←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Luke Wilton Speaks - Up For Ulster Hall Clash

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 04 Oct 2012

Luke Wilton up for Ulster Hall clash

newsletter.co.uk

Published on Thursday 4 October 2012

LUKE Wilton will look to put a show on at the Ulster Hall on October 12 after his bid to fight for the WBC International title fell through at the final hurdle.

The number one ranked flyweight in Britain has been left gutted and frustrated after several fighters pulled out of the contest or failed to make the WBC’s criteria for the clash.

But Wilton - who has won 12 of his 15 fights - says he still intends to put on a show at the famous Belfast venue.

“The title fight fell through and I am gutted that happened - but you just have to get on with it.

“I only heard on Tuesday but at least I am getting a fight, getting a few rounds under my belt and getting another win on my record.

“These things happen in professional boxing and you just have to get on with it. I am up for the challenge,” he added.

Victory at the Ulster Hall will keep Wilton on track for a crack at a title as he has been offered the chance to face the winner of the British and Commonwealth title fight between Chris Edwards and Kevin Satchell.

“Yes, if they keep their word I will be fighting the winner. No-matter who wins that fight I would relish and love the chance to fight for a British title.

“It was always a dream of mine to fight for a British title and if I keep winning I will get that chance.

“The British belt is the one I have always wanted and I want to win the title and defend it a few times - so I get to keep it,” he added.

And what are his thoughts on the clash between Edwards and Satchell.

“I keep changing my mind. When the fight was made I went for Edwards - but sometimes I think Satchell will win it.

“Edwards has the experience and he is like an old warhorse that just keeps going - but Satchell has youth on his side. But no matter what happens I would fancy my chances against whoever wins that fight.”

And the east Belfast fighter is looking forward to appearing at the world famous Ulster Hall.

“I fought there on the undercard of the Martin Lindsay British title fight and it is a great venue for boxing.

“It is a small compact hall and the crowd are right on top of the ring. I am looking forward to fighting there again. It should be good.”

And Wilton says preparation under trainer Bernardo Checa has gone well.

“Yes everything has gone well. I think I will be fighting an eight rounder on October 13 - but I am ready to fight a 15 rounder if need be,” laughed Wilton.

In a packed bill Ballyclare’s Willie Thompson will challenge Lee Murtagh for the Irish title, while Matthew Wilton, Marc McCullough, James Tennyson, Daniel McShane, Moses Matovu, Paul Moffett, Alec Bazza, Stevie Quinn Jnr and Paul Quinn will all appear.

Tickets can be purchased at the Ulster Hall and on 02890 489287.