←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Paul Smith Believes He Is Facing Wbo Champ...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 24 Sep 2014

Paul Smith believes he is facing WBO champion Arthur Abraham at the perfect time

Paul Smith believes his first world title shot against Arthur Abraham has arrived at a perfect time in his career.
The Liverpudlian will challenge Abraham for his WBO super-middleweight belt in Germany this Saturday, live on Sky Sports 2.

Standing in Smith’s way is an experienced champion, who has held world titles at two weights, and shared the ring with the likes of Carl Froch, Andre Ward and Jermain Taylor. But the 31-year-old challenger has revived his fortunes with four straight wins since recovering from a broken hand, while Abraham reclaimed his belt in a second brutal encounter with Robert Stieglitz.  

"Boxing is all about timing,” Smith told Sky Sports News HQ. “You look at all the great fights, all of the champions, and ask if the fight was made a few years earlier would it have been a different story?

“Lewis-Tyson, Holyfield-Tyson, you look at those fights and timing is key in all of them. I believe timing is the key in this fight.”

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON SKY SPORTS AT: http://www1.skysport...he-perfect-time

SIMENEWT's Photo SIMENEWT 24 Sep 2014

I think he is a Tyson fan.

mike john's Photo mike john 24 Sep 2014

View PostGlax0r, on 24 September 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

“Lewis-Tyson, Holyfield-Tyson,"

yes, these 2 fights instantly came to my mind when thinking of abraham-smith

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 24 Sep 2014

View Postmike john, on 24 September 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

yes, these 2 fights instantly came to my mind when thinking of abraham-smith

:lol:

More like Tyson vs Etienne.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 27 Sep 2014

abraham decision win.

117-111 - twice
119-109

most had it close for abraham on the other boards.

not watching.

got motd on here. :D

mike john's Photo mike john 27 Sep 2014

abraham taking it is fair, the scorecards are the controversy here.

on a side note, i know jim watts commentating gets a lot of stick, but i find nick halling to be far worse. his commentary so laughably biased, ive noticed my self starting to root against the british fighter because of it

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 27 Sep 2014

might watch the re-run later.

then again might not.

used to like watching abraham fight.

having competitive fights with guys like smith is the day when it's catching up with him.

dazzler's Photo dazzler 28 Sep 2014

View Posthitman_hatton1, on 27 September 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

might watch the re-run later.

then again might not.

used to like watching abraham fight.

having competitive fights with guys like smith is the day when it's catching up with him.

Well I watched it, alone on the sofa, and managed to fall asleep between rounds 2 and 7.  I definitely should have stayed asleep.  Definitely not recommended :lol:

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 28 Sep 2014

i didn't remember until the undercard was well underway.

just felt like watching motd instead.

one thing i will say.

get abraham to the uk and degale would take that title away.

who's next. :D

SIMENEWT's Photo SIMENEWT 28 Sep 2014

Close fight. Would say a draw is fair. Disgusting cards. Smith deserves rematch. Abraham has serious stamina issues. A good body attack when he covers up all fight and he is fucked. Degale or groves take him out. Would prefer a smith rematch though. Judges robbing people of chances to make a fortune, fucking riles me up. Well done Paul smith. Didn't expect him to get the nod but you can fuck off with them scores. To be fair our British judging has been pretty fucking woeful lately too.

stevieb_8006's Photo stevieb_8006 28 Sep 2014

Thought AA just won it vs a very spirited effort. TBH smith was lucky to get a shot in the first place. He can be proud of his effort, the scores were ridiculous, but the right man won.

I thought macklin looked VERY shopworn. It's definitely catching up with him.

Also, groves is being MASSIVELY overated on the strength of the 1st froch fight. I think his moments passed.

mike john's Photo mike john 28 Sep 2014

View Poststevieb_8006, on 28 September 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

Thought AA just won it vs a very spirited effort. TBH smith was lucky to get a shot in the first place. He can be proud of his effort, the scores were ridiculous, but the right man won.

I thought macklin looked VERY shopworn. It's definitely catching up with him.

Also, groves is being MASSIVELY overated on the strength of the 1st froch fight. I think his moments passed.

the general consensus regarding groves that i share is, he didnt beat froch, wouldnt beat ward, and would have a good shot at everyone else. i dont see anyone MASSIVELY overating him at all.

stevieb_8006's Photo stevieb_8006 28 Sep 2014

View Postmike john, on 28 September 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

the general consensus regarding groves that i share is, he didnt beat froch, wouldnt beat ward, and would have a good shot at everyone else. i dont see anyone MASSIVELY overating him at all.
well all I ever seem to read is what a thunderous puncher he is and how snappy his jab is. Lots of talk of how he's a future world champ, when he fades late and is chinny.

mike john's Photo mike john 28 Sep 2014

View Poststevieb_8006, on 28 September 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

well all I ever seem to read is what a thunderous puncher he is and how snappy his jab is. Lots of talk of how he's a future world champ, when he fades late and is chinny.

his punching power is overated. with regards to his standing and potential, most see him in about the right place