←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Scott Harrison Ready For Ricky Burns Insis...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 27 Sep 2012

Harrison ready for Burns insists dad

by Douglas Dickie, Rutherglen Reformer

SCOTT Harrison is ready for a world title bout with countryman, Ricky Burns, his father and trainer, Peter, has insisted.

The Cambuslang boxer took the next step of his comeback on Saturday night at Glasgow’s SECC with a points win in his six round fight with Englishman Joe Elfidh,

The fight was part of the undercard to Burns spectacular defence of his WBO world lightweight title over Kevin Mitchell.

Some observers have suggested the nature of Burns’s win has put a dent in Scott’s hopes of facing him in a title fight before the end of the year, with one newspaper claiming the fight won’t happen before April next year.

But Peter insists his son is ready and focussed on becoming a world champion again.

And he told the Reformer the Harrison camp had been left frustrated by the amount of time it is taking to clinch a title shot.

He said “You have got to remember who Scott has boxed in the past, the likes of Medina and McCulloch, they are top-class fighters, so why does Scott have to wait?

“How long does he have to keep boxing to get experience? He doesn’t need experience, he has plenty of it.

“We want a championship fight, so yes, it is frustrating.

“Burns has never fought anyone of the calibre Scott has. Good on him, he’s doing well and getting better with every fight but he’s not fighting in the same league as Scott has.

“It’s been mentioned again about some time in December. It will happen.”

Peter also hit back at Scott’s critics who described his victory over Elfidh as a “slog”.

Scott (35) looked on his way to an early finish when he knocked the Harworth fighter - who was late replacement for Nicaraguan Miguel Aguilar - to the canvas in the first round.

But he had to settle for a points victory over the 32-year-old.

Peter insists Elfidh’s spoiling tactics had hampered Scott: “If Scott had knocked him out everyone would have said it was too easy for him, so he can’t win.

“The guy was out to survive and kept moving away. It wasn’t an easy fight given his tactics, it made it awkward.

“It was only a six-round fight. If it had gone to eight rounds, he (Elfidh) would not have lasted.

“I was happy to see how fit Scott was considering he had to chase his opponent for six rounds.

“It’s good to get another contest under his belt, but we don’t want more fights like this, we want the big fight against Burns.”

Scott started his comeback after seven years out the ring in June with a win over Hungarian teenager Gyorgy Mizsei Junior.
Quote

watson748's Photo watson748 27 Sep 2012

delusional.
Quote