←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

What's Next For Broner?

Ten oz's Photo Ten oz 23 Jun 2013

fourtheboys96, on 23 June 2013 - 01:07 AM, said:

Well, Paulie isn;t the best welter right now and a lot expected him to lose to Broner.
So we cannot really gauge a 147lb Broner based on this fight.
What do you think will be his next move?

Will he stay at welter and hope for a crack againts Mayweather in the near future?
In doing so, who will he fight? Maidana? Thurman? Abregu? etc

Or will he drop down to 140lbs?
We actually can gauge him some off this performance. We all saw a guy who stops punching rather than counters when his opponent opens up. We also saw a guy with less then elite level footwork. He claims he didn't need footwork for Paulie but his failure to cut the ring off and slow Paulie down says otherwise. A fighter who doesn't counter and doesn't have great footwork is much easier to hit. We also saw that his power at welter is not stuff of legends. The few shots he caught Paulie with did nothing.

Against someone like Maidana Broner would have to bring more to the table. Maidana like Paulie will answer combos with combos but unlike Paulie Maidana's combos are something Broner will want to just absorb with his body. Maidana also is not afraid of being hit and will not back off. Last night performance doesn't beat Maidana. I think Broner will be forced to dig deep vs Maidana and we will know exactly who he is as a champion afterwards.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 23 Jun 2013

i'd give him a pressure fighter next.

maidana makes sense.

a guy who's also come up in weight to.

then fight the khan-alexander winner.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 23 Jun 2013

Anyone but Floyd IMO. That fight would turn into a love fest in a hurry.

Broner should probably go back to 135 or 140 at least.

Lucas seems like the obvious choice to me.

Baltimore Live Home Of The Wire's Photo Baltimore Live Home Of The Wire 23 Jun 2013

rayajr, on 23 June 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Anyone but Floyd IMO. That fight would turn into a love fest in a hurry.

Broner should probably go back to 135 or 140 at least.

Lucas seems like the obvious choice to me.
How's Matthysse the obvious choice when he's in negotiations to face Danny Garcia? If anything it seems as if Maidana is the next obvious choice.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 23 Jun 2013

Baltimore Live Home Of The Wire, on 23 June 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

How's Matthysse the obvious choice when he's in negotiations to face Danny Garcia? If anything it seems as if Maidana is the next obvious choice.
What I meant to say is, its who I prefer he face next.

gogetter's Photo gogetter 23 Jun 2013

Even less sold on Broner @ 147 after last night's fight. Would love to see Abregu or Maindana get a crack at Broner next.

Blaxima's Photo Blaxima 23 Jun 2013

I love Maidana so I want him to get a shot but to be honest while he did carry his power up with him, he looks a little soft for 147 lbs. I'd like to see it at 140 lbs

@140 lbs - Maidana, Matthysse or Khan
@147 lbs - Pac, Alexander or Ortiz

Spike's Photo Spike 23 Jun 2013

how about keith thurman <_<

WhenWeWereKings's Photo WhenWeWereKings 23 Jun 2013

Yori Boy Campos

jermaine's Photo jermaine 23 Jun 2013

Blaxima, on 23 June 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

I love Maidana so I want him to get a shot but to be honest while he did carry his power up with him, he looks a little soft for 147 lbs. I'd like to see it at 140 lbs

@140 lbs - Maidana, Matthysse or Khan
@147 lbs - Pac, Alexander or Ortiz

I think VO would stop AB....I would love to see that fight.....I think VO is too big and strong.....They would not put AB in with him I don't think....

I wouldn't mind seeing the other fights you mentioned would all tough fights as well....

The_Ikon's Photo The_Ikon 23 Jun 2013

he should face Shane Mosley like Canelo did....

meisinger's Photo meisinger 23 Jun 2013

i want to see mayweather shut him out

Rocket Pop's Photo Rocket Pop 23 Jun 2013

Baltimore Live Home Of The Wire, on 23 June 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Not to win the poll. I think the problem with the poll idea is that Floyd, Matthysse, and top rank fighters like Pac, JMM would get the most votes. I vote..the winner of Garcia vs Matthysse. Broner to go back to 140 and he won't have to worry about fighting his big brother.

AntonioMartin's Photo AntonioMartin 23 Jun 2013

<p>Even Floyd called Broner his little brother...Pacman&#39;s damaged goods IMO.</p>

fourtheboys96's Photo fourtheboys96 23 Jun 2013

Spike, on 23 June 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

how about keith thurman <_<

by sheer size alone, thurman can beat Broner. the is guy is sometimes fighting as a jr middle.