←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Biggest Paycheck Awaits Manny Pacquiao

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 24 May 2013

Biggest paycheck awaits Pacquiao

May 24th, 2013
By NICK GIONGCO

From a marketing standpoint, Manny Pacquiao remains a marketable fighter.

Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum said yesterday Pacquiao’s star continues to shine as the Filipino icon is on the verge of making the biggest paycheck of his career when he faces Brandon Rios in his comeback bout before noon on Nov. 24 in Macau.

Arum didn’t say the exact amount Pacquiao is guaranteed for the Rios showdown but made it clear that the figures are in the vicinity of what he had made in his last few fights.

In the fourth fight with Juan Manuel Marquez last year, Pacquiao was guaranteed $23 million plus a share in the pay-per-view and gate receipts.

Arum said Pacquiao stands to earn much more in the Rios fight depending on the response of the Chinese pay-per-view...

Read the Full Article Here: http://www.tempo.com...o/#.UZ-sGZyE77R

mos-def's Photo mos-def 24 May 2013

But will it reach the $40M he could've had?

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 24 May 2013

mos-def, on 24 May 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

But will it reach the $40M he could've had?

Has Floyd reached the 100 million dollar payday he could've had?  What's your point?  Manny is coming off two losses and is still going to make a record payday.

Antonious's Photo Antonious 24 May 2013

So what's the final cut after the advances?

Antonious, on 24 May 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

So what's the final cut after the advances?

Who cares, it's still more than any fighter not named Floyd Mayweather (assuming he doesn't take similar advances, and blows his money in similar fashion).

Everyone loves to point out how Arum takes a cut, but never bring up that Mayweather also has to pay GBP, I'm sure they are not doing it for free, because they love Floyd Mayweather.

1hitrquitr, on 24 May 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Has Floyd reached the 100 million dollar payday he could've had?  What's your point?  Manny is coming off two losses and is still going to make a record payday.
Damn, did I say something to offend? I guess I was just typing out loud. If you think FMJ or any single fighter today would have been paid $100M then you are obviously a fool. A fight between the two, at it's height, was projected to gross them both an estimated $100M. But telling you this is certainly a waste of keystrokes.

My point is this, for years many ppl believe Pac has been severely underpaid. He is supposedly a star far reaching than just the U.S, yet he isn't and hasn't been paid as such in comparison to his rival. Don't you think it's odd that a fighter offered him the $40M and not his own promoter?

Seriously, stop being so defensive for a moment and think about it. IMO, Pac should have been getting paid similarly if not more significantly better than FMJ considering his iconic status outside of the U.S., BEFORE the losses. Hatton probably made as much coin at home as he did stateside fighting both FMJ and Pac. Why isn't Pac?

1hitrquitr, on 24 May 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Who cares, it's still more than any fighter not named Floyd Mayweather (assuming he doesn't take similar advances, and blows his money in similar fashion).

Everyone loves to point out how Arum takes a cut, but never bring up that Mayweather also has to pay GBP, I'm sure they are not doing it for free, because they love Floyd Mayweather.
You're too caught up in making this about Pac and FMJ. You don't feel that Pac has been underpaid? I would beg the differ becus of the way you seem to summarily discount the claims of what FMJ makes. Either FMJ makes too much or Pac is making too little.

G.D.'s Photo G.D. 24 May 2013

If they are able to get 50 million Chinese citizens to purchase this fight, it will be a very lucrative affair.

It would be enough to surpass the highest estimates for Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayweather fight in Asia after a fight in the UK, if this promotion comes off successfully.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 24 May 2013

G.D., on 24 May 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

If they are able to get 50 million Chinese citizens to purchase this fight, it will be a very lucrative affair.

It would be enough to surpass the highest estimates for Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayweather fight in Asia after a fight in the UK, if this promotion comes off successfully.
The PPV price in China is about $5.  They're starting small to introduce the model.

mos-def, on 24 May 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Damn, did I say something to offend? I guess I was just typing out loud. If you think FMJ or any single fighter today would have been paid $100M then you are obviously a fool. A fight between the two, at it's height, was projected to gross them both an estimated $100M. But telling you this is certainly a waste of keystrokes.

My point is this, for years many ppl believe Pac has been severely underpaid. He is supposedly a star far reaching than just the U.S, yet he isn't and hasn't been paid as such in comparison to his rival. Don't you think it's odd that a fighter offered him the $40M and not his own promoter?

Seriously, stop being so defensive for a moment and think about it. IMO, Pac should have been getting paid similarly if not more significantly better than FMJ considering his iconic status outside of the U.S., BEFORE the losses. Hatton probably made as much coin at home as he did stateside fighting both FMJ and Pac. Why isn't Pac?

I think this has as much to do with the Philippines being a developing nation with a primarily poor, but growing fanbase than anything else.  Alternately, Hatton came about in a completely mature fighting market- one that has loved boxing for over a century and has both the money and venue infrastructure to support massive paydays.

But I agree, Arum should have made such a push with Pacquiao 3 or 4 years ago.  Doing so may have given him an option like Hatton had against Mayweather- the lion's share of international PPV revenue for any fight Pacquiao was in, including Mayweather.

mos-def, on 24 May 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

You're too caught up in making this about Pac and FMJ. You don't feel that Pac has been underpaid? I would beg the differ becus of the way you seem to summarily discount the claims of what FMJ makes. Either FMJ makes too much or Pac is making too little.

This article has no mention of Floyd Mayweather yet you feel the need to bring up the $40 million "offer" Floyd sent him.  All I did was point out another attempt to discredit Pac somehow.  He is still the second highest paid boxer, and is still set (according to this thread) to make more money coming off two losses, why do you feel the need to try to add negativity...it is you bringing up Floyd not me.

johnnyblaze, on 24 May 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

The PPV price in China is about $5.  They're starting small to introduce the model.

I read that.  To me, that sounds like a great price point (50 million purchases at $5 a pop gets you into the quarter billion dollar range). The question is, can they drive people to watch this event?  I'd be interested to know if there is any history of PPV purchases of any sort in China, and if so, what the market looks like.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 24 May 2013

G.D., on 24 May 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

I read that.  To me, that sounds like a great price point (50 million purchases at $5 a pop gets you into the quarter billion dollar range). The question is, can they drive people to watch this event?  I'd be interested to know if there is any history of PPV purchases of any sort in China, and if so, what the market looks like.
I'm also curious how many homes or bars have the capability to pick up the PPV.  I think this will be the first of any sort over there.

johnnyblaze, on 24 May 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

I'm also curious how many homes or bars have the capability to pick up the PPV.  I think this will be the first of any sort over there.

It's not clear to me if this is a stream PPV only, or if they also have a cable or on demand-style broadcast partner.

1hitrquitr, on 24 May 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

This article has no mention of Floyd Mayweather yet you feel the need to bring up the $40 million "offer" Floyd sent him.  All I did was point out another attempt to discredit Pac somehow.  He is still the second highest paid boxer, and is still set (according to this thread) to make more money coming off two losses, why do you feel the need to try to add negativity...it is you bringing up Floyd not me.
Again, you read into my statement what you wanted to. I for one thinks he's been underpaid for years now, but you'd rather defend Arum. Nor did I mention FMJ, I mentioned the offer sent by FMJ. It wasn't negativity at all, but wondering if he'd finally get paid worth his sum. I hope he does quitr, so you can stop thinking I'm doing more harm to him than Arum.