←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Golovkin Vs. Rubio, October 18 At Stubhub...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 20 Aug 2014

“MEXICAN STYLE”

WORLD MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

GENNADY “GGG” GOLVOKIN VS. MARCO ANTONIO RUBIO

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 18

STUB HUB CENTER IN CARSON, CALIFORNIA

LIVE ON HBO®

Los Angeles, CA (August 19, 2014) Boxing’s fastest rising star, GENNADY “GGG” GOLOVKIN will defend his World Boxing Association (‘WBA’) and International Boxing Organization (‘IBO’) Middleweight World Titles against World Boxing Council (‘WBC’) Interim Middleweight Champion MARCO ANTONIO “El Veneno” RUBIO on Saturday, October 18th at the StubHub Center in Carson, California and televised Live on HBO World Championship Boxing® beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT

Presented by K2 Promotions and GGG Promotions in association with Promociones Del Pueblo, the scheduled 12-round GOLOVKIN vs. RUBIO championship battle will headline “MEXICAN STYLE”, a world class evening of entertainment at the West Coast’s premier outdoor venue for boxing.  

“I’m very excited to fight in California,” said Golovkin. “I always enjoy attending fights at the StubHub Center and look forward to a “Mexican Style” fight against Marco Antonio Rubio.”

Said Rubio, “I’m excited to fight another world champion. I always accept the biggest challenges and without a doubt this will be the greatest of my career. I will show Golovkin a real “Mexican Style” fight on October 18th.”

“We’re looking forward to promoting the West Coast debut of Gennady Golovkin,” stated Tom Loeffler, Managing Director of K2 Promotions. “His growing popularity across the country compels us to bring this highly anticipated fight to the StubHub Center, which has hosted so many exciting boxing events in recent years.”

“Marco Antonio Rubio is among the toughest fighters in boxing and this battle with Gennady should provide fireworks from the opening bell.”

“It will be a tremendous fight,” said Oswaldo Kuchle of Promociones Del Pueblo.  “I can assure you that Rubio will make this a war.”

Sporting a record of 30-0-0 with 27 knockouts, the highest knockout ratio (90%) of any active world champion, Golovkin has become a must-see international attraction with his aggressive all-action style and breathtaking knockouts.

On July 26th at Madison Square Garden, Golovkin stopped two-time former world champion Daniel Geale in the third round with an extraordinary knockout punch that will be at the top of most “Knockout of the Year” media and fan lists.

Against Geale, Golovkin made his 11th title defense while scoring his 17th knockout in a row. Golovkin will head to Big Bear, California next week to begin preparations under the watchful eye of longtime trainer Abel Sanchez

Fighting out of Torreon, Mexico and training in Oxnard, California with former world champion Robert Garcia, Rubio has compiled a record of 59-6-1 with 51 knockouts against some of the best fighters in the sport.

The hard-hitting Rubio has faced Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Kelly Pavlik, David Lemieux, Kassim Ouma, Frankie Randall and Jose Luis Zertuche.

The 34-year-old Rubio is currently 16-1 in his last seventeen bouts most recently stopping Italian veteran Dominic Spada in the tenth round on April 5th in Chihuahua, Mexico, winning the WBC Interim Middleweight Title.  

For fight updates on GOLOVKIN VS. RUBIO via Social Media, follow HBO Boxing on Twitter at @HBOBoxing and Facebook at /HBOBoxing, in addition to on Twitter at Gennady Golovkin/ @GGGBoxing, Marco Antonio Rubio/ @MAVenenoRubio, Tom Loeffler - K2 Promotions/ @TomLoeffler1 and Promociones Del Pueblo/ @PromoDelPueblo. Use the hashtag #GolovkinRubio to join the conversation on Twitter.

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 20 Aug 2014

Rubio went to war with chavez back in 2012. Rubio also waxed that ko artist for canada. Ggg should win but rubio has a small chance

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 20 Aug 2014

View Postboxadore, on 20 August 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

Rubio went to war with chavez back in 2012. Rubio also waxed that ko artist for canada. Ggg should win but rubio has a small chance

Refresh my memory... what KO artist from Canada? (Thanks)

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 20 Aug 2014

View PostGlax0r, on 20 August 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Refresh my memory... what KO artist from Canada? (Thanks)
David Lemieux

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 20 Aug 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 20 August 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

David Lemieux
yep:-)

rayajr's Photo rayajr 20 Aug 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 20 August 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

David Lemieux
Oh ya, the retarded kid.

True Fist's Photo True Fist 20 Aug 2014

Nice! That will be a good event. Maybe I can talk my pops in to going with me to see it.

View PostTrue Fist, on 20 August 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Nice! That will be a good event. Maybe I can talk my pops in to going with me to see it.
Mane, I have had a different trip booked for that weekend for over 3 months.  I'm pretty p1ssed I'm going to miss it.

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 20 Aug 2014

Golovkin fighting another chump.  This is becoming laughable.  Rubio got KO'd by Jantuah in 37 seconds.  I thought he was dead.

Jeses H Christ.

This is a title unification fight, folks.  Rubio is the only title holder willing to face GGG.  Soliman said no, I'll take JT.  Kid Chocolate has his mandatory in Korobov.  The winner is Cotto's mandatory, so he should be vacating soon.

"We have decided that the fight between Golovkin and Rubio will be a unification, both are world champions and the council decided that it's a title unification bout," said Sulaiman. "The winner of this fight would go against Cotto, who could make a [voluntary] defense [of his title] at the end of the year, which is still undetermined."

"It will be a great fight and it's very good for the division which has excellent world champions. Rubio is our champion, he is a great fighter and he will face another very prominent world champion, which speaks volumes about the high level of this division."

Shaun Waller's Photo Shaun Waller 20 Aug 2014

He fights 4xs per year, and we have posters in here claiming he's pissing away his prime, wow.  This fight makes sense to get that wbc belt cotto has.  As far as quillen is concerned,  isn't it funny now that he has a mandatory with Korobov going to purse bid, he is now claiming he wants 3G!  Great timing dude, lol

DreadedFist's Photo DreadedFist 20 Aug 2014

View Postrayajr, on 20 August 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

Oh ya, the retarded kid.

How is he retarded?

TRAFFIC's Photo TRAFFIC 20 Aug 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 20 August 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Jeses H Christ.

This is a title unification fight, folks.  Rubio is the only title holder willing to face GGG.  Soliman said no, I'll take JT.  Kid Chocolate has his mandatory in Korobov.  The winner is Cotto's mandatory, so he should be vacating soon.
yes rubio is no bum he brings it every fight im looking foward to this fight

View PostShaun Waller, on 20 August 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

He fights 4xs per year, and we have posters in here claiming he's pissing away his prime, wow.  This fight makes sense to get that wbc belt cotto has.  As far as quillen is concerned,  isn't it funny now that he has a mandatory with Korobov going to purse bid, he is now claiming he wants 3G!  Great timing dude, lol
true like a throw back fighter staying in the ring and busy it's not ggg fault nobody wants to fight him...talk about pissing there prime away is ward that guy fights 2x every 4 years :P :D

Shaun Waller's Photo Shaun Waller 20 Aug 2014

Exactly Traffic!   What they hay is goin on wit the double standards in here?  Haha