←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Paul Smith Jnr Interview

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 24 Sep 2014

Paul Smith Jnr: Teaching boxing at school would get rid of a lot of bullies and promote discipline and respect

My School Sport: Paul Smith Jnr challenges for the World Boxing Organisation super-middleweight title against Arthur Abraham on Saturday night in Kiel, Germany

By Gareth A Davies

23 Sep 2014

Where did you go to school and was sport an important part of school life?
I went to St John’s Primary School in Liverpool. It produced some sportsmen: me, my brothers, Stephen, Callum and Liam, all pro boxers who are ranked by a sanctioning body in their respective divisions, and then in football, Steve McManaman and Scott Dann. Then I went to Archbishop Beck Sports Academy for secondary school. It was one of the best in the city for sport. It still is. When I was going away to box for England, the England schoolboys were skint at the time and I needed sponsorship of £500. The school gave me £250 and the parents’ association gave me the other £250. The school would always give me time off to go. The PE teachers would also let me rest or go easy if I had a fight coming up. I still got good grades and marks because I enjoyed my school work.

Did you excel at other sports?
In primary school, I won the Liverpool Swimming Gala. I did breaststroke. I am still a good swimmer now. At secondary school, I played for the football team. It seemed as though the better I got at boxing, the worse I got at football. I was in the cricket team as well and I represented the school at shot put. I represented the school in shot put. I came second place once, but that was about it.

How did your boxing career progress at school?
The better I got at boxing, and the more time I dedicated to it, the less I was bothered about the other sports. They all seemed to go on the back-burner. I couldn’t go to football training, for example, because I had boxing training the same night.

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW ON THE TELEGRAPH AT: http://www.telegraph...nd-respect.html