←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Bad Boy Boxer Nader Hamdan Speaks - Vows T...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 04 Oct 2012

Bad boy boxer Nader Hamdan vows to clean up his act

Jamie Pandaram
The Daily Telegraph
October 05, 2012 12:00AM

AFTER witnessing the recent street riots involving Muslim youths, boxer Nader Hamdan has decided his trash-talk has to end even to the detriment of his career.

The man who once said he did not care for the Australian public in a pre-fight exchange, who yelled expletives and kicked the ring when he disagreed with the judges' decision, and who has taken the artform of baiting opponents to new levels in recent years, says he needs to be a better role model for disillusioned young Muslims.

"I spent the first eight years of my career not saying a word, I got to No.2 in the world and nobody knew me," said Hamdan (43-10-1, 18KO).

"So I started playing the bad guy, and all of a sudden I get lots of publicity, and people challenging me saying they want to beat me on behalf of the Australian public. I got a lot of notoriety, I got a world title shot out of trash-talking.
Digital Pass - $5 weekend papers

"But with the atmosphere in Sydney at this time, it's time for me to go back to being me. I have a teenage son, his friends and a lot of other kids their age look up to me. I don't want to set a bad example.

"I talk to a lot of kids, Muslim and non-Muslim.

"You don't get through to all of them, but you do get through to some, and that feels nice inside.

"The people who speak ill of this country, try going back to the country your parents came from and you'll run back faster than you've run before. We live in the best country, in the best city in the world, we need to appreciate that."

Hamdan, who was placed in juvenile detention aged 17 for snatching a policeman's gun during a brawl, turned his life around through boxing.

Tonight he attempts to become one of a handful of fighters to win Australian titles in three weight divisions when he takes on Cameroon-born Serge Yannick (14-2, 1KO) in Melbourne (live, FoxSports, 7pm) for the national super middleweight title.

Hamdan won the national light middleweight and middleweight titles in 2000. He has since lost two world title fights, against Anthony Mundine in 2008 and Robert Stieglitz in May.

TonyClifton's Photo TonyClifton 04 Oct 2012

Who?

Bourne's Photo Bourne 04 Oct 2012

View PostTonyClifton, on 04 October 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

Who?

exactly! :-D

bomani-d's Photo bomani-d 04 Oct 2012

View PostTonyClifton, on 04 October 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

Who?

#2 in the world?
uhhh, ok?

Knackers's Photo Knackers 05 Oct 2012

Nader "Lionheart" Hamdan represents all that's good about the sport of boxing.  Tough and gritty with a never-say-die attitude in the ring, and an absolute gentleman outside of it.

I'll never forget Hamdan's win as an underdog against Porky Lovett over 12 hard rounds in the worst conditions I've ever seen a prize fight contested in - some 40 degrees Celcius in the arena and above mid-40s under the lights. Don't know what the conversion is, but probably 110 Fahrenheit at a guess.

To me, I would rather be discussing the blue collar guys of the game than the silver spoon athletes like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Broner, Gamboa, et al, as it's these type who truly are the heart and soul of boxing.

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 05 Oct 2012

The guy has a shitty record as of late.  But I guess he's the Australian version of Gatti.   Gritty guy that people like win or lose

TonyClifton's Photo TonyClifton 06 Oct 2012

View PostKnackers, on 05 October 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

Nader "Lionheart" Hamdan represents all that's good about the sport of boxing.  Tough and gritty with a never-say-die attitude in the ring, and an absolute gentleman outside of it.

I'll never forget Hamdan's win as an underdog against Porky Lovett over 12 hard rounds in the worst conditions I've ever seen a prize fight contested in - some 40 degrees Celcius in the arena and above mid-40s under the lights. Don't know what the conversion is, but probably 110 Fahrenheit at a guess.

To me, I would rather be discussing the blue collar guys of the game than the silver spoon athletes like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Broner, Gamboa, et al, as it's these type who truly are the heart and soul of boxing.

Post a fight please