←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Mundine Dominated By Geale In Ibf Middlewe...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 30 Jan 2013

Mundine dominated by Geale in IBF middleweight title fight

Daniel Geale has retained his middleweight title and raised questions over Anthony Mundine’s boxing future with a unanimous 12-round points win.

By Australian Times on 30 January, 2013 2:14 pm

IBF middleweight world champion Daniel Geale earned revenge for his only professional loss and raised questions over Anthony Mundine’s boxing future with a unanimous points win in a world title fight that started on Wednesday and ended on Thursday.
The fight in front of what appeared to be a full Sydney Entertainment Centre featured numerous quickfire inside exchanges between the two fast-handed fighters.

Ultimately Geale, 31, outworked 37-year old Mundine, who landed several right-hand shots during the bout, but couldn’t match the champion’s work rate.

Two judges scored it 117-111 and the other 116-112.

It was Geale’s fourth successful title defence and sets up the possibility of more unification bouts down the track.

Mundine was competitive but lacked the explosive advantage in speed that enabled him to beat opponents in his prime and it remains to be seen whether he can, or wants, to stay in a game he has graced for close to 13 years.

The packed crowd provided a stirring vocal backdrop as the two highly skilled fighters each strove to gain an advantage.

Geale was the first to land some shots, though Mundine did briefly back him up against the ropes and caught the champion with a good right to the head in the closing seconds of a cagey opening round.

Both men looked to assert themselves through the jab, but neither landed many scoring power punches in the second round.
American Robert Byrd, who was officiating in his 115th world title bout, twice cautioned Mundine for use of his head during the third round, in which Geale did well early and the challenger lifted near the end.

The fourth featured some exciting inside exchanges with both men scoring, though Geale had a slight edge in work rate.

Geale probably shaded the fifth and sixth rounds with greater punch volume, but Mundine still caught the champion occasionally with a right hand, without landing follow-up blows.

In round seven, Byrd warned Geale for punching to the back of the head.

Mundine got his supporters chanting his name with a good flurry in the eighth, which drew only a smile from the champion.
Geale started the ninth in strong fashion, but Mundine came on strong in the last minute.

The champion pressed the pace in the tenth and maintained his edge through to the end.

The two combatants for the main event didn’t step into the ring until after 11.10pm (AEDT), following a six-fight undercard, which produced just one inside the distance result.

The suggestion Mundine would snub the national anthem was averted, as it was performed before both men entered the ring.
As per usual for a big boxing bout, there was a stellar cast of sporting stars, administrators and politicians in attendance.
NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell, footballer-boxers Sonny Bill Williams and Quade Cooper, rugby league stars Todd Carney and Nathan Hindmarsh and FFA boss David Gallop were among the many notable figures. - AAP

True Fist's Photo True Fist 30 Jan 2013

Why do Aussies hold title fights in the middle of the week? Weird. I guess it's not really different from WNF, but just came off as strange given the circumstance of the first fight.

futurechamp's Photo futurechamp 31 Jan 2013

I just watched up until round 7 on YouTube ( the quality went to shit) and sadly my prediction of mundine being too much for geale was off  mundine is the better boxer for sure but geale had age and a hyper work rate  on his side best way I can describe it would be if George groves fought like PAC   Don't know where mundine goes from here he in no way was putting up a shameful performance which might keep other fighters away from him and I can see geale possibly getting a shot at Martinez after that performance

Knackers's Photo Knackers 31 Jan 2013

View PostTrue Fist, on 30 January 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

Why do Aussies hold title fights in the middle of the week? Weird. I guess it's not really different from WNF, but just came off as strange given the circumstance of the first fight.

I can't recall Wednesday night fights prior to Mundine turning pro. All of his fights throughout his career have been on PPV (I kid you not) and I have always suspected it's cheaper to telecast the fights mid-week (early in his career, Mundine also fought on Monday nights from memory).

I would love to see Geale v Martinez, I think it's a pick 'em fight.

Knackers's Photo Knackers 31 Jan 2013

View Postfuturechamp, on 31 January 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

I just watched up until round 7 on YouTube ( the quality went to shit) and sadly my prediction of mundine being too much for geale was off  mundine is the better boxer for sure but geale had age and a hyper work rate  on his side best way I can describe it would be if George groves fought like PAC   Don't know where mundine goes from here he in no way was putting up a shameful performance which might keep other fighters away from him and I can see geale possibly getting a shot at Martinez after that performance
Hard to see where Mundine goes from here. He has no domestic rivals (Danny Green's too big for him now) & no profile internationally. Unless he wants to take short money and be shipped in as an opponent, I can only really see retirement as an option.

Maybe he could face Sakio Bika to see where he's at?

RickS's Photo RickS 31 Jan 2013

View PostKnackers, on 31 January 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

Hard to see where Mundine goes from here. He has no domestic rivals (Danny Green's too big for him now) & no profile internationally. Unless he wants to take short money and be shipped in as an opponent, I can only really see retirement as an option.

Maybe he could face Sakio Bika to see where he's at?

Bika is fighting on the Broner-Rees undercard in a couple of weeks.

sleepwalker's Photo sleepwalker 31 Jan 2013

View PostKnackers, on 31 January 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

I can't recall Wednesday night fights prior to Mundine turning pro. All of his fights throughout his career have been on PPV (I kid you not) and I have always suspected it's cheaper to telecast the fights mid-week (early in his career, Mundine also fought on Monday nights from memory).

I would love to see Geale v Martinez, I think it's a pick 'em fight.
Geale once again amazed me with his workrate, he will be a handful for any of the other Middleweight Champions. IMO he would be too slick for Golovkin and agree that a Geale v Martinez fight would be a great matchup. My only concern would be that I haven't seen Geale in against many southpaws.

Menty's Photo Menty 01 Feb 2013

Eric T will be on suicide watch.

Knackers's Photo Knackers 01 Feb 2013

View PostRickS, on 31 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Bika is fighting on the Broner-Rees undercard in a couple of weeks.
No fight with Mundine in 2013 then, after Bika's annual excursion to the ring!

Jokes aside, do you know anything about the fella Bika's fighting? Is he a golden boy signing?

Mundine's claiming he was robbed.

Someone must've broken into his house while he was in the ring.

View Postsleepwalker, on 31 January 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Geale once again amazed me with his workrate, he will be a handful for any of the other Middleweight Champions. IMO he would be too slick for Golovkin and agree that a Geale v Martinez fight would be a great matchup. My only concern would be that I haven't seen Geale in against many southpaws.
Good point about southpaws. I'm not sure he's even faced one as a pro yet. If he has, it must've been early on in his career.

That said, with his extensive amateur experience and Jamie Pittman as a stablemate at Grange, I'm sure it wouldn't take him too much to adjust.

I was showing a guy at work some photos of the Geale-Mundine fight the other day. My mate was shocked at the way Geale looks. "He doesn't look like a boxer... He looks like he should be working in an ice-cream shop."

sleepwalker's Photo sleepwalker 01 Feb 2013

View PostKnackers, on 01 February 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

Good point about southpaws. I'm not sure he's even faced one as a pro yet. If he has, it must've been early on in his career.

That said, with his extensive amateur experience and Jamie Pittman as a stablemate at Grange, I'm sure it wouldn't take him too much to adjust.

I was showing a guy at work some photos of the Geale-Mundine fight the other day. My mate was shocked at the way Geale looks. "He doesn't look like a boxer... He looks like he should be working in an ice-cream shop."
  Hahaha, yeah he is a wolf in sheeps clothing that is for sure, he doesn't look threatening until he is gloved up and in your face giving you leather poisoning. The Pittman sparring would be great but he is nothing like Martinez apart from being a southpaw, I think that fight would provide the biggest challenge to Geale and I would love to see it happen.