←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Frank Warren On Ricky Burns And Nathan Cle...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 05 Oct 2012

It’s time to get Clever

By FRANK WARREN

THIS week two world champions — Nathan Cleverly and Ricky Burns — got huge incentives to succeed in their pending title defences this year.

Victories will lift the Celts into unification matches next year that will see both their global profile and earning power explode.

Welsh ace Cleverly has looked a top pedigree prizefighter while racing to 24 consecutive wins and the British, Commonwealth, European and WBO light-heavyweight titles.

He has successfully defended his crown on three occasions but it’s been tough to entice the biggest names in the division to box him.

Nathan can only defend against fighters listed by WBO. Sadly some don’t appeal at the box office.

Nathan was due to box in Cardiff on October 27 but now has the opportunity to crack the American market when he defends his WBO Crown on Saturday November 10.

It is a fantastic chance for Nathan to showcase his skills in front of the fans and media in the US.

He is now close to becoming the full package and next year could be in big unification fights against WBA ruler Beibut Shumenov or IBF king Tavoris Cloud.

Scot star Burns will also get a chance to earn top dollar if he wins the third defence of his WBO lightweight title when he heads the bill on my pre-Christmas bash at the ExCel on December 15.

Provided he wins, I have an understanding with Golden Boy for him to lock horns with white hot US hope Adrien Broner early next year.

watson748's Photo watson748 05 Oct 2012

View PostGlax0r, on 05 October 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

Scot star Burns will also get a chance to earn top dollar if he wins the third defence of his WBO lightweight title when he heads the bill on my pre-Christmas bash at the ExCel on December 15.

Provided he wins, I have an understanding with Golden Boy for him to lock horns with white hot US hope Adrien Broner early next year.

Hope that 'understanding' is more than just a friendly "Hey, do you know what would be a good match up?....."

Menty's Photo Menty 06 Oct 2012

"next year Shumenov" :lol: I thought he was lining up Shumenov 12 months ago......

stevieb_8006's Photo stevieb_8006 06 Oct 2012

Interesting that he feels he needs to justify their poor opposition. Usually it's more a case of him trying to fool the public into believing they r a genuine threat

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 06 Oct 2012

the clev match is rubbish.

much better guys out there.

plenty of non title holders worthy of a chance over this guy.

and warren wouldn't have to pay huge sums to bring em over.

Menty's Photo Menty 07 Oct 2012

View Posthitman_hatton1, on 06 October 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

the clev match is rubbish.

much better guys out there.

plenty of non title holders worthy of a chance over this guy.

and warren wouldn't have to pay huge sums to bring em over.

Yup, the yanks will be well impressed when Cleverly bowls over this latest 'challenger', and Warren can continue to claim he offered Froch, Hopkins, Cloud, Ward, Dawson, Klitschko etc the fight and they all ran....