Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Bob Arum Denies Meeting With Roger Mayweather

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 07 Dec 2012

Bob Arum denies meeting with Roger Mayweather

By Lance Pugmire, LA Times

December 7, 2012, 1:04 p.m.
LAS VEGAS -- Did they or didn’t they?

Roger Mayweather, the trainer and uncle of unbeaten boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., told The Times on Thursday that he had casually discussed with promoter Bob Arum the idea of Timothy Bradley being Mayweather Jr.’s next opponent.
Arum denied on Friday that he had any such discussion with Roger Mayweather.

“I haven’t talked to him in over a year,” Arum said. “I wouldn’t talk to him about anything like that. No meeting ever existed. I never had a discussion with Roger Mayweather about anything to do with Floyd Mayweather. He made up a story.”

Asked about what Arum said, Roger Mayweather said Friday, “Oh, man, that’s a … lie. Why am I going to lie about that?”

Roger Mayweather explained he visited Arum’s Top Rank office in Las Vegas “about a month ago” to propose that the company promote an amateur fighter Mayweather has helped train.

He declined to identify the amateur fighter, and said he made no progress with the pitch, because the office conversation “went -- boom! -- to Bradley.”

At the office, Roger Mayweather said, he saw Arum and the trainer mentioned he thought the unbeaten Bradley from Palm Springs might be the best next opponent for his nephew.

Roger Mayweather only trains his nephew. He has nothing to do with arranging fights.

Arum formerly promoted Floyd Mayweather Jr., but the pair had a bitter parting and haven't worked together in more than six years, the animosity complicating repeated efforts to make a Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao super-fight.

“I said, 'My nephew could fight Bradley, and then Pacquiao,’ ” Roger Mayweather said. “I wasn’t there to negotiate. I wasn’t sent there by anyone. I just said, ‘Tim Bradley’s got a win over Pacquiao,’ and Arum said, ‘You know how that goes.’ ”

Bradley won a disputed split-decision victory over Pacquiao in June, then recovered from injuries in the fight. His wife, Monica, said Friday she hasn't been told of any progress for a Mayweather Jr. fight.

Arum said last week that he believed Bradley would be a better choice for Mayweather Jr. than the other leading candidate, Robert Guerrero, a southpaw.

Asked what Bradley is doing, and when he’ll fight next, Arum last week said, “I don’t know. Maybe he’s waiting for the brass ring.”
On Friday, however, Arum wouldn’t touch the topic.

lefty lou's Photo lefty lou 07 Dec 2012

i believe RM...he has no need to make up bullshit like that

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 07 Dec 2012

Arum is a known liar.  so is Roger.

But there is no reason for Roger to lie about this.

Arum did a snake deal with Bradley in the Pac fight, but the fans saw right through that, so he can't make the rematch.

He never really had a plan for Tim anyway, so he will cash him out versus Floyd and then make the Pac- Floyd fight.

Arum is Tim's promoter right? So where is the talking up of Bradley? where is the next fight of his being built up?

Feel bad for Tim though.  He got out of one bad promo situation and into another.  He got paid, but at what expense?  

It must feel bad being used like a pawn.

Arum, Oscar, Haymon, King, all these guys are liars, thieves and fools.

jermaine's Photo jermaine 07 Dec 2012

View Post9secondko, on 07 December 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Arum is a known liar.  so is Roger.

But there is no reason for Roger to lie about this.

Arum did a snake deal with Bradley in the Pac fight, but the fans saw right through that, so he can't make the rematch.

He never really had a plan for Tim anyway, so he will cash him out versus Floyd and then make the Pac- Floyd fight.

Arum is Tim's promoter right? So where is the talking up of Bradley? where is the next fight of his being built up?

Feel bad for Tim though.  He got out of one bad promo situation and into another.  He got paid, but at what expense?  

It must feel bad being used like a pawn.

Arum, Oscar, Haymon, King, all these guys are liars, thieves and fools.
It's starting to look like he jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. Arum seems almost dismissive of TB......The brass ring Bob, dayum

View Postjermaine, on 07 December 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

It's starting to look like he jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. Arum seems almost dismissive of TB......The brass ring Bob, dayum

Yep.

I feel bad for Bradley.  He is a great 140 lb. fighter.  Maybe the best right now.  

but he was not being promoted or looked after at all.

The guy is camera friendly, he looks like a champion, fights like a champion, ducks no one, believes in himself, seems to live clean, has a very cool family story, and has the makings of a next great thing in boxing (albeit the absence of truly shocking power, speed, or any amazingly outstanding asset may be something of a barrier to superstardom) in an Evander Holyfield type of way.

Instead, his fat slob previous promoter did nothing, so he runs to Bob who merely uses him in a Pacquaio power play.  Then sits him on the shelf only to feed him to yet another guy he shouldn't be fighting - Floyd.

The One great breakout success Bradley has is soured due to it's extremely controversial nature.  Instead of being able to ride a wave of glory to superstardom, bigger paydays, and prestige, he is all of a sudden "the bad guy" through a fault not his own.

This is the kind of thing that really makes boxing hard to take sometimes.

Between the promoters being disgusting punks, then you have this whole PED situation going on and no one can take anyone at face value anymore.  What's worse, the commissions seem to be OK with that.

Ok, stopping before tangent goes too far.

I just hope Bradley gets some justice for his career.  And I am not referring to him getting beat by pac again or by Floyd in the ring.  Now may be the time to make the Khan fight.

ethernine's Photo ethernine 07 Dec 2012

As i said a few months ago Pbf was gonna fight bradley!
And it will be  very very one sided. Foyld by Ref stoppage

View Postethernine, on 07 December 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

As i said a few months ago Pbf was gonna fight bradley!
And it will be  very very one sided. Foyld by Ref stoppage

I agree with the prediction.

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 07 Dec 2012

View Post9secondko, on 07 December 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Yep.

I feel bad for Bradley.  He is a great 140 lb. fighter.  Maybe the best right now.  

but he was not being promoted or looked after at all.

The guy is camera friendly, he looks like a champion, fights like a champion, ducks no one, believes in himself, seems to live clean, has a very cool family story, and has the makings of a next great thing in boxing (albeit the absence of truly shocking power, speed, or any amazingly outstanding asset may be something of a barrier to superstardom) in an Evander Holyfield type of way.

Instead, his fat slob previous promoter did nothing, so he runs to Bob who merely uses him in a Pacquaio power play.  Then sits him on the shelf only to feed him to yet another guy he shouldn't be fighting - Floyd.

The One great breakout success Bradley has is soured due to it's extremely controversial nature.  Instead of being able to ride a wave of glory to superstardom, bigger paydays, and prestige, he is all of a sudden "the bad guy" through a fault not his own.

This is the kind of thing that really makes boxing hard to take sometimes.

Between the promoters being disgusting punks, then you have this whole PED situation going on and no one can take anyone at face value anymore.  What's worse, the commissions seem to be OK with that.

Ok, stopping before tangent goes too far.

I just hope Bradley gets some justice for his career.  And I am not referring to him getting beat by pac again or by Floyd in the ring.  Now may be the time to make the Khan fight.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn a good post... wow

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 07 Dec 2012

Roger is probably telling the truth.....

View PostThe_Ikon, on 07 December 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn a good post... wow

in other words, just one you happen to agree with.

Chance's Photo Chance 07 Dec 2012

Poor Tim. Sign with Bob, get the two biggest fights of your life and make the money of your dreams, but you're just a pawn in the game of life buddy. Sorry your career turned to shit.

You guys are hilarious

rayajr's Photo rayajr 08 Dec 2012

View PostThe_Ikon, on 07 December 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

Roger is probably telling the truth.....
Roger is probably on crack. Floyd vs Bradley. Meh.

melonbag's Photo melonbag 08 Dec 2012

View PostChance, on 07 December 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

Poor Tim. Sign with Bob, get the two biggest fights of your life and make the money of your dreams, but you're just a pawn in the game of life buddy. Sorry your career turned to shit.

You guys are hilarious

Yes, I wish I could be mistreated by Arum like Bradley. Millions in the bank  and a win over Pac after only one year.  Not a household name but much better known than before.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 08 Dec 2012

View Postmelonbag, on 08 December 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Yes, I wish I could be mistreated by Arum like Bradley. Millions in the bank  and a win over Pac after only one year.  Not a household name but much better known than before.

That's your character.

But many fighters are in this for the glory.

Tim seems like one of those.

But you never know.

JennaJ's Photo JennaJ 08 Dec 2012

Roger told me before the Times....I tend to believe him