←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Tommy Coyle Says Pal Gary Sykes Will Be Ri...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 04 Oct 2012

Hull lightweight Tommy Coyle says pal Gary Sykes will be ring 'enemy' for Liverpool fight

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Hull Daily Mail

TOMMY Coyle says he'll have no problem putting friendship to one side when he faces Gary Sykes in the Prizefighter competition this Saturday.

The 23-year-old Hull lightweight is taking part in the latest edition of the Sky Television competition.

The event, at Liverpool's Olympia, will see Coyle and his sparring partner Sykes meet in the quarter-finals in a three-round contest, with the winner progressing to the semi-finals and possible final later that evening.

Former British champion Sykes starts the bout as favourite against the undefeated Coyle, with the pair having boxed countless times before at training.

"We know each other really well and Gary is a friend of mine but when I get in the ring on Saturday I'm going to box him like he's stolen from me," Coyle told the Mail.

"We'll be friends up to the fight and straight after, but when I step in the ring it's all about getting business done and I'm only thinking about beating him up to get to the next round."

Coyle's fight against Sykes will be the fourth quarter-final, giving the winner the least amount of time to prepare for the semi-finals and subsequent final.

Should Coyle win he faces a potential match-up with another former British champion Anthony Crolla in the semi-finals before a possible match-up with favourite Derry Matthews in the final.