←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Exclusive Interview: Herbie Hide Hits Back...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 25 Feb 2013

Exclusive interview: Former world boxing champion Herbie Hide hits back at drug and match fixing allegations

Tom Bristow, Evening News 24
Monday, February 25, 2013
6:35 AM

Former world boxing champion Herbie Hide today said he had never rigged boxing matches as he became embroiled in allegations surrounding cocaine and fight fixing.

Norfolk Police confirmed yesterday that officers were investigating drug allegations involving the former two-time world heavyweight champion.

The 41-year-old from Bawburgh allegedly passed the phone number of undercover reporters posing as boxing promoters to a drug dealer who then offered the reporters £400 of cocaine.

The allegations were made in The Sun newspaper yesterday in an investigation into match-fixing.

According to the newspaper, Mr Hide offered to set-up and rig a fight for £1m in a betting scam.

He told the reporters: “What you want to do is simple, yeah, is to see who the favourite is and get the favourite to go down in the round you call. It will be arranged.”
Mr Hide reportedly added: “Whoever, which round you want, whatever you want as long as you put the money.

“I can guarantee one thing, you can get whoever is the favourite, you can get them to step down for a million pounds.
“You need a big name on good record — yeah, like myself!”

Speaking to the Norwich Evening News at his mansion yesterday, Mr Hide said he did want to comment on the drug allegations other than to say that he had never sold drugs.

He said that men claiming to be boxing promoters and wanting to set up a fight in Dubai had approached him at his home.

Mr Hide said he then met the men at the Sprowston Manor Hotel where he claimed he was asked about fixing a fight and how much it would cost.

He told the Norwich Evening News: “I’m thinking it would take at least £1m. They wanted me to arrange it.”

He added: “I told them to put £1m into my account and we will start talking.

“I spoke to my mum and dad and said these people want me to set up a boxing match.

“My mum and dad said, tell them to go to hell.”

The boxer said that he had never rigged fights before and was playing along with the ‘promoters’.

“I could never fix a boxing match,” he said. “I knew it was a con so I was trying to con them as well.”

He compared the situation he had been caught up in to a Hollywood movie and said he was shocked at the story.

Mr Hide added: “Why can’t they get somebody with a cleaner image? Who will be surprised at Herbie?”

The former fighter has been involved in court cases and last year Tafadzwa Khan, 25, was stabbed to death at Mr Hide’s home while the boxer was out.

A spokesman for Norfolk Constabulary said: “We have been handed information in the form of two short sections of video concerning alleged drug activity.

“The police are examining this and working with the provider of the information to investigate the full circumstances.”

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 25 Feb 2013

Rocky bait?

crakaveli's Photo crakaveli 25 Feb 2013

doesn't take much :lol:

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 25 Feb 2013

There's one thing they could never put the fix on and that was his power.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 25 Feb 2013

who cares about this.

15 yrs ago this would have been a story.

herbie is just a has been now.

we all know he's had money troubles.

so the throwing a fight if the money was right is no massive shock.

Menty's Photo Menty 25 Feb 2013

Maybe this explains the "loss" to Vitali - with Herbies power there is no way Klitschko would've been able to take a single jab if Herbie had been trying.

View PostMenty, on 25 February 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Maybe this explains the "loss" to Vitali - with Herbies power there is no way Klitschko would've been able to take a single jab if Herbie had been trying.

And it loss to Bowe...  As if Bowe would of seen round 2 against Big Herbs if the fix wasn't in.

View PostROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 25 February 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

And it loss to Bowe...  As if Bowe would of seen round 2 against Big Herbs if the fix wasn't in.

And despite Herbie taking it easy and diving against Big Daddy, Bowe swore under oath that Herbs is not only scientifically proven to be the hardest puncher in the history of boxing he also reckons Hide is the hardest bloke in the world ever.

watson748's Photo watson748 25 Feb 2013

View PostROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 25 February 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Its the illuminati I tells ya. Honestly. It can't be that he's a failure in boxing ...or in life......not with a punch like that...it surely must be someones else fault...something much bigger. I mean when he deliberately surrounds himself with tomato cans to make himself look great and then steps up to the real world and gets flattened...there must be a conspiracy afoot?

You two morons eventually getting the ironic metaphor yet? or are you still on double digit IQ scores  :lol:

View Postwatson748, on 25 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

Its the illuminati I tells ya. Honestly. It can't be that he's a failure in boxing ...or in life......not with a punch like that...it surely must be someones else fault...something much bigger. I mean when he deliberately surrounds himself with tomato cans to make himself look great and then steps up to the real world and gets flattened...there must be a conspiracy afoot?

David Price? :lol:

View PostMenty, on 25 February 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

David Price? :lol:

Tyson Fury's ducking him ya know... David Icke telepathically told me through the intergalactical air waves.