←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Can Maidana Finally Take Mayweather Down?

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 13 Sep 2014

Can Maidana finally take Mayweather down?

By TIM DAHLBERG

AP Boxing Writer

LAS VEGAS --  Floyd Mayweather Jr. saw enough of Marcos Maidana the last time around to know what to expect when they meet Saturday night in a surprisingly quick rematch.

That's the big reason why he spent a lot of time prior to the fight talking about the respect he has for referee Kenny Bayless, and the job he thinks Bayless needs to do if Maidana uses the same roughhouse tactics he employed in their first fight in May.

"I'm pretty sure he's (Maidana) going to be once again extremely dirty and wild, and my job is to keep everything under control the best way that I can," said Mayweather, who won the first fight by majority decision. "I was able to make the adjustments in the first fight and we'll see if he can make the adjustments this time."

Read more here: http://www.miamihera...l#storylink=cpy

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 13 Sep 2014

Maidana lost to alexander and khan. Life and death with Ortiz. Didn't belong with Floyd the first time, yet somehow did exceptionally well.

I don't expect a repeat.

But I won't be watching either.

Floyd has somehow been able to get whatever he wants, from having more say in his opponents' testing while his own details are hidden, to being able to deny commission approved gloves, to ridiculous purse differentials. And... Being able to pick and choose opponents, being able to dodge the most worthy challengers regardless of rankings, mandatories, etc.

Not paying for that jive.

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 13 Sep 2014

View Post9secondko, on 13 September 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

Maidana lost to alexander and khan. Life and death with Ortiz. Didn't belong with Floyd the first time, yet somehow did exceptionally well.

I don't expect a repeat.

But I won't be watching either.

Floyd has somehow been able to get whatever he wants, from having more say in his opponents' testing while his own details are hidden, to being able to deny commission approved gloves, to ridiculous purse differentials. And... Being able to pick and choose opponents, being able to dodge the most worthy challengers regardless of rankings, mandatories, etc.

Not paying for that jive.

Being top dawg has it's perks.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 13 Sep 2014

View Postatruesoutherngentleman, on 13 September 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Being top dawg has it's perks.

Yet taking the "sport" out of sports should never be one of them.

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 13 Sep 2014

View Post9secondko, on 13 September 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Yet taking the "sport" out of sports should never be one of them.

Yet he isn't doing anything that any other fighter wouldn't do if they were in his position. If Maidana were top dawg, they would be wearing the gloves and fighting in the ring of his choice.

That's if Maidana were so inclined to fight a little known fighter with that type of skill set. I doubt it, he'd be fighting hand-picked opponents as well.

And I doubt you'd be here talking about him taking the sport out of sports.