←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Ray Mancini: Mayweather Wouldn't Have...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 12 Sep 2014

Ray Mancini: Mayweather wouldn't have beaten Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Benitez

By Scott Christ

Ray Mancini fought in an era with some great welterweights, and doesn't believe that Floyd Mayweather truly measures up to the likes of Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and Benitez.

Former WBA lightweight champion Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini spoke with Fight Hub TV and The Boxing Channel's Marcos Villegas in Las Vegas this week, giving his thoughts on the Saturday night rematch between Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana, saying he feels this time, Mayweather will win easily.

He also gave his thoughts on how Floyd stacks up to some of the best of Mancini's era.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON YAHOO SPORTS AT: http://sports.yahoo....-100102429.html

ATLien's Photo ATLien 12 Sep 2014

Ok.  Commence to bashing Mancini as a hater now.

SW20's Photo SW20 12 Sep 2014

I would agree with this statement.  Those fighters tested and beat the crap out of each other, they are proven.  Mayweather avoids a much smaller Pacman which shows that he has no heart, therefore he would quit against those guys......or make ridiculous demands to avoid fights.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 12 Sep 2014

Floyd's best chance is against Benitez and Duran.  His absolute worst matchup is Hearns.  I just couldn't ever see Floyd beating Tommy.

SW20's Photo SW20 12 Sep 2014

View Postbazooka, on 12 September 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Floyd's best chance is against Benitez and Duran.  His absolute worst matchup is Hearns.  I just couldn't ever see Floyd beating Tommy.

Yeah, I can see Floyd giving Duran and Benitez a good fight, Hearns is not a good matchup for Floyd, it would not end well.

jlc80's Photo jlc80 12 Sep 2014

NEVER! I don't think i've ever heard anyone say otherwise but I wouldn't be surprised...

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 12 Sep 2014

View PostSW20, on 12 September 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

Yeah, Hearns is not a good matchup for Floyd, it would not end well.
MANE dey said dat bout Chico ane we see how dat ended

jermaine's Photo jermaine 12 Sep 2014

agreed

View PostShameLess, on 12 September 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

So are you the guy to pick Floyd over Tommy? :mellow:

Chico was not the man at any point in career that Tommy was in the ring.  Different tools.  Both were just tall with power, Tommy having a hell of alot more at 147.

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 12 Sep 2014

Foolish to even mention Chico (RIP) in the same sentence

View PostPacisthebest, on 12 September 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Or just say why fight the fights since it seems some can tell just from watching someone how they would fair.  Seems the exact same things people criticize fighters for now. You can't say all of those fighters own him and then say he wouldn't do as well.  How can one judge since all of these detractors all thinks he doesn't challenge himself or puts it on cruise control in the ring? Seems to me we just don't know how he would have fared and no amount of opponents in his weight class will ever give us a better idea.
The amount wouldn't have the same bearing as the quality would.

View PostPacisthebest, on 12 September 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

There is no quality at his weight class.  If he fights Pac and beats him, Pac was clearly old and at the end.  Thurman...he was green and limited.  Who else is there?  GGG at 154 might be, but surely weight drain would be an issue and counter argument.  Fact is that no one has made hard core fans question whether Floyd actually lost in the ring outside of JLC and even that's debatable.  I just don't see anyone at 147 or 154 that seems like they can break down that defense, but that's why they fight the fights.   He just wouldn't get any credit for beating them unless he's losing on the cards, bloody and busted up, and came back to win via KO/TKO.  That's the only way Floyd gets any real credit and we will just never see that unless he steps up to 160 or 168.
Do that and let the chips fall where they may. Credit will come accordingly.  I don't assume victories against solid opposition will get discredited, just put in its proper perspective when looked at.  It all starts with fighting the fights though.

View PostPacisthebest, on 12 September 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

Question...if Tommy and Floyd fought, what do you think T catches him with to lay him out?

The right hand due to his reach and height. He would have the trajectory imo to come over the shoulder that Floyd typically rolls the right hands with. Also, Hearns had a good jab and feinted pretty well too. Check how he set up Duran before the KO. I just don't think Floyd would be able to stay away the whole fight or be offensive enough to slow Hearns highly offensive style down. With all that being said, keep in mind Hearns best weight is 17lbs north of Floyd's so it's no knock on Mayweather.

Shaun Waller's Photo Shaun Waller 12 Sep 2014

Mancini can be a bit bitter at times, especially when it comes to current fighters.  I remember on espn classic when they were discussing the chico/castillo fight as far as how it ranked all time, Mancini ranted about hpw it wasn't that good of a fight, the fights in the 80's were better and that he'd seen gym fights that were better.  He just sounded like he was stuck in his era, lol