←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Sunderland Boxer Ready For Prizefighter -...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 17 Jan 2013

Sunderland boxer ready for Prizefighter

Published on Thursday 17 January 2013 12:05
SUNDERLAND’S Glenn Foot goes into the ring on Saturday determined to make his opponents pay for the pain of Christmas past!

The 25-year-old is one of eight boxers competing in the Sky-televised Betfair Prizefighter Welterweights III event.

And the Wearsider is so focused on the competition he describes as “the big break I’ve been waiting for”, that he trained on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Now he is hoping to make those hours of festive dedication pay off by winning an event which could do wonders for his profile in the business.

Foot’s manager, Phil Jeffries, told the Echo: “He’s in great shape and I fancy him to win it.

“I’ve been really impressed with his attitude since he got selected.

“Training’s gone very well and I don’t think he could have done any more.

“He even wanted to train on Christmas Day and Boxing Day so we went to our Olympian gym in Ryhope because the gym he usually goes to was closed on those days.”

Foot is due to go for the weigh-in in Wolverhampton tomorrow afternoon, ahead of the show which takes place at Wolverhampton Civic Hall on Saturday night.

Midlands trio Calum Cooper, Rob Hunt, Steven Pearce and Mancunian Mark Thompson were the final four contestants named from 20 possible contenders earlier this month – Foot having been named among the first four fighters.

Like seven-fight unbeaten Foot, opponents Cooper and Pearce have unblemished records which means there will be five unbeaten fighters going head-to-head on the night.

Foot, of Marley Pots, believes that he has the weapons to trouble any of his opponents on the night.

He told the Echo: “I think the Prizefighter format suits my style – all-action formats where you’ve got to come out on the night and deliver.

“I know I’m going to be in with some really good fighters, but I’m honestly looking forward to it and can’t wait.”

The Prizefighter Welterweights III kicks off the action tomorrow before bill-tipping Kal Yafai’s first taste of action in 2013 – a year that promises much for the Beijing Olympian who raced to 6-0 with five wins inside the distance in the second half of 2012 after only turning pro in July.

Tickets are available from matchroomboxing.com, or on 01277 359900, priced £40, with ringside and VIP tickets sold out.