at 135 after Prescott. Thats the difference.

forget quotes and soundbites.

1 loss does not define a career.

i'm not saying it means nothing.

but it doesn't define it.

:D