←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Canelo, New Ring Sensation

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 01 Oct 2012

Canelo, new ring sensation
By Alejandro Del Rosario | Manilastandardtoday.com

If Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather still cannot come to terms for the megabucks fight everyone wants to happen, there are other talented fighters out there in the welterweight and super welterweight divisions.

Rising stars include Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Jesse Vargas, both undefeated. Alvarez recently stopped Josesito Lopez, who broke the jaw of Victor Ortiz for a stunning stoppage in the ninth round. But Lopez was no match for the punching power of Alvarez, who TKO’d him in the fifth round.

Alvarez is the World Boxing Council super welterweight title holder. Young with the matinee idol looks, he’s called “Canelo” because of his cinnamon colored hair. But more than his good looks, Alvarez can fight and he wants to step up against Mayweather. But Floyd might only want to duel Canelo with swords at 10 paces.

The new Mexican ring sensation could fill the void left by Oscar Del La Hoya and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. Alvarez looms as the new golden boy of boxing, specially after Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. got whipped recently by Argentina’s  Sergio Martinez in  La Vegas.

Alvarez started fighting at the age of 15 and has now racked up a 41 –win, no-loss, one-draw record, with 20 of his triumphs coming by either knockout or stoppage.

How would Pacquiao measure up against Alvarez? I would advise Manny to not even try. Canelo is much too strong, too big and too young at 20. Maybe three years ago when at Pacquiao’s peak, he whupped bigger and heavier guys like De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito. Even if Manny moves up several pounds , Alvarez would still be stepping into the right as a middleweight  on fight night.

With another roadblock removed after the settlement of the defamation suit against Mayweather for claiming Manny uses performance-enhancing drugs, the much-awaited match might still happen. Pacquiao has even agreed to take drug tests before, on the day of and after the fight.

Pacquiao has even accepted a lower 45-55 share of the prize money as a sweetener to lure Mayweather into the ring. So, what’s keeping Floyd?

The last sticking point seems to be the pay-per-view profit. Mayweather, not nicknamed “Money” for nothing, wants the whole pot, claiming he’s the bigger draw and undefeated. We don’t see Manny giving in to Floyd on this. So greed is the gridlock only Mayweather has a key to.

Ring experts see Pacquiao’s punching power as waning. They see his last two fights against Marquez via a majority decision and a controversial loss to Timothy Bradley as signs of diminished skill. Manny wants to regain the form that earned him unprecedented world titles in eight divisions. Trainer Freddie Roach says his ward is training for the Dec. 8 fight with Marquez like the hungry fighter he used to be. Let’s hope it’s not all hype. Manny must more than win against Marquez in their quartet at the MGM Grand Arena. Another lackluster and controversial win isn’t going to help the Mayweather-Pacquiao match at the gate. If it happens.

Pacquiao and Mayweather are aging ring warriors. Manny is 33 and Mayweather is pushing 38, If they don’t make the match, they will both be irrelevant and no longer bankable  at the box office.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 01 Oct 2012

Who is paying these guys to write this stuff?

No one wants to see Floyd fight Saul.

Alvarez is a good young fighter.

But honestly, this isn't the fight we want to see Floyd in.

Less giving Floyd an out and more pressure on him to fight Manny please. Before one or both of them is too far gone for it to mean anything.

crakaveli's Photo crakaveli 01 Oct 2012

9secondko, on 01 October 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Who is paying these guys to write this stuff?

No one wants to see Floyd fight Saul.

Alvarez is a good young fighter.

But honestly, this isn't the fight we want to see Floyd in.

Less giving Floyd an out and more pressure on him to fight Manny please. Before one or both of them is too far gone for it to mean anything.

I'd rather see flloyd alvarez at this point. They missed the boat on mayweather pacquiao and now it's pretty much pointless

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 01 Oct 2012

crakaveli, on 01 October 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'd rather see flloyd alvarez at this point. They missed the boat on mayweather pacquiao and now it's pretty much pointless

It's not pointless right now.

It would be if another year went by.

And Pacquaio - Floyd is a much better and more meaningful fight than Floyd vs. Saul.

Either Floyd dominates him adn gets credit for it, or it's another Bradley situation.

Antonious's Photo Antonious 01 Oct 2012

Canelo/Cotto first before any mayweather talk.

Antonious's Photo Antonious 01 Oct 2012

Floyd pushing 38? I don't think so.

linkpeso's Photo linkpeso 01 Oct 2012

Antonious, on 01 October 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

He's 35.  And if PAC and May dont fight then why not.  I'd watch.

DePonce's Photo DePonce 01 Oct 2012

I'd rather Floyd go for Martinez. Don't see Canelo or Pacquiao as a threat to Floyd.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 01 Oct 2012

Antonious, on 01 October 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

This moron also said Canelo is 20.  The guy is 22, ffs.

crafty's Photo crafty 02 Oct 2012

9secondko, on 01 October 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

And Pacquaio - Floyd is a much better and more meaningful fight than Floyd vs. Saul.

Either Floyd dominates him adn gets credit for it, or it's another Bradley situation.
PAC is a lot more proven and more skilled than Canelo and would probably give Floyd a better fight.

crakaveli's Photo crakaveli 02 Oct 2012

crafty, on 02 October 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

PAC is a lot more proven and more skilled than Canelo and would probably give Floyd a better fight.

A fighter who has looked less than impressive in his last two outing who is essentially a light welter and on the slide could give flloyd more of a challenge than a young undefeated light middleweight? I disagree

2/3 years ago that explosive pacquiao had a real chance of beating flloyd now he gets dominated badly, Bradley was out boxing him at the end of their last fight flloyd would punish him. I'm not saying flloyd is in decline too but he never relied on explosiveness which pac just doesn't have anymore

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 02 Oct 2012

9secondko, on 01 October 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Which it will.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 02 Oct 2012

BoxingFan, on 02 October 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

Which it will.

Wouldn't doubt it.

But until then, Floyd needs to fight his biggest threat and easily the #1 guy people are clamping for before any talk of Saul gets going.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 02 Oct 2012

crakaveli, on 02 October 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

A fighter who has looked less than impressive in his last two outing who is essentially a light welter and on the slide could give flloyd more of a challenge than a young undefeated light middleweight? I disagree

2/3 years ago that explosive pacquiao had a real chance of beating flloyd now he gets dominated badly, Bradley was out boxing him at the end of their last fight flloyd would punish him. I'm not saying flloyd is in decline too but he never relied on explosiveness which pac just doesn't have anymore

Actually PAC looked awesome in dominating Bradley.

A robbery doesn't change that.

And I'd take a heredia-powered jmm over Canelo at 147, which is where the PAC-Floyd fight takes place if it happens.

crakaveli's Photo crakaveli 02 Oct 2012

9secondko, on 02 October 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

Actually PAC looked awesome in dominating Bradley.

A robbery doesn't change that.

And I'd take a heredia-powered jmm over Canelo at 147, which is where the PAC-Floyd fight takes place if it happens.

Awesome is an overstatement, pac definitely won but Bradley took most of the later rounds and I would expect him to win a rematch

JMM would beat Alvarez at 147 seeing as he fights at 154, a bit like dawson at 168 (not saying he'd definitely won at 175 but I doubt he would have wilted like he did)