←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Jahmaine Smyle Reckons Size Matters - And...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 11 Sep 2014

Jahmaine Smyle reckons size matters - and he's going to prove it this month
In what looks a 50-50 fight, Smyle meets Cello Renda in an eliminator for the English super-middleweight title in Whitwick, Leicestershire on Sunday, September 28.

Smyle steps up after winning Midlands Area and British Masters honours - and Renda is targeting another shot at the St George's belt having twice been beaten in challenges for the middleweight title.

Once a hit-or-be-hit crowd favourite, Renda has reinvented himself as a boxer who follows the textbook rather more closely - and Smyle knows all about the 29 year-old from Peterborough.

They've sparred several times and according to Smyle, his size and strength will give him the edge when they fight over 10 rounds at Hermitage Leisure Centre.

"I've looked at Cello's record," said the 28 year-old from Leicester, "and he's never fought anyone like me before.

"I'm a big, strong super-middleweight - and he's never fought anyone my size before.

"We've chatted a few times and Cello was always saying it was a struggle to make middleweight.

"He was too big for middleweight - but he's only a small super-middleweight.

"Every time we sparred I got the better of him. My strength and fitness always gave me the edge.

"I'm very confident, but he's dangerous. I'm expecting a tough fight."

The records show that when the going gets tough, Smyle gets going.

In his Midlands-title winning effort last October he outlasted Prince Dave Davis in eight gruelling rounds - and Ryan Clark was also ground down in eight rounds for the British Masters belt in May.

"You can have all the skills," said Smyle, "but when it gets tough you have to really dig deep and not everyone can do that.
"I love those sorts of fights, when you are taken to your limits and have to show what you've got inside."

Smyle has shown his character to shrug off a pair of shattering stoppage defeats and climb up to No 13 in the rankings on Box Rec.

There were sizeable expectations when Smyle turned professional five years ago after winning 15 of his 16 amateur bouts.
He was managed by Mr Boxing and his trainer had a wealth of hard-earned wisdom to pass on having won every available major honour in the professional ring.

Five years on, Dean Powell is dead and Chris Pyatt spends interviews defending Smyle following those losses to Wayne Reed and Hosea Burton.

"People writing me off has taken the pressure off me," said Smyle.

"I can just relax and do my job now.

"I try to enjoy boxing now and when I enjoy it, I seem to do well."

Perhaps well enough to become Leicester's first British champion since Tony Sibson won the Lonsdale belt outright with a seven-round stoppage of Brian Anderson back in September, 1987.

"Winning this fight will put me in a good place," said Smyle. "I'm hoping it will put me in the top 10.

"I'm not ready to fight for the British title yet, but I've got the potential and if I get a few more wins under my belt I will get there."

Also on the show in Whitwick, Shepshed talent Louis '2 Sweet' Norman defends his British Masters flyweight title