←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Sheffield’s Knockout Kell Brook Wins Title...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 20 Oct 2012

Sheffield’s knockout Brook wins title shot
Published on Sunday 21 October 2012 00:10

A KNOCKOUT performance from Sheffield’s Kell Brook earned him a world title shot after he finished Argentinian Hector Saldivia in three rounds at the Motorpoint Arena, writes Graham Walker.

More than 6,000 fight fans cheered as a right hook put the South American on the canvas in the first round.

Brook, aged 26, with an impressive new physique, looked like finishing it in the second and left Saldivia badly marked under his right eye.

But the local boy stepped up another gear in the third round and dropped his opponent again - stopping the fight after just 28-seconds.

Doncaster’s Jamie McDonnell will fight for the IBF world bantamweight title next year after he won his undercard fight, finding a way to break down a tough-as-teak Darwin Zamora.

See The Star on Monday for full reports, reaction and more.

Brook is now undefeated in 29 fights and his next will be for the IBF world welterweight title early next year - with Randall Bailey or Devon Alexander lying in wait.

Brook answered all the questions in the wake of a harder-than-expected win over Carson Jones in July.

He looked tremendously sharp, picked his powerful punches well and dominated the fight from the first bell.

Afterwards he praised his new team of nutritionists who have helped to enhance his physique and win the world title eliminator.

Brook and his team decided corners could no longer be cut, with a new, punishing training regime.

And like Arnold Schwarzenegger’s unstoppable Terminator, Kell admitted: “We’re turning into a machine.”

Celebrating his win, Brook told Sky Sports: I went back to the drawing board and brought in a nutritionist. I brought in a team and did the hard work.

“ I was feeling good in the changing room. i knew I was bang on to get the result.

“Everything has been by numbers and we were hitting those numbers.

“When you get to this level you can’t mess about so we brought in people to get the job done.”

He’s next expected to fight for the world title early next year. But he’s also got Amir Khan in his sights.

He told Sky Sports: “I want to take Khan ‘s chin straight off and destroy him.

“I want to keep filling arenas out and bring the fights back home.”

Brook trainer Dominic Ingle and promoter Eddie Hearn acknowledge the style of their fighter’s victory over Saldivia, a battle-hardened opponent who had knocked out more people than Brook has faced to date.

Ingle said: We always knew Kell was capable and in three rounds he totally destroyed Saldivia.”

Hearn said: “I want to thank the Sheffield public for their support. This guy is going to be one of the biggest stars boxing as ever had in this country.

“The fight people want to see is against Amir Khan and we’ll have no problem beating him in the shape Kell is in. We’re ready now. We’ve done the apprenticeship and we’re ready for a world title.”

This showing will calm any fears borne out of the Jones fight and also helps vindicate his decision to enter a brutal 12-week training camp which has seen him develop the new look he sported tonight.

He has spent the build-up hollering from the rooftops of the Steel City that he is the man to succeed Naseem Hamed as a world champion from Sheffield, and he stormed into the ring riding the crest of a wave generated by a near-capacity crowd at the Motorpoint Arena.

Brook looked desperate to prove his new credentials, fizzing into his stride with a leading left, with Saldivia looking loose early on. His lack of a defence would cost him too, with Brook teeing up a right that floored him for a count of eight.

He then had Saldivia wobbling with a right, before getting him in trouble again at the start of the second, unleashing a left-right-left reel against the ropes. He was then warned for use of the elbow, though, and Saldivia, who has gone off early before, went on the attack, winding up behind a right hand before the bell rang.

That suggested the 28-year-old was in it for the long haul, but Brook put that to bed early after his rest in the corner, finding Saldivia wide open and putting him down with a venomous jab that he could not recover from.”
Quote

Menty's Photo Menty 21 Oct 2012

Expect a much sterner test for Brook when he steps up than the pitiful Saldivia - just how did this guy justify getting into an eliminator? :rolleyes:
Quote

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 21 Oct 2012

 Menty, on 21 October 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

Expect a much sterner test for Brook when he steps up than the pitiful Saldivia - just how did this guy justify getting into an eliminator? :rolleyes:
It's boxing... :sleep:
Quote

crakaveli's Photo crakaveli 21 Oct 2012

 Menty, on 21 October 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

Expect a much sterner test for Brook when he steps up than the pitiful Saldivia - just how did this guy justify getting into an eliminator? :rolleyes:

just watched the fight and it was a strange one.. the knockout looked like something out of a kimbo slice fight, either the fix was in or the guy just flat out quit (I don't really care i needed it to make my money :D )

i think alexander will be a good fight for brook, he has a good lead right which should serve him well against a southpaw. Alexander can be frustrated and outboxed but brooks awkward style could make him a bit more vulnerable to alexanders offense. If i had to make a prediction I would say brook takes a close decision, it all depends where it is because alexander seems to get the benefit of the doubt in close fights ...
Quote

le_fraise's Photo le_fraise 21 Oct 2012

 crakaveli, on 21 October 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

just watched the fight and it was a strange one.. the knockout looked like something out of a kimbo slice fight, either the fix was in or the guy just flat out quit (I don't really care i needed it to make my money :D )

i think alexander will be a good fight for brook, he has a good lead right which should serve him well against a southpaw. Alexander can be frustrated and outboxed but brooks awkward style could make him a bit more vulnerable to alexanders offense. If i had to make a prediction I would say brook takes a close decision, it all depends where it is because alexander seems to get the benefit of the doubt in close fights ...

Wouldn't be too surprised if this fight gets made in the states. My prediction would be Alexander quitting on his stool after a one-sided 8 rounds. Kell won't want this one going to the scorecards.
Quote

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 21 Oct 2012

 le_fraise, on 21 October 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

Wouldn't be too surprised if this fight gets made in the states. My prediction would be Alexander quitting on his stool after a one-sided 8 rounds. Kell won't want this one going to the scorecards.

i expect a 12 rd fight if those 2 get it on.

don't rule brook out.

he's certainly a live dog.

but alexander would be my pick on pts. :(
Quote

DG.'s Photo DG. 21 Oct 2012

BROOK IS FOR REAL!

I HOPE HE GETS TO FIGHT HATTON AND KHAN AND SMASHED BOTH THEIR ASSES IN, NOT LITERALLY, ALTHOUGH I KNOW BFAT DREAMS OF THIS.
Quote

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 21 Oct 2012

They'll have to come up with the dough if they want Alexander to come to the UK, if they really want the title and are confident in getting it then a trip Stateside may have to happen.  

By the sounds of it Hearn is talking as if the fight is happening in the UK, Eddie ain't got a fucking clue to be honest but he's learning and he'll soon find out that if you want the title then sometimes you have to travel to get it.  

I think Brook falls short against Alexander.
Quote

crakaveli's Photo crakaveli 21 Oct 2012

 ROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 21 October 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

They'll have to come up with the dough if they want Alexander to come to the UK, if they really want the title and are confident in getting it then a trip Stateside may have to happen.  

By the sounds of it Hearn is talking as if the fight is happening in the UK, Eddie ain't got a fucking clue to be honest but he's learning and he'll soon find out that if you want the title then sometimes you have to travel to get it.  

I think Brook falls short against Alexander.

I know brook hasn't been in with the quality of fighters Alexander has, but I think Alexander is quite average, I thought kotelnik beat him
Quote

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 21 Oct 2012

 crakaveli, on 21 October 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

I know brook hasn't been in with the quality of fighters Alexander has, but I think Alexander is quite average, I thought kotelnik beat him

Not arguing with you on that point, but whilst Brook hasn't fought anyone he's manage to look quite average himself.
Quote

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 22 Oct 2012

 ROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 21 October 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

They'll have to come up with the dough if they want Alexander to come to the UK, if they really want the title and are confident in getting it then a trip Stateside may have to happen.  

By the sounds of it Hearn is talking as if the fight is happening in the UK, Eddie ain't got a fucking clue to be honest but he's learning and he'll soon find out that if you want the title then sometimes you have to travel to get it.  

I think Brook falls short against Alexander.

bet hearn wins the purse bid for it. :D
Quote

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 22 Oct 2012

 The_Ikon, on 21 October 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

It's boxing... :sleep:

:lol:
Quote

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 22 Oct 2012

Brook was in the Metro today saying he'd delay the title shot if he could get a fight with Amir Khan.  And that one of the Sheffield football clubs, I forget which one, is interested in staging the fight.

As Amir has a fight booked in December, hates fighting in Britain because he has no fans there, I'm not overly optimistic the fight happens any time soon. The fact that it's Amir Khan we're talking about doesn't inspire me with confidence that the fight happens at all.
Quote

Menty's Photo Menty 22 Oct 2012

 The_Ikon, on 21 October 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

It's boxing... :sleep:

No shit sherlock. :rolleyes:
Quote