←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Manny Pacquiao Booked For April Fight

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 03 Oct 2012

Pacquiao Booked For April Fight

By NICK GIONGCO
October 3, 2012

MANILA, Philippines — Bob Arum has already booked Manny Pacquiao a fight next year provided that he gets past Juan Manuel Marquez on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas, a sign that the Filipino is not retiring anytime soon.

“I have talked with Manny and we agreed to hold his fight (in 2013) on April 20,” Arum told the Bulletin on Wednesday.

Arum said that date is perfect since it will come at a time after March Madness, the US NCAA college basketball finals that takes place in March and just before the May 2013 elections.

Arum said he is not looking too far ahead because Marquez is going to be a very tough challenge for Pacquiao, who is hoping to put an end to the controversy over his first three matches with the Mexican counter-puncher.

Even though Pacquiao had won two of three bouts, the first having ended on a split draw in 2004, ringsiders believe the Marquez had actually been robbed each time.

Pacquiao, who turns 34 on Dec. 17, wants to finally silence his critics, while the 39-year-old Marquez is out to prove that he has Pacquiao’s number with a convincing stoppage win in this fourth fight.

Arum believes there won’t be a fifth chapter to one of boxing’s most storied rivalry.

“Neither fighter wants a fifth fight,” said the 80-year-old Hall of Fame promoter.

Pacquiao is set to leave for training in the US and he has already filed his certificate of candidacy as congressman of Sarangani so he can fully concentrate on his eight-week buildup under Freddie Roach.

Marquez, meanwhile, is in the early stages of his preparation, showing up at the Romanza Gym in Mexico City in the afternoon after doing his morning workout in the mountains of Toluca that includes such primitive methods like wood-chopping.

From what Marquez has been showing, he is out to ruin Pacquiao and Arum’s plans next year.
Quote

Undisputed's Photo Undisputed 03 Oct 2012

The Marquez win isn't guaranteed soooooo....
Quote

Danko's Photo Danko 03 Oct 2012

Who cares? Pac is over
Quote

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 03 Oct 2012

 Undisputed, on 03 October 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

The Marquez win isn't guaranteed soooooo....
That won't keep him from fighting in April.
Quote

Undisputed's Photo Undisputed 03 Oct 2012

 Vatoloco, on 03 October 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

That won't keep him from fighting in April.

Indeed. In terms of meaningful fights, it probably will have no bearing on that either.
Quote

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 03 Oct 2012

 Undisputed, on 03 October 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

Indeed. In terms of meaningful fights, it probably will have no bearing on that either.
Probably not.
Quote

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 03 Oct 2012

 YouNiggazWearPanties, on 03 October 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

And lemme guess: Floyd Mayweather isnt on their radar...?

They wont mention Floyd at all till they're on the press tour to fight another guy...then, they'll say they agree to 35% of the pot and that "they just dont know why floyd wont fight them".  This will result in floyd being called scared by skip bayless.  And a legion of manny lovers will use this as further evidence floyd is a coward.
Why does anyone still care if this fight happens or not?  I'm hoping they retire soon so this nonsense about them not fighting each other will stop.
Quote

shove-aloe's Photo shove-aloe 03 Oct 2012

 Vatoloco, on 03 October 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Why does anyone still care if this fight happens or not?  I'm hoping they retire soon so this nonsense about them not fighting each other will stop.

^
this
Quote

Undisputed's Photo Undisputed 03 Oct 2012

 Vatoloco, on 03 October 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Why does anyone still care if this fight happens or not?  I'm hoping they retire soon so this nonsense about them not fighting each other will stop.

Agreed. I hope Marquez wins so we can further drive a nail into the Mayweather/Pac fight-that-never-was coffin.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 03 Oct 2012

Bob's throwing a 4/20 party!

If Pac loses to JMM, Floyd will probably be ready to finally fight him.
Quote

rayajr's Photo rayajr 03 Oct 2012

 johnnyblaze, on 03 October 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

Bob's throwing a 4/20 party!

If Pac loses to JMM, Floyd will probably be ready to finally fight him.
:lol:  

My early guess is JMM 5 or Bradley again on 4/20.
Quote

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 03 Oct 2012

 YouNiggazWearPanties, on 03 October 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Despite the fact that a handful of true, hard core boxing fans claim to be no longer interested in this fight, Its still the biggest fight in the sport.  And will probably be the highest grossing boxing event of all time.  

I definitely wanna see this fight.  You guys can all claim you're over it, or whatever, but if they signed this fight for April; there'd be hundreds of threads about it, a lot more traffic to this website and a genuine buzz in the Real World.  Its a big event and it'll be a fun, entertaining night.  

The 99.999% of the population that doesnt follow boxing in a serious way is still interested in this fight and it will turn into the biggest hype machine ever.  Makes sense that those of us who think about boxing everyday are tired of it, but we are part of an incredibly small minority.
It would've been the highest grossing fight had it happened 3 years ago.  I don't care for this fight.  If it happens, yeah I'll watch it, but I won't be excited for it.
Quote

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 03 Oct 2012

 YouNiggazWearPanties, on 03 October 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

And lemme guess: Floyd Mayweather isnt on their radar...?

They wont mention Floyd at all till they're on the press tour to fight another guy...then, they'll say they agree to 35% of the pot and that "they just dont know why floyd wont fight them".  This will result in floyd being called scared by skip bayless.  And a legion of manny lovers will use this as further evidence floyd is a coward.

I'll say you might have a point, if and only if, Mayweather waits on the results of Manny/Marquez to announce the fight.  Based on his history, he will announce his opponent the day of the fight, which makes it impossible to make the Manny/Mayweather fight.
Quote

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 03 Oct 2012

 YouNiggazWearPanties, on 03 October 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Despite the fact that a handful of true, hard core boxing fans claim to be no longer interested in this fight, Its still the biggest fight in the sport.  And will probably be the highest grossing boxing event of all time.  

I definitely wanna see this fight.  You guys can all claim you're over it, or whatever, but if they signed this fight for April; there'd be hundreds of threads about it, a lot more traffic to this website and a genuine buzz in the Real World.  Its a big event and it'll be a fun, entertaining night.  

The 99.999% of the population that doesnt follow boxing in a serious way is still interested in this fight and it will turn into the biggest hype machine ever.  Makes sense that those of us who think about boxing everyday are tired of it, but we are part of an incredibly small minority.
But what if Pac loses again?  Will it still be be the highest grossing fight ever?  Will 99.999% still want to watch?  Highly doubtful.
Quote

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 03 Oct 2012

Makes sense.

Has to have something.

Floyd may or may not want to fight.

If he does, it will work out.

Funny how Floyd scheduled a date last year and everyone tried to say nanny was fleeing if he didn't sign on Floyd's date.

Now it's the same thing reversed. But Floyd still gets out of it.

Manny will fight either Floyd or Bradley on that date most likely.

And if Floyd doesn't want to then he just doesn't want to.

Floyd had his annual fight with Cotto.

April is perfect for him to face manny.
Quote