←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Larry Merchant Wants Bernard Hopkins Vs. A...

RickS's Photo RickS 11 Mar 2013

To hear ward describe Hopkins' technical ability during the fight tell me that he knows what Hopkins is about. Ward will make Hopkins fight at a fast pace, which is the way to beat Hopkins.

As an announcer, Ward is awesome too.

napoleon336's Photo napoleon336 11 Mar 2013

I have little to no interest in Hopkins vs Ward.  Ward is just too much for Hopkins right now.

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 11 Mar 2013

Ward/Hopkins would be a lopsided fight in Ward's favor. BHops still deserves props for what he does at his age, but it comes against guys who are tailor-made for him. Anyways, BHops isn't beating the younger version of himself.

crakaveli's Photo crakaveli 11 Mar 2013

this would be the most boring, ugliest fight in boxing history

shove-aloe's Photo shove-aloe 11 Mar 2013

Not taking away from BHops' talent and HOF credentials but his best years are behind him.  He's not beating prime top rung fighters anymore and won't ever again.  He'll be adding to his resumé with 2nd tier good fighters and obviously still entertaining boxing fans.   It's always nice to see an older man put on a great show like he does,  but this isn't prime vs prime boxing or anything close........it's more of a novelty act IMHO.    I give Hops props for staying as sharp as he is and keeping fit but time has taken it's toll.  His ring savvy isn't going to cut it with a prime Ward.   Lampley should retire too if he thinks that it would be a competitive fight.......father time catches up with everyone.

Smelodies's Photo Smelodies 11 Mar 2013

View Postshove-aloe, on 11 March 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Not taking away from BHops' talent and HOF credentials but his best years are behind him.  He's not beating prime top rung fighters anymore and won't ever again.  He'll be adding to his resumé with 2nd tier good fighters and obviously still entertaining boxing fans.   It's always nice to see an older man put on a great show like he does,  but this isn't prime vs prime boxing or anything close........it's more of a novelty act IMHO.    

I agree Hopkins shouldn't be favored against Ward but I wouldn't call what he did on Saturday a novelty act. Larry Holmes getting a ten round decision over Butterbean in 2002 was a novelty act. Hopkins took a belt from a real guy.

Blaxima's Photo Blaxima 11 Mar 2013

View Postcrakaveli, on 11 March 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

absolutely

shove-aloe's Photo shove-aloe 11 Mar 2013

View PostSmelodies, on 11 March 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

I agree Hopkins shouldn't be favored against Ward but I wouldn't call what he did on Saturday a novelty act. Larry Holmes getting a ten round decision over Butterbean in 2002 was a novelty act. Hopkins took a belt from a real guy.

You're right - Storm is no Butterbean but he's not anyone we'll remember historically.   Legitimate in the sense that he's not a stiff but far from a great boxer that can really add to Hops' legacy.   Let's re-phrase it and call it great entertainment or a swan song of sorts.    Bernard isn't going to put on that kind of clinic with Ward or any of the top contenders.   Hops in his mid to late 30's is another story.   That version of Nard is what puts him amongst the best of his generation.   Can't argue with his HOF credentials - he's as solidly in there as Hager or Hearns.   One of the craftiest and intelligent boxers I've ever seen.    His attitude is sometimes irritating but I'm in awe of the boxer and his accomplishments - he's earned the respect he gets from the boxing community.    From what I know of him he lives a very clean lifestyle and is always fit..........a great example for kids and the sport.    Let's go back to my original statement......With Hops' undisputed greatness, don't you think that fight was a little bit of a novelty act ?  
A prime Hops wipes the canvas with Storm.

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 11 Mar 2013

View PostRickS, on 11 March 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

To hear ward describe Hopkins' technical ability during the fight tell me that he knows what Hopkins is about. Ward will make Hopkins fight at a fast pace, which is the way to beat Hopkins.

As an announcer, Ward is awesome too.

Ward can't keep a fast pace.  He was sucking wind later in a couple of his fights that I recall, and those weren't high paced fights.

RickS's Photo RickS 11 Mar 2013

View PostThe Akbar One, on 11 March 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Ward can't keep a fast pace.  He was sucking wind later in a couple of his fights that I recall, and those weren't high paced fights.

That's because he doesn't fight enough for me.  Ward should fight 3x a year, but pretty much fights one, mostly due to injuries.

ATLien's Photo ATLien 11 Mar 2013

View Postatruesoutherngentleman, on 11 March 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

Ward/Hopkins would be a lopsided fight in Ward's favor. BHops still deserves props for what he does at his age, but it comes against guys who are tailor-made for him. Anyways, BHops isn't beating the younger version of himself.
Definitely, guys like Pascal and Taylor while they have the physical talents and enough youth to get themselves belts they lack the boxing acumen to get past a guy like Hopkins.  Ward would be an entirely different anmial that he simply wouldn't be able to out finesse like those other guys.

da_dog27's Photo da_dog27 11 Mar 2013

Hopkins said that he would never fight Ward and I agree with him.  I would have loved to watch these guys go at in in they're primes.

jlc80's Photo jlc80 11 Mar 2013

View Postcrakaveli, on 11 March 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Hopkins - Wright disagrees.

simba's Photo simba 11 Mar 2013

View Postjlc80, on 11 March 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

Hopkins - Wright disagrees.
:lol: