←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Skeptics Fear Boxing Will Lack Star Power...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 22 Sep 2014

Skeptics fear boxing will lack star power after careers of Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao

By Santos A. Perez
Special to the Miami Herald

Skeptics predicted the end of pay-per-view attractions when Oscar De La Hoya was closing his successful career five years ago.

But even if with his skills descending, De La Hoya helped usher the transition to the next generation of marquee fighters. De La Hoya’s fights against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao provided both fighters the perfect platform for additional followers.

Mayweather and Pacquiao not only enhanced their profiles with victories over De La Hoya but they have become the sport’s reigning pay-per-view kingpins. And, although he lost bouts against the multi-division champions, Miguel Cotto also carved a piece of the premium fight landscape.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE MIAMI HERALD AT: http://www.miamihera...cle2195457.html

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 22 Sep 2014

Mane maybe some utha young niggas will carry da torch ya digs. cuz deez niggas here be glad wen Pac mane ane Mayweather leave mane.  fucks dat dey superstars like big booty nappy headed hos, weed ane cold king cobra be at a hood bbq.

gdgills's Photo gdgills 22 Sep 2014

This is the same thing they have always said.  It was there won't be anyone after Oscar and then here comes Floyd and Manny.  Someone will always be next.

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 22 Sep 2014

I can't wait until Pacman and Maywether retire.  It's time for new generation.  If anything, since the talk of Pac vs. Money started years and years ago... this feels like the LOST GENERATION of boxing.  The same thing for the Heavyweight division... thanks to the Klitschko Brothers, they need to retire also.

gdgills's Photo gdgills 22 Sep 2014

I think Floyd retiring will also allow the networks to invest more in the promotion of other new faces.  

One thing about paying 32million, that squeezes your budget for promoting new talent.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 23 Sep 2014

View PostGlax0r, on 22 September 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

I can't wait until Pacman and Maywether retire.  It's time for new generation.  If anything, since the talk of Pac vs. Money started years and years ago... this feels like the LOST GENERATION of boxing.  The same thing for the Heavyweight division... thanks to the Klitschko Brothers, they need to retire also.

I agree that the sport has felt like its held hostage by the desire for a manny and floyd fight.

But disagree on the klitchkos. They've simply fought everyone and are too good. They've fought everyone and at good times in those guys'careers too. They've proven their superiority. Versus floyd ducking and either waiting for guys to get old, get beat, or avoid them altogether, while SAYING he is the best.

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 23 Sep 2014

View Postgdgills, on 22 September 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

This is the same thing they have always said.  It was there won't be anyone after Oscar and then here comes Floyd and Manny.  Someone will always be next.

^ This.

simba's Photo simba 23 Sep 2014

View PostGlax0r, on 22 September 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Not yet, until a fighter or fighters can capture the imagination of the general public.  Though real boxing fans will always be loyal to the sport, it's the general public that pays the bills.

Pittbull's Photo Pittbull 23 Sep 2014

Somehow the sport of Boxing has lost focus. The heavyweight division is partly to blame.  In the past, we've looked upon the heavyweight division to represent the sport of Boxing. So far, it hasn't happened since Tyson and Holyfield. The sport is in desperate need for an American heavyweight champion.

When Pac and Floyd leave, someone has to carry the torch. Hopefully it's someone, who serves as an ambassador for the sport of Boxing.

R. Paterson's Photo R. Paterson 23 Sep 2014

View PostGlax0r, on 22 September 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Skeptics fear boxing will lack star power after careers of Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao

By Santos A. Perez
Special to the Miami Herald

Skeptics predicted the end of pay-per-view attractions when Oscar De La Hoya was closing his successful career five years ago.

But even if with his skills descending, De La Hoya helped usher the transition to the next generation of marquee fighters. De La Hoya’s fights against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao provided both fighters the perfect platform for additional followers.

Mayweather and Pacquiao not only enhanced their profiles with victories over De La Hoya but they have become the sport’s reigning pay-per-view kingpins. And, although he lost bouts against the multi-division champions, Miguel Cotto also carved a piece of the premium fight landscape.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE MIAMI HERALD AT: http://www.miamihera...cle2195457.html

Glaxor.  As an admin, please review your personal messenger.  This is my third request.  Thanks a lot.

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 23 Sep 2014

View PostR. Paterson, on 23 September 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

Glaxor.  As an admin, please review your personal messenger.  This is my third request.  Thanks a lot.

Glax,

This guy keeps asking.  Can you check your Personal Messenger for this guy?

Thanks in advance.

gdgills's Photo gdgills 23 Sep 2014

In a strange way I think Manny and Floyd are setting the stage for a come back in boxing.  People see and know hoe lucrative thid career can be. Some see Floyds flashy hollywoodesque persona and want that lifestyle some will see the power and admiration Manny sparks in his homeland.  They also see that neither Floyd nor Manny are suffering the debilitating brain injuries that used to be associated with all former boxers. That next guy is in some gym somewhere dreaming of his opportunity.  I cant help but believe this.