←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Mayweather-maidana Ii Does 925,000 Pay-per...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 18 Sep 2014

Below is a small excerpt from Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports latest... (please follow the link below to read the full article by Iole with more details on Yahoo.com):

Source: Mayweather-Maidana II does 925,000 pay-per-view buys

Posted Image
By Kevin Iole

Despite allowing himself to be mired into the domestic violence controversy involving ex-Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, it doesn't appear it hurt Floyd Mayweather at the box office.

A source who has been generally reliable on such numbers confirmed that Mayweather's rematch with Marcos Maidana on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden sold 925,000 pay-per-views. That is 25,000 better than their May fight, which sold roughly 900,000.

Showtime adopted a company policy earlier this year of not releasing pay-per-view figures, so Stephen Espinoza, Showtime's executive vice president and general manager, declined comment.

It was a difficult fight week for Mayweather, who weeks prior to the bout was embroiled in a controversy with hip-hop star Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson over Jackson's claim that Mayweather is illiterate. He was also sued by a former girlfriend who accused him of assault, battery and false imprisonment, among other charges.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE BY KEVIN IOLE ON YAHOO SPORTS AT: http://sports.yahoo....-182401464.html

simba's Photo simba 18 Sep 2014

:rolleyes:

simba, on 18 September 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

:rolleyes:

And CNN tried to trash the shit out of Floyd... but let's face it, and I am being honest, CNN is irrelevant and has a very poor TV ratings.  I wonder how they even turn a profit... thanks to Cable providers demanding TV bundling of channels.... and that shit is coming to an end.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 18 Sep 2014

Glax0r, on 18 September 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

And CNN tried to trash the shit out of Floyd... but let's face it, and I am being honest, CNN is irrelevant and has a very poor TV ratings.  I wonder how they even turn a profit... thanks to Cable providers demanding TV bundling of channels.... and that shit is coming to an end.
Did you buy the PPV?

johnnyblaze, on 18 September 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

Did you buy the PPV?

Yes.  I had to... it's a tax write off for me. If it wasn't work related... would I have bought it?  No, Sir.

simba's Photo simba 18 Sep 2014

Glax0r, on 18 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

Yes.  I had to... it's a tax write off for me. If it wasn't work related... would I have bought it?  No, Sir.
Same here, I use it for PR purposes.

Glax0r, on 18 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

Were they charging $78 bucks up there?

maybebabyny's Photo maybebabyny 18 Sep 2014

Whats the story on the release of numbers. Is there no independant organizations who verify this? This goes for all PPV not just Floyds. If it did bad numbers why would Showtime want to allow that to be put out there? I think Showtimes new policy of not releasing numbers says it all.

maybebabyny, on 18 September 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Whats the story on the release of numbers. Is there no independant organizations who verify this? This goes for all PPV not just Floyds. If it did bad numbers why would Showtime want to allow that to be put out there? I think Showtimes new policy of not releasing numbers says it all.
The estimated numbers being reported are based on data from the satellite and cable providers.

gdgills's Photo gdgills 18 Sep 2014

Well in two Quarters we can look at the Showtime/CBS see if they were hit or if revenue boomed. . . its at least a reliable indicator because they won't put misinfo out there and risk an SEC violation.

jermaine's Photo jermaine 18 Sep 2014

simba, on 18 September 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Same here, I use it for PR purposes.
you lying like a muphucka, you just know your philippino brothers would never forgive you if they knew you thought pbf was the perfect storm....lol

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 18 Sep 2014

If Showtime won't release the official numbers, that sounds like some Bob Arum shit, when PPV's don't do as well as expected.  I doubt it did more buys then last time out.  Hopefully people aren't that gullible.  I won't ever pay to see that guy fight again.  He repeatedly refuses to fight the best opposition

jermaine's Photo jermaine 18 Sep 2014

One thing we know for sure, if this same reporter wrote an article claiming rumors that the fight bombed, all the non-believers would be taking it as gospel....lol