←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Floyd Mayweather Hype Machine Will Deliver...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 04 May 2013

Floyd Mayweather Hype Machine Will Deliver PPV Knockout On Showtime

Kurt Badenhausen, Forbes Staff

Floyd Mayweather was a pay-per-view powerhouse for HBO with his nine PPV bouts generating $540 million in revenue on 9.6 million buys for the network. He was part of the three biggest non-heavyweight PPV events in boxing history. His success made him the highest-paid athlete in the world last year with earnings of $85 million. Mayweather’s star power convinced Showtime Sports to ink the 36-year-old pugilist to a 30-month deal in February that is expected to pay out more than $200 million if Mayweather fights six times.

Showtime is banking that Mayweather can still deliver a massive audience as the sport’s biggest star when he squares off Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas against Robert Guerrero. The network and its parent, CBS CBS +0.11%, are pulling out all of the stops to promote its first Mayweather fight as they bankroll the undefeated fighter in the hope he helps close the subscription gap between HBO and Showtime, which currently sits at around six million people...

READ THE REST AT: http://www.forbes.co...artner=yahootix

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 04 May 2013

If people are as stupid as I believe they are, this will easily make a million PPVs and people will be bitching about the fight tomorrow.

RickS's Photo RickS 04 May 2013

1hitrquitr, on 04 May 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If people are as stupid as I believe they are, this will easily make a million PPVs and people will be bitching about the fight tomorrow.

I know people who don't even LIKE boxing who are ordering this event.

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 04 May 2013

RickS, on 04 May 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Exactly my point!  Hopefully I'm wrong and this is an entertaining fight and not a one sided beat down, because if not those non-boxing fans will continue to be non-boxing fans.

shove-aloe's Photo shove-aloe 05 May 2013

1hitrquitr, on 04 May 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

Exactly my point!  Hopefully I'm wrong and this is an entertaining fight and not a one sided beat down, because if not those non-boxing fans will continue to be non-boxing fans.

I hope it doesn't turn those non-fans into Floyd groupies............I thought we had a good housecleaning of Pacoholics when JMM flattened him.   This place actually has a majority of non-Pac threads on the 1st page of Boxing Chat since Pac was exposed.  Simba is cool peeps but his obsession for Pac polluted this place for a long time.   Hopefully it won't ever be polluted by Floyd groupies.   This place should be about the sport of boxing not the lust after one specific fighter. That kinda crap ruins it for most of us who are boxing fans not groupies.

chewbie's Photo chewbie 05 May 2013

1hitrquitr, on 04 May 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

Turned out to be a decent albeit one sided fight with an entertaining undercard.

serial's Photo serial 05 May 2013

I was actually impressed with Showtimes production. Which to this point has been sub par to HBO. Good job Showtime.

factsarenice's Photo factsarenice 05 May 2013

the fight might do ok but a record breaker......um nope.   The next fights will do less and less until floyd fights a real ww

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 05 May 2013

serial, on 05 May 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

I was actually impressed with Showtimes production. Which to this point has been sub par to HBO. Good job Showtime.
this...

Production looked good and the commentators were really good.

stylish's Photo stylish 05 May 2013

factsarenice, on 05 May 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

the fight might do ok but a record breaker......um nope.   The next fights will do less and less until floyd fights a real ww
like who?

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 05 May 2013

RickS, on 04 May 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

this... but amongst boxing fans around "here" I've read some say they aren't watching it ..  :sleep:

Every sports bar and movie theater was sold out last night.  Plus most of my friends watch it at home or at a ppv party.  I couldn't make it this year!!!! Last minute work obligations but I enjoyed it with friends.

jermaine's Photo jermaine 05 May 2013

I just hate that ShowTime doesn't know how to track ppb numbers so we won't know how well this fight sold....lol