←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Wladimir Klitschko Mired In Lawsuit Over I...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 15 Aug 2014

Wladimir Klitschko Mired in Lawsuit Over Injured Boxer
by TMZ Staff
Posted Image
Heavyweight boxing champ Wladimir Klitschko is in the middle of a bizarre legal fight ... involving a boxer he signed who suffered massive injuries during a recent bout.

Magomed Abdusalamov -- a boxer who was signed by Klitschko's company, K2 Boxing Promotions -- suffered permanent brain damage in a November, 2013 bout at Madison Square Garden.

The fight went the full 10 rounds and there was no question ... Mike Perez won. In fact, he beat Abdusalamov so badly, he ended up having brain surgery and suffered a series of strokes. He may never walk or talk again.

Abdusalamov's wife has sued Klitschko's company ... claiming the champ and his people should have stopped the fight when it was clear her husband was badly injured.  She also claims there was a delay in getting him medical attention.

Klitschko's company has put a claim in to his insurance company ... to cover any judgment in the lawsuit, but the insurance company has now asked a judge to declare the policy ONLY covers injuries like sickness, disease or death outside the ring that would cause cancellation of the fight.

The insurance company says there's a specific exclusion from injuries resulting from the fight itself.

A judge has yet to rule.

Tune in to TMZ on TV weekdays Monday through Friday (check http://www.tmz.com/when-its-on for syndicated/local listings at the bottom of the page)

True Fist's Photo True Fist 15 Aug 2014

K2 couldn't stop the fight. That was up to the NYSAC doctors, the ref, or the fighters corner. Am I missing something? Can a promoter walk up to the canvas to stop the fight?

This was just a disaster by the corner and the NYSAC. I am surprised JDJ doesn't get more shit from this as he was team leader there.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 15 Aug 2014

True Fist, on 15 August 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

K2 couldn't stop the fight. That was up to the NYSAC doctors, the ref, or the fighters corner. Am I missing something? Can a promoter walk up to the canvas to stop the fight?

This was just a disaster by the corner and the NYSAC. I am surprised JDJ doesn't get more shit from this as he was team leader there.
The commission and the corner are the ones at fault here, but I can't blame Mago's family for suing everyone within sight.

Gokuu's Photo Gokuu 15 Aug 2014

Well we all know that there were no real ill intentions when this fight was scheduled. Both men went out there and did their job.

The people in the corner and the ref are the ones that need to make the decision to stop the fight. It is sad as heck that we see a boxer and family go through this. As we all love the game for entertainment but not this kind. Also we nor anyone else would have know things would g so awry.

i hope that at least the K2 people help out as much as possible. But to be sued, I don't think is right.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 16 Aug 2014

Mane it ain't dat klit faults ya digs already

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 16 Aug 2014

Brutal fight that, I didn't realize the big man had been permanently injured off it.

Got fuck all to do with Klits though.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 16 Aug 2014

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 16 August 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Brutal fight that, I didn't realize the big man had been permanently injured off it.

Got fuck all to do with Klits though.
Are the promoters responsible for the fighters in case of emergencies? Mago had to take a cab to the hospital. Why wasn't there an ambulance available for him? Seems that there should have been.

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 17 Aug 2014

rayajr, on 16 August 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

Are the promoters responsible for the fighters in case of emergencies? Mago had to take a cab to the hospital. Why wasn't there an ambulance available for him? Seems that there should have been.

Isn't that why people pay commision fees?  

Promoter promotes the fight, I maybe wrong but over here in the UK it's down to the BBBC (British board of boxing control) that deals with the health and safety of the fighters. Obviously there will be a certain element of responsibility for the promoter but making sure there's ambulances for the fighters, I'm pretty sure that lies with the commission's.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 17 Aug 2014

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 17 August 2014 - 04:48 AM, said:

Isn't that why people pay commision fees?  

Promoter promotes the fight, I maybe wrong but over here in the UK it's down to the BBBC (British board of boxing control) that deals with the health and safety of the fighters. Obviously there will be a certain element of responsibility for the promoter but making sure there's ambulances for the fighters, I'm pretty sure that lies with the commission's.
I'm asking so you know I don't know. But if the promoters are getting these guys fights against specific individuals, at specific dates and venues, I think there is or should be a certain amount of responsibility that everything is legit and in order.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 18 Aug 2014

rayajr, on 17 August 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

I'm asking so you know I don't know. But if the promoters are getting these guys fights against specific individuals, at specific dates and venues, I think there is or should be a certain amount of responsibility that everything is legit and in order.
Read this: http://www.boxingsce...e-boxing--71949

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 18 Aug 2014

In related news, Krusher is selling his gear from his last fight on eBay and donating the proceeds to Mago.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 18 Aug 2014

johnnyblaze, on 18 August 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

I did.